does Microsoft moderate its apps in the market place ?

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
That's one thing I hate about android, Google will let any app come on the play store. Remember the false BBM app that did nothing but tell you to rate it 5 stars and then just give you a blank screen when you did. Then there's the issue of poor comparability and reliability (works one second and freezes the next.

Is it the same with Windows phone market ? Or are they like Apple who moderate and test all apps first and only the premium ones make it to the app store ?

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
More like Apple

Doubt it. Otherwise the store wouldn't be filled with fake, cloned apps. It's not a totally free ride like Google Play Store, but it's pretty close. I mean there was a 'Windows Phone 8.1' app on the store recently, and it was paid. Only because Tom Warren tweeted about it was it deleted in the end.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Doubt it.

You don't understand.

Every app is tested by an automated screening process (checks for malware, including a few rudimentary checks for criminal intent, and adherence to a few hundred programming guidelines and standards). Each app is also briefly reviewed manually, but MS tries not to judge whether the app is worthwhile or useful. Whether an app violates trademarks or someone's ToCs also isn't of much interest to MS (unless it is their own IP). An app that is nothing but a blank screen wouldn't get passed, but it doesn't require much more than that either.

So, the app store is most definitely moderated. What is open to debate is if it's moderated to much or not enough, for which we will never have a definitive answer.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
You don't understand.

Every app is tested by an automated screening process (checks for malware, including a few rudimentary checks for criminal intent, and adherence to a few hundred programming guidelines and standards). Each app is also briefly reviewed manually, but MS tries not to judge whether the app is worthwhile or useful. Whether an app violates trademarks or someone's ToCs also isn't of much interest to MS (unless it is their own IP). An app that is nothing but a blank screen wouldn't get passed, but it doesn't require much more than that either.

So, the app store is most definitely moderated. What is open to debate is if it's moderated to much or not enough, for which we will never have a definitive answer.

But has anyone come across any poor quality apps ? (freezing, lagging, not responding, crashing, very poor content etc...)

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
There's been an increase in the amount of crap apps on the store and I'm less than pleased with it. Its going the android way where i have to double check if its the official thing or a rip-off.

I'd prefer to have an underpopulated store rather than the state it is currently in. I sure hope Microsoft cracks down on it soon...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But has anyone come across any poor quality apps ? (freezing, lagging, not responding, crashing, very poor content etc...)

Yes. It happens. Think of MS as a security guard, not as every developers free-of-cost QA department. IMHO MS should not try to be more than a security guard either, because what I think is a crappy app, someone else might find very useful, even if that is only the original developer. There are also many examples of apps that started life in a shoddy state, but became very successful as they matured. MS shouldn't get in the way of that process. Let the market decide. However, I do think it would be helpful if MS tried to crack down on apps that try to pass themselves off as something else, but that is a different issue.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Doubt it. Otherwise the store wouldn't be filled with fake, cloned apps. It's not a totally free ride like Google Play Store, but it's pretty close. I mean there was a 'Windows Phone 8.1' app on the store recently, and it was paid. Only because Tom Warren tweeted about it was it deleted in the end.
There are alot of **** apps in the appstore too, I remember an app claiming to be a minecraft like game but in fact it was some puzzling with nothing even resembling minecraft or blocks.Screenshots didn't match, and it was paid.
As far as i know it never got pulled

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
There is an Android market called 1mobile. You haven't seen crap until you've seen that. There are like 40 bogus BBM apps alone. Some apps that even have the correct screen shots but the author is someone else. Terrible. I deleted that store from my phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z30 using WPCentral Forums app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon