I recently came into a bit of money and was thinking of switching from my Moto X. Only Problem is the fact I am on Verizon. I was thinking of switching to AT&T where the most WP8 action is happening. I love Moto X dearly but, I really want to delete my Google account but, as everyone knows to separate Google and Android is nigh impossible nowadays, so I just ant to get a new phone. So my quick questions:

How is POI search? Is it as bad as everyone (read: tech blogs) says?

Google Maps vs HERE Maps, would I be disappointed with the Maps situation, coming from Google Maps?

Nokia Lumia 1020, Yay or Nay?

Pocket and Evernote, are they available or have good third party alternatives?

Any help is appreciated. I have a HP Split X2 and transitioning to WP would be easier ( I am a big Microsoft services user).
    01-26-2014 08:56 AM
    I recently came into a bit of money and was thinking of switching from my Moto X. Only Problem is the fact I am on Verizon. I was thinking of switching to AT&T where the most WP8 action is happening. I love Moto X dearly but, I really want to delete my Google account but, as everyone knows to separate Google and Android is nigh impossible nowadays, so I just ant to get a new phone. So my quick questions:

How is POI search? Is it as bad as everyone (read: tech blogs) says?

Google Maps vs HERE Maps, would I be disappointed with the Maps situation, coming from Google Maps?

Nokia Lumia 1020, Yay or Nay?

Pocket and Evernote, are they available or have good third party alternatives?

Any help is appreciated. I have a HP Split X2 and transitioning to WP would be easier ( I am a big Microsoft services user).
    1) No
    2) No... to note Here Maps has never taken me to a place that didn't exist and has never said something was there that wasn't. I have had both of these issues with Google Maps. What's the use in having a great search engine if you get it wrong.
    3) If you need a great device with a great camera you won't be disappointed.
    4) Evernote has an official app, not sure about pocket.
    A895 and snowmutt like this.
    01-26-2014 09:32 AM
    Ok, fist of all congratulations for the $$.
    WP was one of the best experiences I had with mobile OS ( I used IOS, BB, and the almighty simbian. Never used android heavily though ). If you where not one of those guys who wants the the latest apps Now, you will be happy as WP has a good selection of apps now.
    A- You don't really need to swich to at&t since the Lumia 929 is coming to Verizon. And as far as the leaks go... Its a great phone.

B- here maps is functional, accurate and in combination with here transit can be a great tool for navigation.
    C- about the 1020, its a Nay if you asked me ( unless you are a photographer). Since the next big phones are coming, and you don't want a dated phone.

Official evernote is here, and it works just fine. And pocket alternatives are also available, and they are good, one of them is Poki and its coming soon to the store.

Hope that I did help you. Good luck!
    A895 likes this.
    01-26-2014 10:12 AM
    Moto x is the best android phone out there right now. While we have some good phones, i don't think we have anything that good right now.
    01-26-2014 10:13 AM
    Ok, fist of all congratulations for the $$.
    WP was one of the best experiences I had with mobile OS ( I used IOS, BB, and the almighty simbian. Never used android heavily though ). If you where not one of those guys who wants the the latest apps Now, you will be happy as WP has a good selection of apps now.
    A- You don't really need to swich to at&t since the Lumia 929 is coming to Verizon. And as far as the leaks go... Its a great phone.

B- here maps is functional, accurate and in combination with here transit can be a great tool for navigation.
    C- about the 1020, its a Nay if you asked me ( unless you are a photographer). Since the next big phones are coming, and you don't want a dated phone.

Official evernote is here, and it works just fine. And pocket alternatives are also available, and they are good, one of them is Poki and its coming soon to the store.

Hope that I did help you. Good luck!
    I chose the Lumia 1020 because its a good device, are you saying I should wait?
    01-26-2014 10:36 AM
    Moto x is the best android phone out there right now. While we have some good phones, i don't think we have anything that good right now.
    What makes you think that?
    01-26-2014 10:36 AM
    What makes you think that?
    The first part or the last part?
    01-26-2014 11:37 AM
    I chose the Lumia 1020 because its a good device, are you saying I should wait?
    Some people find the lenses bulb to big.

I had it for 4 weeks while promoting Nokia WPs, and must say there's absolutely nothing wrong with this phone, but for some people size matters.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    01-26-2014 11:44 AM
    I switched from android to WP a little over a month ago and had a great Android phone before (Motorola RAZR HD). I really don't miss it at all with the exception of the HDMI output that the Motorola had.
    Windows phone is much more polished than Android in my opinion. Even though there aren't as many apps, 90% of the android ones are garbage anyway

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 via Tapatalk
    01-26-2014 05:16 PM
    The first part or the last part?
    Last.
    01-26-2014 07:35 PM
    I used Here Maps on my recent trip to Miami and it was amazing! I actually plotted several points either through the phone or through the site and they were sync'd with no issues. It defeinitely does the job well.

I use OneNote and i'm absolutely addicted to it. I use it on my desktop all the time and have shared notebooks (like family grocery lists) and it syncs without issues. OneNote works with Iphones and android as well.

Where you may have some issues is with Notifications. I cannot express how disappointed i am with Notifications on the windows platform. I know they'll be an update in a few months which will happily fix the issues. I recently picked up a Z10 as my daily communication driver and i really don't understand how Microsoft could go so long without fixing these issues. Even blackberry is miles ahead. But i do love my Nokia 920 which i use for Mapping, OneNote, Xbox Music and some other social media stuff like Instagram etc. I love carrying two devices around.
    01-27-2014 03:13 PM
    I used Here Maps on my recent trip to Miami and it was amazing! I actually plotted several points either through the phone or through the site and they were sync'd with no issues. It defeinitely does the job well.

I use OneNote and i'm absolutely addicted to it. I use it on my desktop all the time and have shared notebooks (like family grocery lists) and it syncs without issues. OneNote works with Iphones and android as well.

Where you may have some issues is with Notifications. I cannot express how disappointed i am with Notifications on the windows platform. I know they'll be an update in a few months which will happily fix the issues. I recently picked up a Z10 as my daily communication driver and i really don't understand how Microsoft could go so long without fixing these issues. Even blackberry is miles ahead. But i do love my Nokia 920 which i use for Mapping, OneNote, Xbox Music and some other social media stuff like Instagram etc. I love carrying two devices around.
    Whats the problem with Windows Phone notifications?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    01-27-2014 08:41 PM
    Whats the problem with Windows Phone notifications?
    In short, they may or may not work. They're unreliable.
    01-27-2014 08:45 PM
    Can you post specific examples?

01-28-2014 04:25 AM
    Can you post specific examples?

There are plenty of complaints about Facebook, Whatsapp, and Skype notifications. Look around.
    01-28-2014 06:55 AM
    Simple..there's no central location for all notifications. Its quite easy to miss a notification. An app like Skype which i rarely use and have the icon buried at the bottom of my homescreen can easily be missed for hours. The lockscreen only has room for 6 notifications. The rest of them are found on the homescreen and if you miss the initial "popup notification" it can be a while before you notice it. There's no LED light either which I find just as terrible. For most people i guess they're content but i know they can do a lot better. It will come so i'm not too worried. I just know when it does arrive people will understand why so many people complained before.
    01-28-2014 08:18 AM
    Simple..there's no central location for all notifications. Its quite easy to miss a notification. An app like Skype which i rarely use and have the icon buried at the bottom of my homescreen can easily be missed for hours. The lockscreen only has room for 6 notifications. The rest of them are found on the homescreen and if you miss the initial "popup notification" it can be a while before you notice it. There's no LED light either which I find just as terrible. For most people i guess they're content but i know they can do a lot better. It will come so i'm not too worried. I just know when it does arrive people will understand why so many people complained before.
    So if I understand correctly, if you miss the popup, you don't know? I thought the live tiles update?

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    02-03-2014 07:14 PM
    Bump. Only because I am thinking of staying on VZW with the HTC 8X. They are going for $138 in excellent condition on ebay, or new for $170. The lumia 928 is staying well into the $200-$300s for an excellent condition to new. I really do want to try windows phone. Might even sell my Moto X.
    02-05-2014 07:21 AM
    NO he means get the 6inch phones or the upcoming Lumia Icon (a.k.a 928)..
    02-10-2014 04:41 AM
    If you're really impatient, get a cheap 8X. Chances are you'll even regret parting with it afterwards, lol.

Now, I'm going to advise you to wait till after MWC before making your final verdict.
    02-10-2014 05:41 AM
    You don't want to downgrade to a windows phone you just need to learn to how to use android better, near impossible from where I am posting this now I can disconnect my Google account in approx 6 screen touches. It's easy just Google how. But if you are persistent to get a new phone I would recommend looking into Sony's Xpeia range as they are all very high quality and all run a customised version of android which is neater and cleaner than the others.
    02-12-2014 06:35 PM