02-07-2014 03:03 PM
33 12
tools
    Reading comments across the net, it's crazy all the revisionist historians out there who want to pretend that the only thing Ballmer did in his decade+ tenure is string together one failure after another. Ballmer took over (IIRC) in 2000. He tripled revenues, tripled profit, and created over a dozen multi-billion dollar lines of business. All the man did was make money, ending his tenure with record revenues last quarter. Countless CEOs wish they had that sort of legacy. Ballmer did what I expect CEOs to do - make tons of money for the company. I don't want to diminish his failures but I'm also not going to downplay his success. It's funny watching the haters and armchair analyst rush to discredit Ballmer, all-the-while Microsoft is swimming in cash like Scrooge McDuck.
    stmav, dkediger, theefman and 1 others like this.
    02-05-2014 09:27 AM
    That is why a CEO of a company like MS gets paid in the 100s of millions.
    Actually, all reports online indicate a base salary of $1.2M with an estimated (current dollars) stock/bonus package of up to $16M for a potential total of $18M. Or so.
    02-05-2014 10:15 AM
    I hope you are right, but that he'll be able to prevent every PR blunder is probably unrealistic. Even if he was perfect and never made mistakes himself, he has no chance of catching every problem before it happens. A CEO of a company of MS' size just can't be involved in all the details at that level. Revising company policy could certainly prevent the problem you mentioned, but it's unlikely he could have prevented the communication disaster that was the XB1 introduction. At some point a CEO just has to trust his lieutenants, because nobody can get into all the technical and marketing details of a company with over 100'000 employees.

CEOs are certainly important, but it seems to me that importance is often overrated. Maybe that is a side affect of American celebrity culture. I don't know. CEOs often get all the credit and take all the blame, when often times happenstance or their competitions actions are more important than anything they themselves could have done. Furthermore, true innovation almost always occurs in a garage or a back office, where a single engineer has an idea which a team decides is worth developing, and is eventually nurtured into a presentable concept. A CEO's most important role is to foster an environment where that happens often. Rarely does innovation occur from the top down, the way many here seem to think it does. I can't think of a single one of MS' technologies that started life in an executive's office.

Anyway, the primary means by which a CEO leads a company of this size is by the people he/she appoints, by focusing the company on a single vision, and by setting examples and expectations. That will be no different for Mr. Nadella.
    I'm not saying that he'll be perfect. Hell, every company has made PR mistakes from Apple and Apple Maps or Google with.... Well there's too many to count, but he could enact a stricter policy on releasing things to other platforms where a new product is always on Windows Phone before or at the same time as other platforms.

From what I've seen, developers really like this guy and he says that he first wants to make good connections with their partners so we could soon see a lot more 3rd party support.
    a5cent likes this.
    02-05-2014 11:26 AM
    That is why a CEO of a company like MS gets paid in the 100s of millions. His is the responsibility, no matter what. Also, if you think the CEO was not involved in the launch of a device as important as the X-1, I'd like to have some of whatever you're smoking :)
    I said CEOs can't be concerned with all the details. Why you think I said a CEO would be completely uninvolved I do not know. Those are two completely different things.

I won't comment on pay level. I disagree with you but it's besides the point.

I suspect Ballmer was very much involved in the decision that the XB team should push the home media centre aspect (an idea that goes back to Bill Gates more than it does to Ballmer). I could also imagine that he never explicitly stated that the existing model for using and selling XB games mustn't be altered. Ballmer was most certainly involved in specifying goals, cost constraints, and figuring out how to coordinate efforts between the Windows and Xbox teams. However, if you think he sat down and reviewed the script for the XB1's launch event then you're the one who should be passing me the weed ;-)
    02-05-2014 01:48 PM
    I seems really smart, sophisticated and professional. I've been rooting for this guy since the beginning, mostly because he's such a huge "cosmetic" improvement:

Attachment 55913Attachment 55914

Just look at that guy. He's like an awesome, non-arrogant, Indian version of Steve Jobs.
    Is that Rob Ford on the left?
    02-07-2014 09:14 AM
    From what I've seen, developers really like this guy and he says that he first wants to make good connections with their partners so we could soon see a lot more 3rd party support.
    Hey, what's wrong with Steve Ballmer in this department? What was he proclaiming when this picture was taken?

steve_ballmer.jpg
    02-07-2014 09:28 AM
    I really don't know much about Nadella, just what everybody has been saying in the last several days. I think it's good to see an engineer helm Microsoft again. Not that Balmer's sales background was a liability, but it seems to me that good CEOs were engineers: Bill Gates and Alan Mulaley being two examples.
    02-07-2014 09:57 AM
    Hey, what's wrong with Steve Ballmer in this department? What was he proclaiming when this picture was taken?
    I think this was the "developers-developers-developers" thingy. I made an illustration based on this which was used by WPCentral a while back, actually! Microsoft looking to find Steve Ballmer's successor by the end of 2013 | Windows Phone Central

Here's hoping I'll never have to make an illustration like that of Satya Nadella, but I like my chances.
    02-07-2014 03:03 PM
33 12