Why is Microsoft backtracking on its vision

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Install a non-metro PDF reader. Acrobat Reader, FoxIt, or Firefox. You can work in Windows 8 and literally never see Metro if you don't want to.

I am fully aware that I can do that. But it's another annoying step that I shouldn't have to take, and that many people will not take. It's not only PDF files - I found lots of situations where I was dumped back into metro. :-(

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I am fully aware that I can do that. But it's another annoying step that I shouldn't have to take, and that many people will not take. It's not only PDF files - I found lots of situations where I was dumped back into metro. :-(

setting defaults is a one time thing.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The thing is that metro is there, and it is going to be there. If you have a serious problem with it, the onus is on you to change the behavior of your PC to not use the metro apps. I don't mind using the metro PDF viewer at all. But I don't like to double-click on images in the Windows shell and launching the metro picture viewer. To me, that is jarring and a little annoying. Therefore, I set the default program for all image files to be the old Windows image viewer. It is just something you need to set the first time on a file by file basis, then you're set.

I mean, there has to be a default. If you default it to the desktop version, then you're "backtracking on the metro vision". If you default it to the metro app, then they are "forcing metro upon you". There's really no way for it to be perfect out of the box for everyone.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
The thing is that metro is there, and it is going to be there. If you have a serious problem with it, the onus is on you to change the behavior (sic) of your PC to not use the metro apps.

Well, seems like I will have to switch to Linux. Nice one Steve!

Btw, it's 'behaviour'.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Nah, not afraid. If they were afraid, just sit on their massive money maker in Enterprise and not done a thing different. They went all in on Windows 8 and Windows Phone and the Live Tile experience on XBOX, their Cloud service and their email. This was a gutsy move and they are 100% betting on themselves to make it work.

Now, confused? Oh yeah, they can't seem to agree on a model to make things work. I am seeing confused as well.

How can we call this gutsy? If it had been so that they made Windows 8 such that you could not go back to the desktop at all, 100% Metro and only Metro, then yes. This is like they are caught in the middle with no real idea what to do. WP8 is clearly not a focus area as of now, given the glacial rate of updates and adding much-requested features. I can only assume that it's like a side project and not an important thing.

tardismatrix22

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
If Microsoft really wanted to own the market, they have to make it so any app on windows 8.1 will work on windows phone. Also they have to remove the traditional desktop. These two things will make Microsoft sky rocket.

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
If they remove the desktop the skyrocket will fly straight into the ground, and it would be the biggest gift that they could give Apple IMO. I can imagine the Apple ads now telling disgruntled Windows users forced to use the modern UI that Apple hasn't abandoned their desktop UI. People don't like to be forced into using anything especially if there are viable alternatives to Windows, and IMO there is no great love for MS among the public at large.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
op, while you, and a few people here on wpcentral may like it, the market has spoken... loudly

the masses don't like change generally, and really don't like forced change. they do not want, or care about w8 new interface. they just want the desktop they're used to.

that is why Microsoft is regrouping

ininjam

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Unlike you guys, I don't know if I belong to the intelligence class. Perhaps I am quite stupid. Whatever, I don't like metro. I find it ugly and awkward to use on a PC - and I'm not the only one. I would like Microsoft to allow me to easily avoid it. That doesn't just mean booting to the desktop, it also means not throwing me back into metro when I open a PDF (for example).

Well that's not really a good example in my opinion. Me, I'm just grateful that we now have a decent out-of-the-box way of viewing pdf at all. Of course, if you choose to install and default your pdf viewing (for example) to a desktop program, that's completely fine and to your taste. And it won't be anything different from anything before Windows 8. Complaining that Microsoft should've made something they've given us in a consistent package this way and that way, well, to me that's just for complaining's sake.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Well that's not really a good example in my opinion. Me, I'm just grateful that we now have a decent out-of-the-box way of viewing pdf at all. Of course, if you choose to install and default your pdf viewing (for example) to a desktop program, that's completely fine and to your taste. And it won't be anything different from anything before Windows 8. Complaining that Microsoft should've made something they've given us in a consistent package this way and that way, well, to me that's just for complaining's sake.

I don't really get your point (clearly I'm not in this so called 'intelligence class'). What is it not a good example of? I don't see this as "complaining for complaining's sake". I see it as complaining because a new product is worse than an old product, and I now spend much more time using Linux and iOS rather than Windows because of it. And as I said before, the PDF viewer is just one example of this behaviour - it happens in so many situations. Nice one Steve!
But as I'm not a member of your intelligence class, no doubt this is just my ignorance and stupidity. If my mind was as developed as yours, no doubt I would love jumping between the desktop and metro all the time.

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
When it comes to PC people are set in their ways. I worked IT for AT&T and I heard nothing but complaints coming from both our employees and customers. Personally I welcomed the change of Windows 8, it was something new to the PC world. And to be honest it was something that was needed from MS if they were to truly get into the mobile world. Hopefully the update will be something of a guiding hand for people to ease into the future.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, they need to do away with desktop and make it so you can be just as productive in "Metro" (or whatever they decide to call it as they did away with Metro). That means a way of the desktop style apps running in the new UI as well as a powerful file manager. Those can be done, and the desktop needs to go. I know a few Windows 8 users that don't even use the new UI, and Microsoft needs to expose people to it so they and the company can move forward.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry

I agree with this.

I do like Windows 8/8.1 but as with anything it could be better. I do think it would much much simplier if Microsoft had a Modern UI version and a Desktop version of Windows so there was no switching back and forth, it's either one or the other. I do think that would solve so much confusion especially with RT. RT is not meant to be a desktop OS, it's a tablet OS but the people walking into Best Buy or Walmart see the Windows name and automatically think it runs all my programs. Simplicity is key and this would be much easier, RT does not need a desktop since it only runs Modern apps.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, let's try this from a different angle.
1. What advantage is it for me to use metro rather than the desktop on my PC? Please bear in mind that I don't like metro.
2. What advantage is it to Microsoft to dump me back in metro so regularly? Please once again bear in mind that I don't like metro, and that alternative OS's are available.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok, let's try this from a different angle.
1. What advantage is it for me to use metro rather than the desktop on my PC? Please bear in mind that I don't like metro.
2. What advantage is it to Microsoft to dump me back in metro so regularly? Please once again bear in mind that I don't like metro, and that alternative OS's are available.

Why not just boot to desktop then?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Why not just boot to desktop then?

I think you missed my earlier posts. Even if I boot to desktop, Windows dumps me back into metro regularly, for example when I open a PDF, but also in many other situations. It's a lot of effort to avoid metro completely, and much easier to stick with Windows 7 (or Linux). How does this benefit either me or Microsoft?

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I think you missed my earlier posts. Even if I boot to desktop, Windows dumps me back into metro regularly, for example when I open a PDF, but also in many other situations. It's a lot of effort to avoid metro completely, and much easier to stick with Windows 7 (or Linux). How does this benefit either me or Microsoft?

set the default to use the desktop adobe reader. That will solve your problem. Pc settings > search and apps > set default by file type.
Or in file explorer, right click on the pdf file > open with > choose default program.
If there's a way to avoid the metro UI, its cannot be a problem for you, and you aren't being dumped anywhere at all.theres a perfectly simple and effective way to avoid the metro pdf reader. in fact, even in windows 7 I had set defaults for .jpg .png .bmp files so that they would open in the program I wanted. Its not asking a lot.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
set the default to use the desktop adobe reader. That will solve your problem. Pc settings > search and apps > set default by file type.
Or in file explorer, right click on the pdf file > open with > choose default program.
If there's a way to avoid the metro UI, its cannot be a problem for you, and you aren't being dumped anywhere at all.theres a perfectly simple and effective way to avoid the metro pdf reader. in fact, even in windows 7 I had set defaults for .jpg .png .bmp files so that they would open in the program I wanted. Its not asking a lot.

As I said, I found many situations where I was dumped back into metro. Let me repeat as the message doesn't seem to be getting through - many situations. Many situations. PDF viewing is just one example. I am fully aware, as I said, that settings can be changed for each situation. Please read that sentence again so I don't have to repeat it.
Anyway, I think the discussion on application defaults has run its course. More interesting is the view above that Microsoft should drop the desktop entirely and force everyone to use metro all the time. I think that would be stupid. What do others think?

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
As I said, I found many situations where I was dumped back into metro. Let me repeat as the message doesn't seem to be getting through - many situations. Many situations. PDF viewing is just one example. I am fully aware, as I said, that settings can be changed for each situation. Please read that sentence again so I don't have to repeat it.
Anyway, I think the discussion on application defaults has run its course. More interesting is the view above that Microsoft should drop the desktop entirely and force everyone to use metro all the time. I think that would be stupid. What do others think?

so you've never customised your desktop mode, no wallpapers, screensavers, battery mode, brightness, choice of music player, etc? If you dont want to try, you can't fix your problems. Anyway, it seems you have made up your mind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett