Microsoft prefering other OSes for certain things, I'm making a video about it. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a loyal Microsoft fan. I own (in newer devices) a Lumia 920, Surface Pro 2, and an Xbox One. And many things Microsoft does are great. But as you guys know, many things Microsoft does are TERRIBLE moves. I'll name a few; Skype on WP8 is inferior to Android and iOS. They have file sharing, voice messaging, and an all better experience. And this shouldn't be a "WP8 doesn't support this" type of thing. The other thing came up recently, Bing Rewards coming to iOS and Android, but not WP yet (it's "coming soon"). I mean, Bing Rewards isn't a huge thing, but it is just annoying how AGAIN, they choose to release it on the competitors' platforms first.

Now, I know there was many other situations where Microsoft gave their competitors a superior experience to Microsoft products than their own customers, and this is what I need to know, as I'm going to make a video about it. So let me ask, could you guys please list and maybe explain what things Microsoft has done like this? And it can be from 5 years ago till now, just anything that is important.

Thanks. :smile:

siva bharathi

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Wifi direct option for sharing music files and videos.. Sharing via Bluetooth takes much more time..

Sent from my RM-825_eu_israel_400 using Tapatalk

siva bharathi

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
And also otg support , grid view in applications, home screen background image(black&white very boring)..

Sent from my RM-825_eu_israel_400 using Tapatalk

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
They have monetized Skype and is a separate profit unit. The Skype developers will focus on putting out features to make the premium/pay users (or potential) have the most benefits first. I get it. Bottom line is that Skype will have the most bang for the buck on iOS/Android devices.

Interestingly, on BlackBerry World, the name of the developer for Skype is Skype. But the MSN app is Microsoft Corp. It does appear that they do treat Skype as a separate business unit in some way. As a side note, Skype on bb10 is an Android app, not native BB10.

Posted via the WPC App for Android! on BlackBerry Z30

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
... It does appear that they do treat Skype as a separate business unit in some way. ...

In fairness, Skype was a separate business not that long ago. Microsoft bought Skype less than three years ago. Apps for iOS and Android were either already in the works or had been released at that time. Windows Phone 7 had just been released about 6 months earlier.

It takes some time and planning to change the direction of an acquired company without causing disruption or destroying it in the process. A lot of people were very critical of the MS buyout and were threatening to leave Skype and use a competitor's service. They assumed MS would turn Skype into a Windows/Microsoft only service. MS had to tread lightly and hold up the promises they made to existing Skype customers that they would keep the system open and widely available. I'm not saying that they couldn't do a better job on the Windows Phone app/integration, but I don't want them to provide a lesser experience on other platforms just because Windows Phone hasn't caught up.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
In fairness, Skype was a separate business not that long ago. Microsoft bought Skype less than three years ago. Apps for iOS and Android were either already in the works or had been released at that time. Windows Phone 7 had just been released about 6 months earlier.

It takes some time and planning to change the direction of an acquired company without causing disruption or destroying it in the process. A lot of people were very critical of the MS buyout and were threatening to leave Skype and use a competitor's service. They assumed MS would turn Skype into a Windows/Microsoft only service. MS had to tread lightly and hold up the promises they made to existing Skype customers that they would keep the system open and widely available. I'm not saying that they couldn't do a better job on the Windows Phone app/integration, but I don't want them to provide a lesser experience on other platforms just because Windows Phone hasn't caught up.

That gives Microsoft/Skype NO excuse to not give WP the new features at the same time as IOS and android, and even actually releasing it, like voice messages and file sharing.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
That gives Microsoft/Skype NO excuse to not give WP the new features at the same time as IOS and android, and even actually releasing it, like voice messages and file sharing.

If you consider Skype to be a strategic business unit, then the profit the unit generates is very important to the product manager. Imagine hiring more programmers, and that additional expense doesn't generate enough revenues. Product managers get fired over things like this.

Posted via the WPC App for Android! on BlackBerry Z30

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
This a good thread. But I think MSFT is trying to rebuild relationships now. I think this is good. How can they fix what's broken? Is submitting to the other platforms first with a good product the answer? I don't know. We must keep our fingers cross and hopefully we will receive the same in return from the other (2) platforms. A good relation with the other (2) will only make MSFT stronger.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Bing rewards does work on WP8, just type in bing.com/rewards just like on the other two. You really didn't read the whole discussion in that thread did you?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Bing rewards does work on WP8, just type in bing.com/rewards just like on the other two. You really didn't read the whole discussion in that thread did you?

I do know I could do type that in, yes. But why are we trying to make excuses, when we all know it annoys us that a native app for bing rewards (technically under the Bing app) came to the competitors first. I mean Bing Rewards isn't a huge deal for me, it is just annoying and frustrating why Microsoft did this. And no excuse for it not coming to WP because WP has Bing integrated, as they could've released an app, and when WP8.1 came and it was integrated, they could remove it.

Sent NOT from my iPad using Tapatalk

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I do know I could do type that in, yes. But why are we trying to make excuses, when we all know it annoys us that a native app for bing rewards (technically under the Bing app) came to the competitors first. I mean Bing Rewards isn't a huge deal for me, it is just annoying and frustrating why Microsoft did this. And no excuse for it not coming to WP because WP has Bing integrated, as they could've released an app, and when WP8.1 came and it was integrated, they could remove it.

Again here is a quote from a CNET article here from the aforementioned thread. Bing Rewards make their way to iOS and Android | Software - CNET Reviews-

It's worth noting this not an app you can download in the App Store or Google Play, but instead a specially designed mobile site that tracks your search behavior so that you can earn rewards.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
yeah, they do, and I understand why. The thing about MS lately is that they have turned into more of a services company with skydrive, office, skype, bing, etc. The problem is that if they want their services to reach the most amount of people the fastest, then thats iOS and Androis as WP does not have the marketshare yet. Yes, its annoying that they put out updates and features for skype first on iOS and Android and then WP, but I can understand why because it makes them the most amount of money. The good news is that since WP is now under the same department that windows is under, it will probably get more money and more attention and not be treated like a side project like they have done in the past...

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If you read what I said I explain the bing rewards situation. I didn't just talk about bing rewards, I also talked about Skype and stuff.

And if you read what I said, I only explained the misinformation regarding Bing, no discussion of any other apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss