Rumor mill: Two Microsoft Shareholders Want Satya Nadella to Kill Xbox, Bing, and Surface

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, not gunna happen :p Xbox has been a cash cow. Surfaces have been selling very very well now and Bing, well I'm no fan, but they are continuously developing it

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
This is what will likely be the toughest part of the transition - resisting such demands- and one reason I think Gates is being brought off the sidelines.

I think its a short sighted and self serving strategy by the investment groups behind those board members.

A unique aspect of Microsoft is their presence in both consumer and enterprise. If they can successfully pull off a meet in the middle approach, with devices like WP/Surface and services like Office Online/Office 365 it'll pay off tremendously. I'd even like to see them do something enterprise focused with XBox hardware.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
They aren't as profitable as the enterprise. I imagine they could sell those divisions then just concentrate on their most profitable business line and be better off.

Better off... in the short term.

XBOX, Bing, and Surface are all related to long-term strategy.

Some shareholders are just greedy and want to make a quick buck. They couldn't care less if MS went down the tubes 5 years from now.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Shareholders are poison. Limitless greed, never satisfied, always putting their insatiable lust for increasingly larger profits over the long term viability and well being of a company and the employees of the company. :(

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I think MS should definitely sell Xbox but keep mobile and Bing. Bing and IE are integral to Microsoft ecosystem but Xbox is just a waste of time and resources. Let Sony and Nintendo fight for those scraps while MS stays laser focused on the PC platform, enterprise and devices and services.

Sent from my Yellow Nokia 1520 (RM-937)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
XBOX is interesting in that it does make money, but it is the brand recognition MS is using, XBOX brings to mind a younger generation then what MS usually has access to.

Surface is fine. Tablets will at one point become the single largest mobile personal computer, and bailing on that market would be dumb. The Surface line needs to be premium though.

Bing is the service i do not think people truly understand. It is not just a search engine,although it is a good one. It is Microsofts "data coordinator" that is incorporated through it's massive infrastructure into almost all it's device. Like XBOX gamming online? Looking excitedly to Cortana virtual assistant? Like Local Scout on your maps? Just a couple of examples of Bing at work. It is used in MS cloud-based business intellegence bundles, and also Office 365 intergrations.

Of these three, Bing is by FAR the most valuble, especially after nearly 6 years of investments in it.

So long as MS intends to make continued gains in the consumer field (and all indications is that the new CEO will have free reign to decide how that is to happen, but would not have been hired unless he/she agreed to make it happen, and Mr. Nadella made a point to emphasis during his first presentation that he viewed consumer market as vital), then you can not shed XBOX.

You could live without Surface. Other OEM would provide Windows 8 tablets just fine. But if you are going all in by buying Nokia for smartphones anyways, why not make a tablet line and enjoy the profits?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Shareholders are poison. Limitless greed, never satisfied, always putting their insatiable lust for increasingly larger profits over the long term viability and well being of a company and the employees of the company. :(

They are only poison if you allow them to be. And with Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer the majority owners of stock, MS is in no way in a position where the stockholders have enough "stroke" to throw a hissy fit and force short term, knee-jerk reactions. Microsoft is enjoying the best of both worlds: They get their money, but only answer to them as a matter of respect.

I mentioned Bing in my post above. What other company could invest in something for 6 years before it turns a profit and get away with it without an uprising? XBOX investments, Windows Phone investments, and now the purchase of Nokia?

Stockholders are just placeholders at MS. They can huff and puff all they want. Mostly, all they can do is sell their shares and get out. Most don't. That says something.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
As a company, MSFT has object of business. They don't pay dividend cz they want to build capital structure for future development, hence long term development is one of their main objects. Such short term wants of shareholders wont be entertained at first place.

Sent via Lumia 625 Black

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
The share holders who took this decision are short sighted. Their mind is on quick revenue and that's it. They fail to see down the line that the mentioned 3 services would get them huge profits if invested into properly.

Thank god they didn't Satya Nadella to kill the Windows Phone division. I would have got a mild heart attack and fainted. :p The reason being I just sold my L520 and got a L1320.

I don't really think any of the requested would be granted by the board of directors. The share holders who demanded this can sell off their shares and go to scroogle. ;)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I feel it would be likelier for them to kill WP than any of the mentioned ones :p

And I think Xbox has special value in the sense that it has a far different target audience than most of what MS provides, thus it reels in a new segment of people to the ecosystem. That.. plus I love Xbox One :p

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Satya said that Microsoft is all about Cloud and Mobile. So most probably we will be seeing more Microsoft Cloud Services, and more Microsoft Mobile Hardware.

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Spot on! Wish I could triple "like" your comment. Telling Microsoft to sell Xbox, Bing and Surface is like telling Google to sell Android, Nexus, and Chromebook. They are important parts to a long-term strategy.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Shareholders are not poison. Shareholders are invested owners.

In a company like Microsoft, there are thousands of shareholders, each with varying degrees of involvement and money invested. They are people with different opinions.

There is a minority that wants a quick buck and don't care about the future of the company.

Don't judge all "shareholders" on the minority.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077