The Ultimate Debate: Bill Gates or Steve Jobs?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
How did Gates change the way we use technology? He didn't make the first GUI, he didn't make the first computer, he didn't make the first CLI, he didn't make the first OS.

Very strange, I don't recall ever stating that he was the FIRST. There's a reason why the first GUI, first computer, and the first of everything else didn't explode in popularity and success... cause they sucked or were useless in their former state!

interiorlulu

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
To me Jobs was an expert at marketing other companies ideas and inventions in a way that made the masses take note. The whole worship false idols scenario was quite scary. Gates is a modern day philanthropist.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Each has their own niche, I do not view Steve Jobs as a tech head. Bill Gates is a tech head.

There is no better salesmen than Steve Jobs, Woz was the one who had something when Apple was founded and Jobs was the marketer and business man who took Apple big time in the beginning. Jobs had many good ideas but as far as implementing the good ideas and making them come to life I think that was the staff Jobs had around him at Apple, but Jobs was the CEO and co-founder so naturally he would get the credit. When the original iPhone came out, nobody knew they needed one but Jobs convinced you that you couldn't live without one. Same with the iPad, I remember so many bad jokes about the name 'iPad' and so many people said this thing will never amount to anything. Yet again the genius marketer Jobs went to work and now iPads are big time.

Bill Gates is a tech head. He isn't as strong as a marketer as Jobs was but Gates knows technology so much better. Microsoft was the first one to introduce a tablet PC back in 2002 but Gates is not a salesman so it flopped. To this day people still give credit to Apple for the first tablet but it was Microsoft who made the first one, they are just that bad at marketing and convincing people you need this in your life. I am very excited that Satya is head at Microsoft now along with Bill in a technology roll, you now have a true technology person in charge of a technology company, the way it should be.

So which one? No matter how good a technology idea is it's going to flop if the right person is not marketing it. The Surface Pro 2 is an amazing product but Microsoft is not good at convincing people you need this in your life. If Microsoft was better at marketing home products the tech industry would have such a different look.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My vote is for Gates for his technical prowess and vision for a pc in every home.

Steve was good at fine tuning the work of those before him and a good marketer.

interiorlulu

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Each has their own niche, I do not view Steve Jobs as a tech head. Bill Gates is a tech head.

There is no better salesmen than Steve Jobs, Woz was the one who had something when Apple was founded and Jobs was the marketer and business man who took Apple big time in the beginning. Jobs had many good ideas but as far as implementing the good ideas and making them come to life I think that was the staff Jobs had around him at Apple, but Jobs was the CEO and co-founder so naturally he would get the credit. When the original iPhone came out, nobody knew they needed one but Jobs convinced you that you couldn't live without one. Same with the iPad, I remember so many bad jokes about the name 'iPad' and so many people said this thing will never amount to anything. Yet again the genius marketer Jobs went to work and now iPads are big time.

Bill Gates is a tech head. He isn't as strong as a marketer as Jobs was but Gates knows technology so much better. Microsoft was the first one to introduce a tablet PC back in 2002 but Gates is not a salesman so it flopped. To this day people still give credit to Apple for the first tablet but it was Microsoft who made the first one, they are just that bad at marketing and convincing people you need this in your life. I am very excited that Satya is head at Microsoft now along with Bill in a technology roll, you now have a true technology person in charge of a technology company, the way it should be.

So which one? No matter how good a technology idea is it's going to flop if the right person is not marketing it. The Surface Pro 2 is an amazing product but Microsoft is not good at convincing people you need this in your life. If Microsoft was better at marketing home products the tech industry would have such a different look.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
It takes more than a salesman to do what Gates has done. Not even going to credit that response with an in depth post.

How? Neither Gates or Jobs were islands. Microsoft as a company had a lot of people who has their input, same with Apple. I am not going to say he was worthless, but he hardly is anyqhere bear as great as people seem to think.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
How? Neither Gates or Jobs were islands. Microsoft as a company had a lot of people who has their input, same with Apple. I am not going to say he was worthless, but he hardly is anyqhere bear as great as people seem to think.

Microsoft as a company now? Yeah lots of input, but it sounds as though you are not familiar with Gate's earlier life and his creation of Microsoft and everything else he was a part of.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The thing that made Gates was the con job he did on IBM to get them to use his OS and not let them buy it from him, but still use it. The fact that everyone else wanted to copy the IBM PC and use the OS it ran was what made the computer clone system (remember Compaq). Everyone wanted a IBM compatable system. It ran DOS so everyone wanted DOS. Was it the best OS available, hell no. But IBM ran it so that became the standard. That is what made Microsoft what it is and what it became. Now Gates had a lot to do with the OS that became the standard for all computers that people wanted. But if IBM had not elected to use MSDOS on their IBM PC Microsoft would never have become what it is today. Makes you wonder how IBM could have been that stupid. Anyway that is history. As to who was better Gates or Jobs, does it really matter.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
IBM didn't really want to enter the PC market, but felt they had to have an entry in that segment because of Apple, Commodore, Tandy, CP/M machines, and others. They at least saw the market, but they didn't believe in it. As such, they didn't really want to "own" their entry into it - makes it easier to disown and shut down when that segment would fail. They also were behind the product curve, and needed to come up with something pretty quickly. IBM themselves were the ones who wanted to license - and not own - the OS.

So, for the OS, they solicited outside proposals to adapt something off the shelf. The rest is history. No con job involved in the dealings with IBM. The brilliance was making the agreement with IBM non-exclusive which meant Microsoft could license its version of DOS to others.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

Bill Gates is a tech head. He isn't as strong as a marketer as Jobs was but Gates knows technology so much better. Microsoft was the first one to introduce a tablet PC back in 2002 but Gates is not a salesman so it flopped. To this day people still give credit to Apple for the first tablet but it was Microsoft who made the first one, they are just that bad at marketing and convincing people you need this in your life.

The irony here is that the Tablet PC has been Bill Gates' holy grail for much longer.

Back in 1991, Microsoft introduced "Windows for Pen Computing," which was really Gates' first version of a tablet. You can see Gates pitching the product in this video (beginning at time stamp 2:22).

Listen to what Gates actually says: ?You use a pen, right here on the surface, and you can handwrite, just like you can on paper, and the computer recognizes it. So you don?t have to use a keyboard. So a machine like this could be taken into a meeting, or out on a sales call, and used in a very natural way. We?re making sure that it?s easy for people to work with Windows for Pen Computing.?

Even in 1991 Gates was referring to a tablet as a "Surface."

So Bill really is a visionary, but he comes from a scientific perspective that was both his strength and his weakness. Bill could understand other folks needs, but he had to learn them from being told. Jobs was different. He was an artist who painted with technology, but he was unhindered by a need to understand everything. He just saw it.

To use an analogy, Gates was like an English speaker who studied Spanish and knew that the word "hat" in Spanish was "sombrero." So in Gates mind, he would see the hat, and his brain would think "hat" = "sombrero" and say "sombrero," very quickly. Gates would know the complete derivation of how "sombrero" became the word for hat, and could probably lead a fascinating discussion about how the name came to be, and what other word cultures used for "hat."

Jobs would see a "sombrero" and say so.

He wouldn't know why, of course, he just would. It was his gift and his curse, and he could never teach anyone else Spanish, so his staff would just have to stand around and watch him name things. When he died the language died with him, and Apple could only name those things he already described.

untitled007

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Bill Gates , He will die soon, and have help a lot of people around the world especially kids to fight desease, while Steve, oh he died busy with his iproducts, he doesnt care what is happenning in other part of the world.

Shashank Holla

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Bill was exceptional in the field of tech, while Steve was in the field of marketing. Though both have their specialties, I like Bill over Steve. Bill's philanthropy is truly amazing character to see in this gen, where people want money ONLY. Bill, #salute

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
The thing that made Gates was the con job he did on IBM to get them to use his OS and not let them buy it from him, but still use it. The fact that everyone else wanted to copy the IBM PC and use the OS it ran was what made the computer clone system (remember Compaq). Everyone wanted a IBM compatable system. It ran DOS so everyone wanted DOS. Was it the best OS available, hell no. But IBM ran it so that became the standard. That is what made Microsoft what it is and what it became. Now Gates had a lot to do with the OS that became the standard for all computers that people wanted. But if IBM had not elected to use MSDOS on their IBM PC Microsoft would never have become what it is today. Makes you wonder how IBM could have been that stupid. Anyway that is history. As to who was better Gates or Jobs, does it really matter.

It doesn't make me wonder how IBM could be so stupid. It makes me wonder how Gates could have been so forward-looking, even at that age.

IBM was constrained by what it thought of as the size of the market. They had never envisioned that they could sell so many before they developed their own OS, or that other manufacturers would build to the same platform. After all, they were building mainframes, and the market size for those machines was so limited by comparison that they could have projected what to them would have been wild volumes and never realized just how low their estimates were.

Gates must have known he would be worth $50 billion when he put his name on that contract.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon