The Ultimate Debate: Bill Gates or Steve Jobs?

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The irony here is that the Tablet PC has been Bill Gates' holy grail for much longer.....

Yeah, Gates was a victim of timing as far as hardware capabilities go, and the overwhelming success of Microsoft's products that locked them into the inertia of the huge installed products base. If only we could have had consumer capacitive touch, SoC integration, and Gorilla Glass 20 years ago....

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Btw, as far as I know the first GUI was from Xerox, the name of the product was LISA

I remember while training at Hughes Aerospace in the early 80's seeing a GUI being used on Zenith computers.
This was for missile launch and aircraft guidance purposes however.
Very fascinating to see way back then.

The Hughes engineering people speaking about military and aircraft systems said:
"In the next 20 years everything will become virtual"

I think they were right!

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Can't believe you left out the Atari 800 in your list of available 8bit computers from the beginning era. It was my first computer and believe it or not I still have it and it still works just fine. Of course I can only run it using the cartridges that came with it as the disk drives (no hard drives back then) have long since died. It was an amazing machine. When the Atari ST came out I also got one. Talk about one of the first commerical GUI's. Man those were the days. About 1000 years ago it seems like.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, Gates was a victim of timing as far as hardware capabilities go, and the overwhelming success of Microsoft's products that locked them into the inertia of the huge installed products base. If only we could have had consumer capacitive touch, SoC integration, and Gorilla Glass 20 years ago....

It would not surprise me if Microsoft was ready to take another leap forward. After all, they squandered their first decade of opportunity in mobile, and a big part of that was because they boxed themselves into a rigid way of thinking. In that way they were a victim of their success, while Apple was the beneficiary of their near collapse.

What I mean was Apple could take bold chances because they had to. Microsoft, by contrast, was always worried that changing direction would damage an existing franchise.

There is one more difference as well, and in that Ballmer could be proven correct, albeit too late to market. That's the concept of a division based on products, which allows Microsoft to control the hardware and the software. In doing so, they don't have to worry as much about backward compatibility. In the corporate market, Microsoft is finally ending support of Windows XP, a 13 year old operating system. In the mobile market, by contrast, the hardware lifecycle is only about 2 years old, with hardware advances supporting new operating system improvements that are extreme enough that buyers are always consuming new devices. If you try to hang on to outdated hardware, the OS upgrades cripple it, and the user base has accepted this upgrade cycle. By purchasing Nokia, Microsoft will own 95% of the productive capacity for WP sales. This will give them much greater control over hardware choices and allow them to leverage their balance sheet to outproduce other smartphone manufacturers who don't have their own ecosystems, while continuing to make WP a increasingly compelling alternative to android.

Of course, a lot can go wrong before that happens. Time will tell, but more Bill Gates is exactly what Microsoft needs at the moment.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
To answer your question both are really influential and like someone said, I think one couldn't work without the other. Although they were rivals, they sure know how to cooperate with each other.

linzi7319

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Both of them made great contribution in technology world and excelled in their forte. Bill Gates as programmer and Steve Jobs as marketer.

Usman Mubashir

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Jobs:
iPhone

which lead to iPhone with fingerprint scanner

Billy:
Windows
Office

which lead to
Windows Phone
XBOX
SkyDrive
Windows Server

That is just a glimpse of their top works. Did you still not see who did his job better?

I like Jobs, dude had his style with him, but its Bill Gates we're comparing him to.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Jobs:
iPhone

which lead to iPhone with fingerprint scanner

Billy:
Windows
Office

which lead to
Windows Phone
XBOX
SkyDrive
Windows Server

That is just a glimpse of their top works. Did you still not see who did his job better?

I like Jobs, dude had his style with him, but its Bill Gates we're comparing him to.

You also forget NeXT, which leads to OS X, which leads to iOS. iPhone leads to iPad, which leads to the current mobile tablet craze.

Let's not be disingenuous about contributions.

Thomas Acito

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking that neither would have risen as far without the other. They truly are ... Apples and Oranges (OS's) so to speak. the MAC OS was nothing close to windows. it was not a platform, it was a closed though very well thougth out OS just like iOS just not open enough for the masses. This is where Gates kicked Jobs' ****.
my verdict. they are equal. Gates could better be compared to Henry Ford, IMHO. And Jobs... a black sheep. they broke the mould with him. he and Gates should have and almost did partner, now that couple would have ruled the world.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

buddy, he is going to appear on stamps,bcoz he is dead. and i wish long live Bill Gates.

anyway, these two visionaries, u cannot compare.
but, my opinion is same as the beginning of the thread.
Bill Gates,a die hard programmer, who created Windows, which in turn has built up the entire Tech industry.
Steve Jobs, an excellent marketing expert, who created need of the PMPs and Touch phones overnight by introducing awesome products.
both are genius and both cannot be compared, as without any one of them, we wouldn't been here, where we are now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petazinta