05-14-2014 03:55 AM
195 ... 45678
tools
    If the rumors were to be true i can see how it would take the excitement away from Windows Phone 8.1 but we have no confirmation either way and Microsoft don't comment on rumors or speculation which could potentially be interpreted as false rumors, there are enough android/ios fans in the tech world to take the wind out of anyone sails which is unfortunate as competition is always a healthy thing for us consumers...and yes I agree from your comments it basically means that Windows Phone is comparable to both ios/android with the exception of apps (we need a few more to please diehard andriod/ios fans and to make some of us even more excited for the future of Windows Phone.....GO MICROSOFT :)
    While I understand that they won't comment on rumors, Frank Shaw is known for lambasting many rumors when they are baseless. Add that to the fact that even Daniel Rubino has said Tom Warren has indeed access to inside information and you can see why I am taking it seriously.
    As a WP user since day one with a Samsung Focus and having owned almost every single device available on AT&T since, I never considered the possibility of switching platforms until now, even when it didn't have all the apps I needed.
    Hopefully they will decide against it, but until then, I personally will not invest on anymore WP hardware or apps.
    Last edited by alveswes; 02-17-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    02-17-2014 01:03 PM
    While I understand that they won't comment on rumors, Frank Shaw is known for lambasting many rumors when they are baseless. Add that to the fact that even Daniel Rubino has said Tom Warren has indeed access to inside information and you can see why I am taking it seriously.
    As a WP user since day one with a Samsung Focus and having owned almost every single device available on AT&T since, I never considered the possibility of switching platforms until now even when it didn't have all the apps I needed.
    Hopefully they will decide against it, but until then, I personally will not invest on anymore WP hardware or apps.
    I will still invest in the platform but would be disappointed if they give in too quickly..I don't believe they will but we live in a strange world..It would be great if Microsoft will make a statement on this quickly so people know what to expect (some integration may not be bad, but I do not wish Windows Phone to Die, I want WP to remain unique and as fast as it is, most things can be achieved quicker on a Windows Phone plz don't change it with Android Apps), There is plenty of Money to be made on Windows Phone as it is...and the user base is growing very quick we have the fastest growing smartphone platform...

http://www.windowscentral.com/window...erating-system
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...n-u-s--1156276
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/31/an...stest-growing/

and there are also articles about the apps store being the fastest growing too
    http://www.noknok.tv/2014/02/14/favo...windows-phone/

no wonder there are people trying to railroad this...

between 2012 and 2013
    windows phone grew 90.9%
    android grew 58.7%
    ios grew 12.9%

pretty impressive if you ask me
    Last edited by msxbox; 02-17-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    02-17-2014 01:10 PM
    Don't get me wrong, msxbox. Regardless of the path Microsoft takes, I do wish WP continues to grow. Nothing better than fierce competition to keep innovation going after all. :)
    msxbox likes this.
    02-17-2014 05:42 PM
    I will still invest in the platform but would be disappointed if they give in too quickly..I don't believe they will but we live in a strange world..It would be great if Microsoft will make a statement on this quickly so people know what to expect (some integration may not be bad, but I do not wish Windows Phone to Die, I want WP to remain unique and as fast as it is, most things can be achieved quicker on a Windows Phone plz don't change it with Android Apps), There is plenty of Money to be made on Windows Phone as it is...and the user base is growing very quick we have the fastest growing smartphone platform...

http://www.windowscentral.com/window...erating-system
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...n-u-s--1156276
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/31/an...stest-growing/

and there are also articles about the apps store being the fastest growing too
    http://www.noknok.tv/2014/02/14/favo...windows-phone/

no wonder there are people trying to railroad this...

between 2012 and 2013
    windows phone grew 90.9%
    android grew 58.7%
    ios grew 12.9%

the percentages look awesome!

but then, the actual units sold... vs the competition.

yesterday I sold 0 cups lemonade.
    today I sold 15.
    tomorrow I'm buying a yacht with the profits.

or maybe, I've just found the 15 people left that don't like beer or wine.
    02-17-2014 07:37 PM
    the percentages look awesome!

but then, the actual units sold... vs the competition.

yesterday I sold 0 cups lemonade.
    today I sold 15.
    tomorrow I'm buying a yacht with the profits.

or maybe, I've just found the 15 people left that don't like beer or wine.
    Lol ohgood. But please remember that this is a war or a marathon. Use any analogy that you want. msxbox has a good point with his observation. There is prove every where that WP is gaining ground very rapidly. Your analogy is better suited for a street vendor not WP. Perhaps you had (1) to many today. ;-).
    ohgood and msxbox like this.
    02-17-2014 10:12 PM
    If Microsoft chose to adopt Android apps they have to get it right in the first release, they need compatibility with the latest version of android, good performance, only accept apps that run really well, get a couple of emblematic android apps working flawlessly. This way they would get the headlines in their favor and theidea would sink in the mind of the people. Months later they could relax the standard and start accepting apps that don't run that well but do the job.
    The pr team have to transmit the idea that Android is only for niche apps, to fill holes, and WP is capable enough of getting native apps from top developers. Even if some tech press could question the idea of Android apps, the interest in the audience would be created, and reinforced if the first few Android apps in the store work flawlessly.
    The Android SDK has to be understood as piece of software not strictly associated with Google-Android. In those countries where Google is irrelevant (China) this is not a problem, but in the west the idea has to be reinforced, other emerging platforms adopting the Android SDK could help with this perception.
    Sorry, I didn't write sooner. I had to stop laughing first. MS get something right first time? Are we on the same planet here? Flawlessly? Really? OK, maybe 5 years from now, but not anytime sooner than that. By then WP could be a distant memory.

That can change, think about flappy bird, there is nothing fashionable about that game but everybody want it. Microsoft has to do a great job with WP, Android apps just fill a hole, remove a big reason why people that consider WP chose to go in other direction, add some points of market share that WP need to survive, but beside that the product has to evolve and become attractive in diverse ways.
    It's important to understand the objective, It would be an heroic feat if WP would reach 20% of market share worldwide, a more down to earth objective should be the survival of the platform, a 10% of market share, the same market share than apple worldwide.
    You cannot compare Flappy Bird with an OS. That's a fad, you don't want a fad OS. I've already pointed to issues with going with Android. The online reviewers and all the haters will go off stating how WP has failed. Store reps will avoid steering people to use WP so that users can get a 'true' Android experience. You're saying it will be some sort of saviour so that people can't say WP doesn't have the apps. It might do that but at the same time it will lose all credibility. What's more important I guess is the question.

You are reading a fan site of people that already choose WP. So It's not the best sample to get a conclusion about what is keeping people from buying WP. From my experience talking with people buying a new phone, mindshare and apps are the key factors, not an obscure technical difficulty.
    I don't just read this site. I read other sites. I know the general feeling that most reviewers have about WP. I also read the comments however painful and wrong they are. So, no I don't have the narrow view you think I have. On top of that, there's nothing wrong with hearing people's experience from a user perspective. The good, the bad and the ugly. WP has it all.

The smartphone market is complex, people have many different needs, but in the current state of affairs WP is competing more with Android than with iOS. Maybe a premium surface phone designed for productivity could help in the high end, but that strategy hasn't pay off in tablets, yet.
    So to get those cheap Chinese users or people from developing countries with even lower income, they need the local Android apps to give a complete user experience.

Microsoft has to start working in the implementation of the Android SDK now.
    Thing you miss here, along with most people is the thinking that WP should have been based on Android and that MS target was low end handsets. This is where you and most people are incorrect. WP is based on a similar idea as iOS. It functions very similar to it. If MS had wanted an Android clone, they would have made that from the outset. The low end handsets were Nokia's work, not MS. You can tell by the reaction of low end handset users in developing countries how difficult they find using WP in their situation compared to using the old Symbian handsets or low end Androids.

There's more to an OS than apps. Functionality is the other factor. With WP8.1 update we have the opportunity to see if WP is on the right path. Jumping to using another OS apps at this stage seems rather silly. If WP is growing like everyone says it is and developers have been slowly coming on board, however painful, why change direction now? If WP is going to succeed we NEED MS to start throwing it's weight behind it. It cannot think in marathon terms or the long run. It needs to act now. That's the only way for it to succeed in my eyes. A botched Android system is no answer.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 02-18-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    IlkkaV and a5cent like this.
    02-18-2014 05:36 AM
    Lol ohgood. But please remember that this is a war or a marathon. Use any analogy that you want. msxbox has a good point with his observation. There is prove every where that WP is gaining ground very rapidly. Your analogy is better suited for a street vendor not WP. Perhaps you had (1) to many today. ;-).

lol, maybe i did. but it still sticks.
    02-18-2014 07:39 AM
    between 2012 and 2013
    windows phone grew 90.9%
    android grew 58.7%
    ios grew 12.9%

Nope. Any ***** can use percentage growth numbers to prove a specious point.

Relevant: xkcd: Fastest-Growing

For a better comparison, Eric Schmidt said (in 2013, I think) that Android reached 1.5 million activations per day globally. This is only activations that Google sees, and therefore leaves out all the forked non-google apps devices sold in China etc.
    02-18-2014 08:04 AM
    between 2012 and 2013
    windows phone grew 90.9%
    android grew 58.7%
    ios grew 12.9%

And in the same time period Chromebook grew something like 1,500,000%. Now THAT'S impressive!
    02-18-2014 09:27 AM
    If Microsoft decides to port Android it would be a tacit admission to the world that they can't get their own s#it together! I seriously doubt that it's even being discussed at ANY level within the company.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    02-18-2014 10:05 AM
    The one point some of you are missing is we already know how successful Android is and IOS too, The point some of us are trying to drive home is that unless Windows Phone is given an equal chance of success then it will be an uphill battle to level up sales wise with the alternative OS's although its beating IOS Sales wise in many countries now, we still need the numbers,

If Windows Phone is reviewed in an unbiased fashion on more tech sites then the sales will ramp up very quick (Give the platform a chance to level up before judging it against the competition, well still judge but not write it off I mean)
    Windows Phone does have the potential to compete at that level, I am sure we will see that soon.
    02-18-2014 10:19 AM
    Nope. Any ***** can use percentage growth numbers to prove a specious point.

Relevant: xkcd: Fastest-Growing

For a better comparison, Eric Schmidt said (in 2013, I think) that Android reached 1.5 million activations per day globally. This is only activations that Google sees, and therefore leaves out all the forked non-google apps devices sold in China etc.
    Thanks for Making us aware of something that is blatantly obvious..
    02-18-2014 10:25 AM
    And in the same time period Chromebook grew something like 1,500,000%. Now THAT'S impressive!
    it think this relates to your post

Chromebook sales growth: 2013 saw huge growth in business market | BGR

sounds like chromebooks are doing very well too...
    tgp likes this.
    02-18-2014 10:29 AM

Yes Chromebooks are doing well, but if you look at overall numbers and even market share it's not as great as the percentage number makes it sound. I was just trying to underline Markham Ranja's point that the percentage number doesn't always give us the complete picture. Small overall numbers inflate percentage. It's simple mathematics.
    02-18-2014 10:55 AM

No, they're not...

www.minyanville.com/sectors/technology/articles/Google-Chromebooks-Did-Not-Take-212525/12/30/2013/id/53186

Basically there is no evidence through web browser stats etc. that anyone is using these web-based devices...
    02-18-2014 10:59 AM
    And, I would suspect since those Chromebooks were largely Q4 numbers, that a lot of those business purchases were "what the heck," finish out the budget, "we need to take on some additional CapEx for tax offsets." At least that's when I do a lot of my one-off, evaluation type purchases. The numbers could sustain, but it seems news on that front has been pretty quiet.
    02-18-2014 11:20 AM
    02-18-2014 06:46 PM
    Microsoft won't make an important decision based on votes on a website of a little group of purists. Smartphones are products designed for the masses, feverish fans like you are irrelevant in statistics. Microsoft is trying to please 500 million people, not a little group of Google haters, but surely they appreciate your passion for the product and they're happy to see that the scroogled campaign worked with at least a handful of people.

Android apps would be a great complement for WP and Windows, if they come and you don't like them you cam always ignore them. That's the beauty of openness, I like this new Microsoft.
    02-18-2014 07:58 PM
    Microsoft won't make an important decision based on votes on a website of a little group of purists. Smartphones are products designed for the masses, feverish fans like you are irrelevant in statistics. Microsoft is trying to please 500 million people, not a little group of Google haters, but surely they appreciate your passion for the product and they are happy because the scroogled campaign worked at least with a handful of people.
    Android apps would be a great complement for WP and Windows, if they come and you don't like them you could ignore them.
    If you read one of my earlier posts you will see that i mentioned that some of the top suggestions voted for are either already now added or are being added in Windows Phone 8.1,

Myself I am normally an IT guy by trade have done that for over 17 years and I like my tech gadgets to be solid and dependable so far I personally am happy with my phone and am looking forward to future technology and features being added,

On the google side of things I would say that I am disappointed they couldn't be a bit more amenable, also once Windows Phone and Windows merge there should be a stack more apps available very quickly and with the very large user base Microsoft have on their platforms there will be bucket loads of cash to be made by devs,

If Microsoft do decide to add Android apps then the most important thing for me is that it works fluidly with the Windows Phone OS and aids to show how great the platform already is,

I just think we should stick it out till the end of the year at least there is plenty of money to be had for apps on windows phone and we don't really need the Android apps we are gaining new apps all the time the pace needs speeding up but for me there is no rush Quality, Security, Stability and Performance are more important.
    Last edited by msxbox; 02-18-2014 at 08:33 PM.
    02-18-2014 08:12 PM
    If you read one of my earlier posts you will see that i mentioned that some of the top suggestions voted for are either already now added or are being added in Windows Phone 8.1,
    Because those were features fundamental to the satisfactory usage of a smartphone, not because MSFT <3s it's users (c.f, notification center, separate volumes for media/apps and ringtone, and better file management capabilities.

WP 8.1 and all the various coloured upgrades we've got so far are basically MS filling in potholes, nay craters, on the motorway that is WP8. It remains to be seen what they do with actually extending that motorway.
    02-19-2014 08:54 AM
    Android apps would be a great complement for WP and Windows, if they come and you don't like them you cam always ignore them. That's the beauty of openness, I like this new Microsoft.
    Complement? Why would anyone write a WP app, if we have access to the Android app? Basically you kill the WP marketplace. Maybe not overnight, but it'll happen.

With Android apps, you wont have live tiles, you won't have the visual style of WP. Without that, what does WP have to offer? less hardware variation than Android, higher prices, less functionality.

WP will just join the ranks of Jolla, Firefox Phone, Tizen, etc, that are all trying to ride the Android wave.
    k0de, N_LaRUE and Xaphoon148 like this.
    02-19-2014 10:26 AM
    Complement? Why would anyone write a WP app, if we have access to the Android app? Basically you kill the WP marketplace. Maybe not overnight, but it'll happen.

With Android apps, you wont have live tiles, you won't have the visual style of WP. Without that, what does WP have to offer? less hardware variation than Android, higher prices, less functionality.

WP will just join the ranks of Jolla, Firefox Phone, Tizen, etc, that are all trying to ride the Android wave.
    Yes. Forget WP if this happens. In fact forget MSFT. For that matter I'll jump on a Linux and just ride Ubuntu all the way threw. And just happy Android forever.
    02-19-2014 08:37 PM

Why won't those things be added to the Android apps? As has been said many time, it is very likely that many Android apps will need some porting to run on any likely Android environment that might be added to WP. This will not implement all the Google cloud service APIs. That porting could include adding to WP-specific features such as live tiles. In fact, as Microsoft will likely run the app store for these WP/Android apps, they can even insist on it.
    02-20-2014 03:43 AM

every app doesn't need an icon, widget/tile. some, just get used and then put back in the junk drawer till next time.
    02-20-2014 03:46 AM
    We Don't need Android apps on Windows Phone as like I said the Platform is growing quite nicely are there are many ways to monetise apps and there are articles written by devs saying how much more successful they have been on Windows Phone over Andriod and IOS. Its a very successful platform already and won't be long before they get the extra sales to prove it to any doubters.
    k0de likes this.
    02-20-2014 11:09 AM
195 ... 45678