MSFT Considering Android Apps For Windows Phones.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Bringing Android app support to the platform would kill most developer incentive for developing native WP apps. That in turn would more or less mark the death of the platform. At least I wouldn't see any point in sticking with WP when even MS has given up. I'd go back to iOS full time. If I wanted to run Android apps, I'd buy an Android device.

That's exactly how I feel. I believe in MSFT software. I believe that they can do it better than anyone in the business. That's why I bought a Window Phone in the first place. Android apps on the platform will just tell me that MSFT has giving up and Android has won.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
same here nice one k0de i wanted to add more than three myself but 3 is the max, we need that number to rise if we want Microsoft to take note..

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
same here nice one k0de i wanted to add more than three myself but 3 is the max, we need that number to rise if we want Microsoft to take note..

Ur welcome! Yes we need more people from these forums to vote there. Everyone follow the link and place your votes to stop Android apps from landing on WP. Thanks for the link msxbox.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Bringing Android app support to the platform would kill most developer incentive for developing native WP apps. That in turn would more or less mark the death of the platform. At least I wouldn't see any point in sticking with WP when even MS has given up. I'd go back to iOS full time. If I wanted to run Android apps, I'd buy an Android device.

Why do developers adopt WP? Because they want to make money selling their apps in the store, or with in app purchases, or showing ads. They want access to the WP user base that is close to 50 million people worldwide.

If WP could run Android apps, developers would have a path with lower costs to reach that mass of users, but also with lower revenues. The user experience of the Android apps in WP is inferior, that means less usage and less revenue. So, both variables are reduced and produce mixed results for different developers. Some developers would benefit reusing their Android app, for other developers is a bad strategy because the loss of revenues is bigger than the cost savings.

Let's classify developers in three groups:
1)Developers for whom the cost of a native WP app is much higher than the revenues they could get from the store. So, those apps won't come to WP any time soon. The Android strategy is a WIN-WIN situation. Devs earn money reusing their Android app, and wp users have access to apps that would be impossible to get in native form.

2)Developers that don't make much money with their wp app, or developers that are planning a WP app which is just becoming profitable with the growth of the user base. For them the cost of development is relatively important, the savings of reusing the Android app could be higher than the loss of revenue of an inferior user experience. So, some developers would remove the native wp app (probably no a high quality app) and would submit an Android app. Some developers planning or in the firsts stages of development of a native app would cancel their projects to submit an Android apps. This is the big fear of some WP fans.

3)Developers that get good revenues from their native wp apps, for them the cost of development is less relevant and the loss of revenue caused a low quality app is bigger, so they would continue with native apps.

The bottom line is not bad:
-The Android strategy would give us access to several thousands small apps that aren't economically viable in WP.
-We would lose some native apps from the store (probably low quality apps anyways, the android apps could be even better) and some native apps in early stage of development would be canceled in favor of Android apps.
-Nothing change for the developers of top apps, they would continue with their native development.

But the situation can be improved if:
-Microsoft rejects any Android app coming from the group 3, top apps. Some devs or companies could chose a wrong strategy due to lack of knowledge, bad management, or an irrational intention to simplify things. The Windows store has to be selective.
-Microsoft has to subsidize developers of the group 2 to promote native development. This subsidy could be a bigger share of the revenue from the store, technical assistance, money payments, more exposure in the store.
-Microsoft has to increase the adoption of WP, because as the user base grows more developers move from the group 2 to the group 3, and the group 3 is not interested in submitting an Android app.

It's interesting that the Android strategy is more beneficial and less risky as the wp user base grows.

Lets say that WP reach a 10% of market share of the sales, It would be needed a couple of years to reach a 10% of market share of user base (which is the important variable for devs). Even with a 10% of the user base there are several thousand of apps that aren't economically viable in that level so Android apps could help to fill the holes. And with 10% of the user base there is less risk of destroying the platform accepting Android apps, because the group 3 is bigger and the users are guaranteed to spend a bigger percentage of their time with native apps, 80%-90% of the time?.

The ideal scenario would be to start working today in the implementation of the Android SDK to be released with Windows 9, and reach 10% of market share before that thanks to the improvements of the platform and an really aggressive price strategy.

Last edited:

Mark section

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes,we have a living(going to be dead example) bb10.it runs android app. So why is it dying??

1-No native app support- developer just don't get any more incentive from making native apps. As they would have competitor from a higher developed platforms android.

2- lack of advertisement- Ok you cant advertise that wp can run android app. Most people will never know that it runs android apps or not. Just look at bb10. After getting native app market killed they are left with ZERO APPS to install. A common man will go to store to find Zero apps.

3-android apps are not even optimized for themselves forget about getting optimization for wp devices

4-encourage piracy- SIDE LOADING cracked file. Isn't it piracy? Ms should be against it.

5-google problem- how long will google keep quit to not sue ms or prevent apps to run on WP

Sent from my MIND

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Ur welcome! Yes we need more people from these forums to vote there. Everyone follow the link and place your votes to stop Android apps from landing on WP. Thanks for the link msxbox.

Where can people who want Android apps on WP vote? I don't think it's a 'vote' when there's only one answer - it's a petition. It tells us nothing about the balance of opinion.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Where can people who want Android apps on WP vote? I don't think it's a 'vote' when there's only one answer - it's a petition. It tells us nothing about the balance of opinion.
I don't think it will work, to me there is only one answer... You want Android apps? Buy an Android phone or Sell your WP to buy it.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't multiple voting make this rather useless?

That is not the case at all, The more votes you put in personally the more seriously they see you taking the issue hence the name uservoice its not a head count (he who shouts the loudest gets heard)...also if you look at some of the topics on the site with the really high votes you will see that some of them ideas we have now and some are being added to windows phone 8.1 Microsoft do listen to their customers but this issue is a challenging one but i hope they will protect the WP platform whatever the outcome. WP is an awesome platform...

Last edited:

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

on the same site I linked above there are other topics you can vote for also you can create your own

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
That is not the case at all, The more votes you put in personally the more seriously they see you taking the issue hence the name uservoice its not a head count...

I'm afraid that's not how companies see this. People who vote many times appear to be obsessive, and thus more easily ignored. Also, please don't call this a 'vote'. It is not. It is a 'petition'.

EDIT: I saw that the site actually allows users to vote '1', '2' or '3' times, so I take back my comment above.

Last edited:

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Please also link to a 'pro-Android apps' petition. The results of your petition will then appear more balanced.

good points are bring made here.

there was another about how android developers could actually profit from wp users, instead of only seeing them as 4% market share. that's another good point.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid that's not how companies see this. People who vote many times appear to be obsessive, and thus more easily ignored. Also, please don't call this a 'vote'. It is not. It is a 'petition'.

not true, they would not have the feature of multiple votes if that were the case...take a proper look at the site you have a total of 20 votes but the maximum for one topic is 3 votes and you don't get your votes back until the topic is finished, so it means you choose the topics you vote on wisely...btw "appear to be" is correct :)

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
not true, they would not have the feature of multiple votes if that were the case...take a proper look at the site you have a total of 20 votes but the maximum for one topic is 3 votes and you don't get your votes back until the topic is finished, so it means you choose the topics you vote on wisely...btw "appear to be" is correct :)

Indeed - I edited my original post once I'd looked more carefully at the site.
Currently, the petition has 211 'votes'. If we assume an average of 2 'votes' per person, this means 105.5 people support it (assuming no multiple 'voting').

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb