Metro/Minimalistic Fanboys annoy me a lot of times

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of it, it really annoys me that the minimalist fanboys are sometimes the most stubborn ones when it comes to the UI of WP. They are so narrow minded when it comes to the thought of customizations, especially the idea of wallpapers/background being pursued into Windows 8.1 and beyond. I'm not naming anyone in here, but there has been some members that really gets on my nerves because instead of supporting WP having more options for people, they claim it as a terrible idea, and that Windows Phone should stay basic. I don't get it. But they clearly don't want Windows Phone to evolve. They think that their own minimalistic experience fits everyone else' mold and that their minimalistic views are above and superior to anyone. Clearly they are pretentious.

If we think about it too, they're also the same people who pokes fun and often slams people who want the Start Menu back - for me example, I want my Start Menu back on Windows 8.2. But whenever I make these remarks, I get called stupid for not wanting to learn how to use the Metro UI, and that I am lazy to even take time to use it. Truth is, I know how to use the Metro UI and I love it. I just want the Start Menu back in the Desktop because we need it. I need it. Metro fanboys claim that their views are the way to go, and they want 90% of the Windows market to go down the drain because "they are too stupid and lazy to learn the Metro UI". I mean, doesn't this annoy you? These comments that they make?

And what annoys me more is that when I demand more freedom with my UI, they are quick to judge me and start saying, "leave Windows Phone, go get Android, you will not be missed, etc..." Like really? You are trying to disown me from the one Operating System that I have truly loved since the beginning? If I wanted to get Android, I could have done it a long time ago. But I love my Windows, so why are you so quick to judge me for wanting more options?

I'm sorry for the late night rant, but I have just enough with these stubborn, narrow minded fanboys. I'm not generalizing as a group, but I am pointing out those Metro/Minimalistic fanboys who are so close minded to freedom.

/End Rant.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't get it twisted. Android is free, but what makes android what it is are google services and those are not free. This OS will grow and is growing. Patience man. Patience. You truly don't want a product that doesn't work. I know I don't.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Myself, I like what Windows has evolved to become. But yes, it needs to, and will, evolve more. As for the Start screen, I've been using it for about two and a half years now, since whenever it was that the developer preview of Win8 came out, and I like it. I haven't lost any productivity, as many claim they have.

But there are things that Microsoft did wrong. This is the first time that they made a major change to the UI without giving the user an optional way to "go back". With XP, there was the change to the Control Panel - but they offered a setting to make it look back the way it was in 98. With 7 there were major changes in the UI but ways to go back to the XP look (I can't think of what changes, at the moment, as it's been years since I used XP). These are just a couple examples... But this time around, they didn't offer the user to go back to a prior UI. IMO, that is where they made their mistake - not with changing the UI, but with not giving the user a way to go back to what they are used to.

Some of us like to live on the bleeding edge and want the latest, greatest thing, and some want to stay with what they are comfortable with. To each his own. But don't let people who disagree with you get to you. Ignore them. You're the only one in control of whether they ruin your day or not.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Just because they want it to stay minimalist doesn't mean they don't want it to evolve.

This rang sounded as closed minded to their idea as you say they are to yours.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well.. If you put an image at the background of start screen, how would you actually see the image, being covered by tiles.
And about start menu, you can put all the things on the start screen which you would put on the start menu. I mean start screen is the new start menu. But that's my opinion. Others can have different opinions also. But even though they give me start menu back, I would use the start screen.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Well.. If you put an image at the background of start screen, how would you actually see the image, being covered by tiles.
And about start menu, you can put all the things on the start screen which you would put on the start menu. I mean start screen is the new start menu. But that's my opinion. Others can have different opinions also. But even though they give me start menu back, I would use the start screen.

Yes, this is exactly why having backgrounds on WP doesn't make sense. The start screen is so dense that there is literally no point in having a picture back there. It works on Windows 8 because there are large portions of white space that they were able to utilize for the purpose of a background (which is the advantage of working with a 8+" screen), but that's not the case with Windows Phone. Even if you make the tiles semi-transparent so you can see the background through them, that interferes with the content being shown on the tile itself. Shrinking the tiles to create the space for a background would decrease usability. It just doesn't make any sense.

I'm not trying to be "elitist" or "snobby," and I'm not a "******." This is just the reality of the situation. If someone can show me a way to implement backgrounds without decreasing usability or interfering with content, then I might be open to it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234