What happens after the Nokia acquisition?

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I know there must be a topic somewhere or an answer to this question, but I really want a clean answer for future reference.

What happens to current Nokia devices after the acquisition?
It can be said Nokia will still be responsible for handling its devices but hey! Nokia devices (read devices, I didn't say whole Nokia) won't exist anymore, they will all essentially be Microsoft employees!

There will be no Nokia to tinker with new updates and therefore releasing the update late. Obviously Microsoft branded Lumias will receive the updates the moment they are released. Since Nokia devices won't exist anymore, our current devices (Nokia Lumia) should be Microsoft backed after the deal then? It can also be assumed that will we get the updates along with Microsoft branded Lumias the moment the update is released for consumers?
Instead of Nokia Care we will go to "Microsoft Care" to fix our devices?

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
There isn't a "clean answer" yet. I don't think Microsoft knows what to do with them yet. I hope they pull a "surface" type device with reference level specs and design but priced high enough not to **** off other OEMs.

quotethepigeon

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Will they not be allowed to use the Nokia name still or is it only part of Nokia they're actually buying?
Like Google buying Motorola and releasing the moto G ....

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There isn't a "clean answer" yet. I don't think Microsoft knows what to do with them yet. I hope they pull a "surface" type device with reference level specs and design but priced high enough not to **** off other OEMs.

I'm pretty sure MS knows exactly what they're going to do with them. You don't spend billions acquiring a world-wide business without having a plan.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Will they not be allowed to use the Nokia name still or is it only part of Nokia they're actually buying?
Like Google buying Motorola and releasing the moto G ....

MS bought a 10-year license to use the Nokia name.

As far as has been rumored, they only plan to use it for low-end Asha devices. With the Lumia line they will not use the Nokia branding since Lumia is also a brand in a way. And they don't want a device known as the Microsoft Nokia Lumia when it would be easier to just call it a Lumia.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers