Microsoft Fantasy Acquisitions

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
This had been running on and off my mind the past few days after reading some articles and watched some videos/reports about the "internet of everything."

If Microsoft is to become that ubiquitous competitor in "the internet of everything" it would have to start churning out more and more devices and services itself to expand through and cover gaps in only a few years. Either that, or it could start acquiring companies or portions of them (which is what we saw with Nokia).

If it were to do that, what would be great companies and/or products to acquire for MSFT if it could? Why would you want it to do so? Sure diversity and competition sounds good, but cross platform compatibility/integration would be a hurdle.

For me, I'd like to see Roku acquired by Microsoft. It could complement the XBOX giving Microsoft an outlet for their media services to non-gamers... Plus, the cord cutting market is growing. Roku has started to venture into Smart TV's by the way.

Another one I would love to see folded into MSFT is Garmin. Just because as a marathoner, I like my GPS watch (although I'm fine having trained without one before). Acquiring Garmin could help in establishing wearable tech products from Microsoft. However, mapping service might be in conflict with HERE services and Bing Maps.

How about you?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It might be better to establish some standards, so that devices from different manufacturers can work together, than have one company owning everything.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think Microsoft is too big as it is. Microsoft can easily partner with companies for their technologies without getting absorbed into the company. Microsoft has spent billions buying Skype and we as users of Microsoft products have yet to see any meaningful integration.

neyaldrich

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Id like to see a youtube competitor, or at least an alternative from microsoft. also wearebles, come on at this pace they will be left behind yet again in this market

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft should buy one of the big three auto manufacturers.

Digital technology and automobiles could be the match made in technology heaven.
Google wants to take over the asphalt network Microsoft would be smart to catch up and beat them to it.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is pretty big already, but if they were to buy a company, I would think they should buy Gameloft, as it is a big Mobile Games company, and Microsoft needs to make LOTS of better mobile games. I'll think of more later.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Id like to see a youtube competitor, or at least an alternative from microsoft. also wearebles, come on at this pace they will be left behind yet again in this market

Well here's this: Microsoft Is Interested In Buying Stake In Dailymotion | TechCrunch.

Regarding your other point, I really hope that they're working on some sort of smartwatch (Surface Watch???), or maybe Nokia is working on something that MS can adopt once the sale is complete.

I vote they buy out Ford since their CEO spurned them during the CEO search, and because they just ditched MS for Blackberry QNX in their Sync system. That'll show 'em!

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I kinda think Microsoft should get in on this whole wearables thing by buying fitbit. In my fantasy, they basically do what Google did with Motorola and keep the name fitbit, but call it "a Microsoft company."

I think that could make them seem that much cooler of a company and could give them a good foothold in wearables.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes