This had been running on and off my mind the past few days after reading some articles and watched some videos/reports about the "internet of everything."

If Microsoft is to become that ubiquitous competitor in "the internet of everything" it would have to start churning out more and more devices and services itself to expand through and cover gaps in only a few years. Either that, or it could start acquiring companies or portions of them (which is what we saw with Nokia).

If it were to do that, what would be great companies and/or products to acquire for MSFT if it could? Why would you want it to do so? Sure diversity and competition sounds good, but cross platform compatibility/integration would be a hurdle.

For me, I'd like to see Roku acquired by Microsoft. It could complement the XBOX giving Microsoft an outlet for their media services to non-gamers... Plus, the cord cutting market is growing. Roku has started to venture into Smart TV's by the way.

Another one I would love to see folded into MSFT is Garmin. Just because as a marathoner, I like my GPS watch (although I'm fine having trained without one before). Acquiring Garmin could help in establishing wearable tech products from Microsoft. However, mapping service might be in conflict with HERE services and Bing Maps.

How about you?
    02-19-2014 06:46 PM
    It might be better to establish some standards, so that devices from different manufacturers can work together, than have one company owning everything.
    02-26-2014 06:51 AM
    They should buy Google, and then shut them down like a year later. The irony would be fantastic.
    unstoppablekem and snowmutt like this.
    02-26-2014 08:38 AM
    just buy google and apple . run windows 8.1 on iphone and nexus. shut down android. and call it a day. purely fantasy
    02-26-2014 11:14 AM
    I think Microsoft is too big as it is. Microsoft can easily partner with companies for their technologies without getting absorbed into the company. Microsoft has spent billions buying Skype and we as users of Microsoft products have yet to see any meaningful integration.
    02-26-2014 11:18 AM
    just buy google and apple . run windows 8.1 on iphone and nexus. shut down android. and call it a day. purely fantasy
    Yeah... sorry, you can't forcibly buy a company. It has to be a two-way agreement.
    02-26-2014 11:35 AM
    Yeah... sorry, you can't forcibly buy a company. It has to be a two-way agreement.
    You might want to look up the term "hostile takeover"
    snowmutt likes this.
    02-26-2014 11:38 AM
    Also, look up the meaning of the word "Fantasy."
    snowmutt likes this.
    02-26-2014 11:42 AM
    why so serious? ;)
    snowmutt likes this.
    02-26-2014 08:20 PM
    Id like to see a youtube competitor, or at least an alternative from microsoft. also wearebles, come on at this pace they will be left behind yet again in this market
    02-26-2014 10:55 PM
    Microsoft should buy one of the big three auto manufacturers.

Digital technology and automobiles could be the match made in technology heaven.
    Google wants to take over the asphalt network Microsoft would be smart to catch up and beat them to it.
    02-26-2014 11:22 PM
    Microsoft is pretty big already, but if they were to buy a company, I would think they should buy Gameloft, as it is a big Mobile Games company, and Microsoft needs to make LOTS of better mobile games. I'll think of more later.
    JM_T likes this.
    02-26-2014 11:29 PM
    Microsoft should buy one of the big three auto manufacturers.

Digital technology and automobiles could be the match made in technology heaven.
    Google wants to take over the asphalt network Microsoft would be smart to catch up and beat them to it.
    Tesla!
    JM_T likes this.
    02-26-2014 11:30 PM
    Gameloft or HTC.
    02-26-2014 11:37 PM
    Id like to see a youtube competitor, or at least an alternative from microsoft. also wearebles, come on at this pace they will be left behind yet again in this market
    Well here's this: Microsoft Is Interested In Buying Stake In Dailymotion | TechCrunch.

Regarding your other point, I really hope that they're working on some sort of smartwatch (Surface Watch???), or maybe Nokia is working on something that MS can adopt once the sale is complete.

Tesla!
    I vote they buy out Ford since their CEO spurned them during the CEO search, and because they just ditched MS for Blackberry QNX in their Sync system. That'll show 'em!
    02-27-2014 03:53 PM
    I vote they buy out Ford since their CEO spurned them during the CEO search, and because they just ditched MS for Blackberry QNX in their Sync system. That'll show 'em!
    They actually said that they are not yet sure.

http://crackberry.com/ford-hasnt-dec...ytems-just-yet
    TheJoester09 likes this.
    02-27-2014 04:13 PM
    Hm...interesting. Well a buyout would make 100% sure that this won't happen!
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    02-27-2014 04:25 PM
    Vimeo!!! Haha. Ditto on the wearable tech concern, hence my wish for Garmin. Apart from watches, they got the Virb (like GoPro) already.
    02-28-2014 01:20 AM
    Vimeo!!!
    Yes! Die Google!
    02-28-2014 10:13 AM
    I kinda think Microsoft should get in on this whole wearables thing by buying fitbit. In my fantasy, they basically do what Google did with Motorola and keep the name fitbit, but call it "a Microsoft company."

I think that could make them seem that much cooler of a company and could give them a good foothold in wearables.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    03-01-2014 11:09 PM
    I kinda think Microsoft should get in on this whole wearables thing by buying fitbit. In my fantasy, they basically do what Google did with Motorola and keep the name fitbit, but call it "a Microsoft company."

I think that could make them seem that much cooler of a company and could give them a good foothold in wearables.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    I want a Surface Watch, and Surface Glasses!

Sent from my Xbox One using WPCentral Forums
    03-01-2014 11:24 PM
    I think they should buy the remains of Hostess and get Twinkies back in the game.

Okay, I will figure a way to rationalize how that helps their tech in a minute.....
    03-02-2014 12:49 AM
    ^ lol, if I ever die laughing while reading WPC, it WILL BE YOUR FAULT! ;-)
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-02-2014 02:26 AM