Do you still use Windows 7?

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm still on 7 at home...my laptop still works, so no need to replace. It's a great OS. Now, my employer (bank) is still on XP! We are upgrading to 7 this year. I'm sure we would still be on 3.1 if MS supported it.

Posted via the WPC App for Android! on BlackBerry Z30

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Use WIN8 with win 7 start menu third party of course ;)

Why? 8.1 has a much better built-in option. Right-click the start icon and you have more choices than ever. I'm not advocating W8 over W7 but that is one feature that 8 has over 7 in spades. Everything happens for a reason, enough people complained about the lack of a start button when W8 was released that it got MS to create something even better than they ever planned.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I just love Windows 8.1. If you use 8.1 for some time and the switch back to W7, the difference in smoothness hits you like a brick. It's like the difference from Icecream Sandwich to Jellybean.

For me at least, it feels way too slow. Also, on 8.1, I love the visual volume slider, the new Task Manager, the flatter interface, the ModernUI calendar, the boot/shutdown/sleep loading times and I just love IE11 on 8.1 (which is faster than IE11 on W7)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I still use 7.
Too lazy and cheap to buy it for the 2 PC's I flop in front of.
The wife has it on her notebook ... she had it down almost immediately.

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes, My computer at work is Win 7 and my Desktop at home is Win 7. My laptop is Win 8 and I don't like it. I gave it several months and then after still not liking it downloaded a few programs to make it look and feel like Win 7. With that it's tolerable but still not that great. Thankfully my laptop was originally Win 7 and I just recently found the install disks so once I get everything of value backed up off the computer I can delete 8 and go back to 7. I think 8 would be fine for touchscreen devices but I just don't like it for a desktop/laptop. Hopefully 9, or whatever they call the next version, is designed in such a way that we as the user have a little more control in how it looks/works. I believe MS has enough smart people to create a single OS that can work on both a tablet and a desktop without forcing all the tablet type stuff on us non-tablet, non-touchscreen, non-swiping users. The real question is will they do that or continue their "we know what you want better than you do" attitude.

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Good thing about Windows is that you can mix and match operating systems, each version has a long product life that remains usable many years after official support ends. We use XP, Vista, 7 and 8 on a mix of laptops, desktops and tablets. Upgrade only when you have to. We only do it when a machine kicks the bucket or we need an app. Only shifted to XP when we decided to support docx files for work. MS customers are utilitarian, cost effectiveness and functions rank highest when evaluating our technology purchase decisions.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

deejohdumb

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I have 8.1 on my laptop, surface pro, and desktop, and a wp8. My wife has 7 on her desktop and converted her to windows phone. I use 7 at work. I find when I use 7 I always move my mouse to the corners to switch apps or for the charm bar. I am a creature of habit.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have 8.1 on my laptop, surface pro, and desktop, and a wp8. My wife has 7 on her desktop and converted her to windows phone. I use 7 at work. I find when I use 7 I always move my mouse to the corners to switch apps or for the charm bar. I am a creature of habit.

Its okay, my non-touchscreen monitors have finger prints all over them....

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I was recently updated from XP to Windows 7. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed - it's ugly and not much faster. It also freezes for 5-20 seconds several times per day, and wifi also drops out regularly. I use Windows 8 from time to time and have no intention of updating to it in the foreseeable future.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I was recently updated from XP to Windows 7. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed - it's ugly and not much faster. It also freezes for 5-20 seconds several times per day, and wifi also drops out regularly. I use Windows 8 from time to time and have no intention of updating to it in the foreseeable future.

I suggest checking the logs on your PC. Windows 7 wouldn't cause these issues. The upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 isn't marginal. It should be noticeably faster.

I also suggest changing your theme to classic and then shutting down the Themes service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6