10 amazingly stupid things the 'experts' will try to tell you about Microsoft: from ZD-Net

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think that was pretty good analysis. Ed Bott generally writes good, sensible stuff about Microsoft. He has had to debunk BS anti-MS sentiment in the past.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Tanks!
A very interesting read.
Now I have a new acronym to use "ABM" :winktongue:

I like the Yogi Berra reference "No one goes there anymore ... it's too crowded"
Looks like the usual rabble of cry and whine commenters were still trying to hatchet the articles points.

Excellent read!

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I hear #2, #4, and #5 from too many people (especially from Google fans that I work with). I should start calling them ABMers lol

ruronirican

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The fact that I read this in ZD-Net leaves me a bit stupefied. One of the better articles I've read about the future proofing strategy that MS is employing and will succeed with.

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
A very versatile writer indeed! I lol ed at work when I read this piece where he says .."they (Apple) are too busy fixing the horrifying SSL bugs...." :)

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Whoa... hate Office? I've never heard that. I mean the price complaints sure, but I've never heard any base complaints on the program itself.

Otherwise... had a blast reading this article. I still need to make the switch from Chrome this summer. IE11 has proven to be good enough for me, but a bit of a change in the learning curve.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the article. I liked it, except for #10 about Windows RT, which I think confuses things even more than they already are.

Ed Bot claimed:

the confusion comes about because Microsoft had announced plans to consolidate its APIs for Windows across the board.

I'm not aware of anyone who mistook that to mean Windows RT is dead. The confusion comes from entirely different sources. One often whispered rumour was how Windows Phone is expected to expand in features and functionality to eventually include many/most of Windows RT features, which is not the same as what Ed Bot said, but probably what he meant. The most important clue was provided by Julie Larson Green when she stated:

We have the Windows Phone OS. We have Windows RT and we have full Windows. We're not going to have three

I'd say it's technically correct to claim Windows RT is dead (or at least not going anywhere). With that I'm referring specifically to that piece of software that runs on todays ARM based Windows tablets. However, from a consumers point of view, that fact isn't really relevant. By the time Windows RT is buried, Windows Phone will have assimilated most (if not all) of Windows RT's features, it will look and function very similarly, and it will run on tablets as well as phones. BTW: that is also when we will finally get our unified app market.

The most important part about any software are not the individual lines of code, but the thoughts and concepts that went into designing it. Those parts of Windows RT will be alive and well and better than ever.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The most important part about any software are not the individual lines of code, but the thoughts and concepts that went into designing it. Those parts of Windows RT will be alive and well and better than ever.
The point behind Windows RT is the WinRT framework.

And, this is what a lot of people refuse to understand.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The current installed base of Windows Phone users numbers approximately 50 million. In the year after Microsoft closes its acquisition of Nokia, that number should blow past 100 million. By any rational standard, that's a market big enough for developers to take seriously. For the sake of comparison, that's more than the entire worldwide population of Apple Macs.

If you think Microsoft is going to turn its back on a growing installed base of 100 million customers, you really need to find a different beat to cover.
haha nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99