I'm on verizon, get Icon or wait for 8.1 phones?

tacroy

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Heya,
So I'm new to the whole WP world. I've been waiting for an excuse to switch over for a while now. The icon looks pretty awesome, but I'm hearing rumors that it's going to be outdated quickly because at MWC or Build Microsoft will likely introduce a new line of phones, all built for 8.1 (no hardware keys, etc)

Whats the general thoughts? I've waited on getting a new phone for a long time, so a few months isn't a big deal and I'd HATE to have it be superseded so quickly . But I know that Verizon tends to really lag on WP so should I jump in now?

Thanks!

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I try to break it down by thinking: "what could a phone have that would cause me regret with my purchase?"

Would the next phone (930?) have a way better screen? Way better built in wireless? Better software features? Faster LTE? Faster NFC? Better camera? Thinner?
-My first thought is "no" to nearly all of those. maybe thinner though.

You mention the on screen buttons...if that is something that would cause you regrets for the next two years the answer is obvious. I don't think I'd mind.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Judging by the release schedules of past phones, I highly doubt that Verizon will get a new phone specifically for 8.1. Besides, the new 8.1 hardware will likely have roughly the same specs as the Icon, and the Icon will be able to update to 8.1 with no problem.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I think Nokia may have answered your question for you. I've read in the past couple of days that they will Re-Release the 1520 on AT&T when the 8.1 is announced as a new Green colored 8.1 phone.

To me that says that they consider the newest WP phones as 8.1 phones. It also says to me that the next series of WP 8.1 phones are probably qued to be released later this year.

Go for the ICON.

Garrymp

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I agonized over this too. Came to the conclusions that 1) I'd be waiting for that next phone for longer than I want to. 2) That new phone's hardware will not be significantly better than the Icon. 3) The Icon will be a Windows 8.1 phone when the upgrade hits. 4) The difference will pretty much be physical buttons or screen buttons...I don'care.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
If you are stuck with Verizon I should say get it now, since they probably wont release a new wp in a long while, and the icon will get upgraded to 8.1 :wink:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Get the Icon, remember the Lumia 928 was the only WP released on Verizon last year, I`m not saying that is the case with the Icon but Verizon most likely will not release another one for awhile. Especially considering the Icon is already a solid phone and will get 8.1.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Get the Icon, remember the Lumia 928 was the only WP released on Verizon last year, I`m not saying that is the case with the Icon but Verizon most likely will not release another one for awhile. Especially considering the Icon is already a solid phone and will get 8.1.

u also have to remember when wp8 launched all the carriers minus sprint got new devices around the sake time att , vzw and T-Mobile...whose to say when 8.1 launches they don't do the same thing?? There's already a Samsung 8.1 device in the pipelines for Verizon

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
u also have to remember when wp8 launched all the carriers minus sprint got new devices around the sake time att , vzw and T-Mobile...whose to say when 8.1 launches they don't do the same thing?? There's already a Samsung 8.1 device in the pipelines for Verizon

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

That's a rumor. There is nothing concrete in a Samsung Windows Phone yet.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I switch to the Icon from the 8X and I love my phone so far. I think its mostly because of Nokia exclusives but I find the screen far easier to read web and there is so much room for activities.
tumblr_mded1mklTP1qfvgpgo1_500.jpg

Also, I am on the Verizon Edge plan so technically I can upgrade in 1 year or fork over money to upgrade in 6 months. A phone worth upgrading from the Icon has to be build way better than the Icon for me to switch though. I am unsure how I feel about software vs hardware keys but I would wait and see.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am STILL in awe whenever i hear the Icon or L1520 will be "outdated" anytime soon. There is a difference between "not the newest" and "outdated". Exactly HOW is a quad-core, high def screen, and top end graphic chip phone going to be outdated in 3-4 months? It just won't be. No way. Especially on WP devices. Wp 8.1 will be coming to pretty much all dual-core, lower res screened WP 8 phones, so I think the Icon is fine. My L900 is outdated. Big difference there.

Do you like the Icon? Grab it and start enjoying. Regardless of what is announced in April or May, the Icon will hold up to any of them.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Do we really think a Samsung WP would be better than Nokia?

This is a HUGE unknown. What content does MS keep to the Lumia line once it purchases the handset portion of Nokia? What does it open up to all other OEMs to get them to build more WPs?

Sammy could end up being a huge WP dark horse here, depending on how MS builds it's WP model. Right now- no, a Samsung WP is not better then a Nokia. But by May/June? November? Next year? Who knows.

Which doesn't change anything about how amazingly awesome the Icon is.......

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking from a general design aesthetic. Based on their historical designs I much prefer the build quality of Nokia over the plastic Samsung phones, and don't get me started on their faux leather backs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte