Xbox Video Question

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So I just have to ask for some other opinion on this... I am a cable cutter. Have been for almost a year now and try to watch all our entertainment through the Xbox. We usually rent movies. I've purchased a few. Some tv shows I like not on Hulu or Netflix I can purchase.

So I was looking at stargate sg1 season 10. I can purchase the hd season for $54. I can get the DVD blue ray on amazon for $17. (I think u can see where I'm going with this).

Any idea why such a big price divide between digital content and media? To me jt makes no sense at lease to have a 30 dollar difference.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yea, Xbox video is not for the working class. It's clearly aimed at the Nobs. Still, as you have Netflix you can just watch Doctor Who, Firefly and Farscape and then you'll not need to get SG1 at all, which saves you even more. Perfect solution. I have Netflix, so I've not bothered with Xbox Video at all.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Responding to cord cutting and the high cost of Stargate SG1 on Xbox Video.
I suggest Amazon Instant Video with an Amazon Prime account. It looks like you get 10 seasons of Staregate SG1, free Unlimited Streaming with Amazon Prime. Check out the other benefits of Amazon Prime.
Sadly, no Window Phone app.

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The problem with Amazon/Love Film is that they have no apps for anything much. Not on the PC, not on the Windows tablets, not on the Roku, not on the Sky box, not on the Xbox, not on WP. Basically, PS3/Amazon tablet exclusive service as far as I can see, except for via a browser. You have to go Netflix if you want a decently priced service that works across devices.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The problem with Amazon/Love Film is that they have no apps for anything much. Not on the PC, not on the Windows tablets, not on the Roku, not on the Sky box, not on the Xbox, not on WP. Basically, PS3/Amazon tablet exclusive service as far as I can see, except for via a browser. You have to go Netflix if you want a decently priced service that works across devices.

Sorry, but I have to correct something here.

Amazon absolutely has an Amazon Instant Video app for the Xbox. I use it on my 360 on a regular basis.

That said the digital content is generally priced higher due to the price requested by the studio for each episode sold.

Yeah, studios really need to figure the digital era out.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

I don't know what the "Love" you refer to, is but Amazon Instant Video with all the "free" Amazon Prime movies and television has apps on many devises in the USA. A "Bing" search on Amazon Instant Video Devices show the Manufacturer and even models. I have it on my Xboxes, my plasma HDTVs, Kindle, and in my Blu-Ray Player. My sister in law has it on their Roku. There is a plug-in for the amazing Windows Media Center (whole house TV, Music, Video, Movies, Photos).
I like HULU too.

Why don't you like web browsers?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what the "Love" you refer to, is but Amazon Instant Video with all the "free" Amazon Prime movies and television has apps on many devises in the USA. A "Bing" search on Amazon Instant Video Devices show the Manufacturer and even models. I have it on my Xboxes, my plasma HDTVs, Kindle, and in my Blu-Ray Player. My sister in law has it on their Roku. There is a plug-in for the amazing Windows Media Center (whole house TV, Music, Video, Movies, Photos).
I like HULU too.

LoveFilm is the UK version of the Amazon Video service I believe.

I also have AIV on everything except my 1520.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Kinda thought that. I probly should have mentioned that I do have a prime membership as well. I don't use it as often as I thought because it seems to have all the same shows available as Netflix. I really only had that because of the 2 day shipping. We order a lot of office supplies and other things from amazon. The prime video was just icing on the top so to speak.

Its the odd ball shows that I typically cant get. (Latest Walking Dead, Helix, Ancient Aliens, Falling Skies etc...) Xbox can provide the latest episodes (as well as Amazon) but I digress to the season pass costs. Definitely something they need to work on.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Kinda thought that. I [probably] should have mentioned that I do have a prime membership as well...
.... We order a lot of office supplies and other things from amazon. The prime video was just icing on the top so to speak.

Its the odd ball shows that I typically cant get. (Latest Walking Dead, Helix, Ancient Aliens, Falling Skies etc...) Xbox can provide the latest episodes (as well as Amazon) but I digress to the season pass costs. Definitely something they need to work on.

May I ask, you say you "digress to season pass costs. Definitely something they need to work on." who and what? Amazon Prime, that you pay for already, has Stargate SG1 and others on Instant Video for free to Prime members.

Are you saying you prefer to watch Stargate SG1 on Xbox Video, and you think the show costs too much on Xbox Video?

I'm okay watching on Amazon Prime Instant Video for free, but I do agree Xbox Video is typically higher price, and I wish it was lower.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Ah, perhaps Amazon/Love Film is more compatible in the US. It does seem to be on Roku there. Very different in the UK it seems.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would rather use the ms/xbox video because I'd have it on my tv, PC, surface, and phone. As of now amazon is only available on Xbox. There's better availability going the ms route with multiple devices. My wife is also getting on me about the over lap of services. Its an ongoing argument (Netflix,amazon,Hulu etc)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium