Just a general question. I'm a BB owner and just wanted some insight into the following questions: Why Windows? How does it stand out from the rest? For former BB owners, how does your current mobile phone compare to your previous BB?

If you have time, I would appreciate it if you could fill in this VERY short survey. It's for a university project, so all feedback is welcome). Thank you.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7C5KGPS
    03-05-2014 05:38 PM
    I'd be very interested to know what your findings are, if you would so care to share them.
    03-05-2014 05:54 PM
    I'd be glad to do so. Hopefully by tomorrow I'd have a broad range of answers to be able to gain some interesting insights. Just ouf of interest (and of course for my uni project), how do you perceive Blackberry? Is it a brand you think has had it's good times and is set for permanent departure? Or do you sense a revival?
    03-05-2014 06:04 PM
    Well, I won't go into /everything/ I love about Windows... (it wouldn't be internet friendly in terms of read length), but basically: I just love where Microsoft is headed.

Microsoft's history has been quite a bumpy road, with plenty of pot holes along the way. The world still laughs at them for the disaster that was Windows Vista, and Internet Explorer still had a terrible reputation from the old mess it was. Indeed, Microsoft has really messed up in the past.

But that's changing. With the new Metro UI philosophy, they've come up with some modern, fresh, and new. It's clean and smooth, yet still colorful and eye catching. I love how everything just works. Seriously, I've never use any OS mores stable and fast than Windows 8 and Windows Phone on my Surface Pro 2, and my Lumia 1020 respectively.

That's not to say that Microsoft is without sin. Nay, there are still many small details they're missing. They're small details, but definitely impact the user experience. Also, they have a terrible history of treating their customers like guinea pigs and leaving them in the dust. Anyone who bought a Lumia 900 (or any WP7 handset, really...) got complete screwed over when the Lumia 920 and Windows Phone 8 came out only months later. Anyone who used Zune got screwed over during the transition to Xbox Music and Video (hell, they still are, seeing as there are still lots of missing features).

Well then, will all in in mind, how could anyone love Microsoft?! Well, after all their mishaps, I think Microsoft is fi ally learning. Now they've got their foot in the door, they can work on perfecting what they have. I eagerly look forward to the future of Microsoft. We've got a new CEO, new morale, and now that we've got some breathing room since Windows Phone has hit "critical mass," things are looking only to get better. The One Microsoft, One Windows future sound beautiful, and I can't wait till it reaches fruition.

While we've still got a long way to go, things are finally turning around for Microsoft. What they have is great, and there's literally nowhere but up from here on out. That's why I love Microsoft: not just the great stuff they have on the market today, but also because of the great stuff that'll be on the market tomorrow.

Sorry I rambled for so long, hope I helped in some way, shape or form. Hope I helped you out, and perhaps spread the joy of the Microsoft vision, maybe you can join us on this yellow brick road into the future? :)
    03-05-2014 06:04 PM
    I appreciate the info. It's true, you learn something new everyday. As a current (and not satisfied BB owner), I am on the lookout for an upgrade. I refuse to move over to iPhone as I am not one to simply follow the crowd. That being said, it leaves few options. I'll be sure to be back here to let you know whether I've switched over to what you call the "yellow brick road".
    03-05-2014 06:26 PM
    Well my personal opinion (that you'll never find on Crackberry) is that I don't think BB will survive as a device company. Maybe as service company with BES and QNX, but I don't even think that John Chen can save BB. Frankly, the world doesn't need 4 major operating systems, hell, some people don't even need 3. BB doesn't have the ecosystem to convince people why you should buy their phones.

I realize some say that the new devices can save the company, but one budget phone being sold in Indonesia isn't going to help. The Lumia 520 is selling like crazy, but its worldwide and is half the price of the Z3. Budget phones don't even have high profit margins, so even if they sold 10 million, they'll still be losing money.

Microsoft doesn't even turn a profit from Windows Phone (although they're getting there, and should be by the end of the year, if not, next year), so they have to shift money from their other departments to keep Windows Phone going. BB doesn't have anything that makes them that much money, so I see their days as a phone maker are numbered.

They've seen better days, but unless they pull something magical, I don't see myself wanting any future BB. When I saw that 94% of the people that traded in an old BB chose another competitor, I knew that their best days were behind them.

The only way that they could stay alive in phones is if they get a buyer (Amazon comes to my mind) who can keep the business alive long enough to make a profit.
    03-05-2014 07:23 PM
    I appreciate the info. It's true, you learn something new everyday. As a current (and not satisfied BB owner), I am on the lookout for an upgrade. I refuse to move over to iPhone as I am not one to simply follow the crowd. That being said, it leaves few options. I'll be sure to be back here to let you know whether I've switched over to what you call the "yellow brick road".
    Do whatever works best for you. I personally feel people should discover and use what's best for them.

I personally am kind of "stuck" on Windows Phone. That isn't a bad thing (love Microsoft!), but rather, no matter what grievances I have (which are admittedly, few): I'm not fond of the competition.

iOS is old, boring and stale. Even with iOS 7 (a rip-off of Metro if I ever saw one... Only Tinzen tops it), it's too been-there, done-that. Not too mention that Apple hasn't really done anything unique hardware wise. Touch ID is neat, but mostly can be ignored. Although, the sapphire display coming with the iPhone 6, now THAT will be beast.

As for Android: it's a mess. I'm a tech nerd, and I keep trying to give it a chance... But it's so ugly, cluttered and laggy, barf. Shame, Android has some beautiful hardware (HTC One, anyone?), but the software it runs makes me want to vomit....

And BlackBerry is actually kind of a sad story. I'm actually somewhat fond of it, and BB10 unveiled some new mobile features that can be appreciated. But sadly, much like Windows Phone: it's too little, too late. Microsoft is a BIG company, so they've got plenty to keep 'em afloat while they get mobile sorted out. But BlackBerry doesn't have those resources. It's unfortunate, but this marks the end of an era...

Erm, anyways, going back to my original point (I love tangents): people should feel free to use what suites them best. Is Touch ID a must have? Go for it. Do you like tinkering away with your phone? Android express! Whatever it is, go for it. I just simply hate when people become TOO happy with their ecosystem, and become ignorant and proclaim blasphemy in regards to anything else.

Rambling: over.
    Julek likes this.
    03-05-2014 10:39 PM
    To be honest, I wouldn't put myself as a full on, tech addict. As a sports fan, I'm a keen watcher of football and b-ball, so I'll be looking for a good size screen with high resolution to watch it on whilst im out. BB is definitely off the table. I'm leaning towards the S4. I'l probably leave the S5 for the guinea pigs to test out.
    03-06-2014 07:46 AM
    To be honest, I wouldn't put myself as a full on, tech addict. As a sports fan, I'm a keen watcher of football and b-ball, so I'll be looking for a good size screen with high resolution to watch it on whilst im out. BB is definitely off the table. I'm leaning towards the S4. I'l probably leave the S5 for the guinea pigs to test out.
    Don't forget about the Lumia ICON and 1520. While I can't comment on the former, the 1520's screen is GORGEOUS!!!
    03-06-2014 09:05 AM
    The topic listed is much more broad than the scope of your conversation. First, pointing to OP, I think BlackBerry really only can excel at this point of corporately secured devices. It's a niche market, but they still work well at it.

I chose Windows Phone because I didn't want an iPhone. I was considering an Android or Windows Phone right after WP7 came out. I chose WP because I really liked the UI. I liked how the live tiles make using the phone easy at a glance. I really do like this UI construct, and I don't think there is anything close to this in the mobile OS space, except for WP.
    03-06-2014 04:00 PM
    This makes me want to switch to WP8!
    03-12-2014 10:23 PM
    #time2switch

Sent from my MIND
    03-13-2014 11:48 AM
    #time2switch

Sent from my MIND
    #IKnow! I'd like a Lumia 1020, but I know when I do, Nokia will release the successor of the phone.
    03-13-2014 12:05 PM
    Would it be too late for me to chime in a little opinion talk? If so, here goes.

I just recently deactivated my Q10 for Windows Phone. The background I would like to share is firstly, the smartphone has been the most wonderful and amazing impact on my life, I'm 32 and was around when computers first started making their way into homes. Now, I have tried out every platform out there in their older times, iPhone, Android (before I knew what I know now about Google Inc), and of course BlackBerry. Anyone who knows me would tell you I live and breathe BlackBerry. Extremely loyal and emotionally attached beyond most normal people. I still have in my possession, on a nice display with little metallic stands for each device, every BB I've ever owned. Since I've had my Q10, I even switched activations back and forth between it and my Bold 9930 because I loved BBOS and it's UI, which is apparently not a common opinion. I also, due to my extreme disdain with anything involving Google Inc was highly frustrated with their decision to forcefully include an Android runtime on the device. Besides that, still bonded like a third appendage, me and my BlackBerry.

Now, during that brief period here a little ways back when the company announced they were up for sale and were dead set on executing this, I started considering my options. I briefly ended up with a Windows Phone because I iOS is really not for me, and I will not use an Android. I do like Microsoft and use alot of their services so WP seemed a pretty logical fit anyway. Also, I love the aesthetics of Windows 8 and as such, love Metro. To me the UI is a beauty and I was almost excited to see the mobile OS has the same thing going on. I was very upset and distraught that my beloved company and platform were supposed to be dying. It didn't take long for me to reactivate my BB solely because I missed it, I decided I'd just hang on till the devices were too far gone. That experience planted a seed I guess, and its taken its time to grow. Now, as you would guess, I am someone who values data security far over what big name apps I can get or how many cores my phone has. Since I've learned how to encrypt my device, and seeing how well MS has progressed thru security certifications, my concerns on that front are a bit eased, so I feel I can trust my data here, and again, I use and rely on Microsoft's services.

The result of the seed planted that long ago is how I'm finally here. I will always love BB, those devices have been a part of my everyday life for a long time and there during all sorts of big and small life experiences and changes. As for the here and now, WP has does the job and actually pulled me away. Everything about this user experience has given me my new best friend. I love the native integration with the stuff I use, and the apps I need most (like Office, budget balancing and tracking, etc etc) are all here. I feel this connection to my device in that the OS fits me like a glove and as I said, I just love everything about it, except of course being rooted upon a virtual keyboard because I was between 70-80wpm and now, ouch. I do an awful lot of writing and even published a book that I wrote entirely on a Bold 9650, its simply awesome having actual Microsoft Office on board (my formatting never gets screwed up between here and Office on PC.

Don't know what else to say. This feels more "me" than BB10. I still don't believe it myself, but I guess the notion of "moving on" has happened. If you actually read all this crapola, I hope you aren't bored to absolute tears. See ya.
    SwimSwim likes this.
    03-17-2014 09:14 AM
    Because sometimes you need to see the light.
    03-17-2014 05:42 PM
    I refuse to move over to iPhone as I am not one to simply follow the crowd.
    Just curious - so you wouldn't buy an iPhone even if it was the best option for you? If so, could you elaborate why?
    03-19-2014 10:25 AM