'What's a Surface Pro?' - Microsoft messaging woes

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
This same thing happens with me all the time. The problem with some people who see it being used and realize how good it is is that there will always be the trolls who won't swallow their pride and don't want to admit that the Surface Pro (1 & 2) could be useful to them or just that it's a good product.

To be honest, the thing I like most about my tablet is that it is *not* a PC. It's fast, cheap, light, stable, has very good battery life and everything is designed for touch. I personally prefer to have both a 'proper' tablet and a 'proper' laptop. It's not just about the points I already mentioned, it's also the fact the I find the ideal size for a tablet different to the ideal size for a laptop.
I'm sure there are people who find a PC/tablet useful, but dismissing those who don't as 'trolls' is blinkered, to say the least.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
This same thing happens with me all the time. The problem with some people who see it being used and realize how good it is is that there will always be the trolls who won't swallow their pride and don't want to admit that the Surface Pro (1 & 2) could be useful to them or just that it's a good product.

What rubbish. Different people use devices in different ways. The Surface Pro, with either Touch or Type covers, will never be even half as good as my Macbook Air for coding. I do not want or need a tablet that can replace my laptop or desktop or whatever. Each of these devices has its utility and I am not willing to compromise on any aspect of that in order to prove that MSFT is the best.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What rubbish. Different people use devices in different ways. The Surface Pro, with either Touch or Type covers, will never be even half as good as my Macbook Air for coding. I do not want or need a tablet that can replace my laptop or desktop or whatever. Each of these devices has its utility and I am not willing to compromise on any aspect of that in order to prove that MSFT is the best.
lol
Who pissed in your Wheaties?

He didn't say that it's the optimal product for every niche. He just said that it's a good device.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
lol
Who pissed in your Wheaties?

That's a very unpleasant image.

He didn't say that it's the optimal product for every niche. He just said that it's a good device.

To be fair, he was responding to a post calling anyone who didn't admit the Surface Pro is a good device a 'troll'. Now, I'm not convinced the Surface Pro is a 'good device', and I'm not a troll. And don't even think about calling me one because it's against the forum rules.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, the thing I like most about my tablet is that it is *not* a PC. It's fast, cheap, light, stable, has very good battery life and everything is designed for touch. I personally prefer to have both a 'proper' tablet and a 'proper' laptop. It's not just about the points I already mentioned, it's also the fact the I find the ideal size for a tablet different to the ideal size for a laptop.
I'm sure there are people who find a PC/tablet useful, but dismissing those who don't as 'trolls' is blinkered, to say the least.

I'm not saying everyone who doesn't find a Surface or Tablet PC useful is a troll, but the Apple and Google loyalists who won't even try another device before they dislike it.

For example, I have used a version of almost all of Apple's products for a reasonable amount (enough to know how it would feel to use them daily) of time to say I that I hate the experience of their software and hardware. But with Google, I have never used anything running any version of Android to say anything good or bad about it, so I don't. I would be what I think of as a troll if I were to say something against a Google device or operating system because I do not know enough about it to make a reasonable judgment about it.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

so does that mean you carry a flip phone, a tape recorder, a physical notepad, a music player, and a full camera with you at all times? If not, then why not? I mean, each of those things does the job better than a smartphone, even though the smartphone is "good enough" at all of those things.

Things usually consolidate into one thing that does it all good enough. Granted, I play PC games, so I use a desktop for that, but if I didn't do that, I would be more than satisfied with my Surface Pro.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
so does that mean you carry a flip phone, a tape recorder, a physical notepad, a music player, and a full camera with you at all times? If not, then why not? I mean, each of those things does the job better than a smartphone, even though the smartphone is "good enough" at all of those things.

Things usually consolidate into one thing that does it all good enough. Granted, I play PC games, so I use a desktop for that, but if I didn't do that, I would be more than satisfied with my Surface Pro.

That's not true. I still have a separate TV, DVD player, wifi router, fridge, microwave, coffee machine, smart phone, tablet, laptop and several lights. Those are just things I can see from where I'm sitting now. I don't see much value in combining them. And although my smartphone has a reasonable camera, I will still take a separate camera on my next holiday because it takes much better pictures.

It would be more accurate to say that a couple of things sometimes consolidate into one device that is "good enough" at those things to be useful. Personally, I wouldn't want to do much work on a Surface Pro because it's too small (yes, I have tried). I wish I could, because a Surface Pro would be much lighter than the nasty laptop I have to use now. But it just doesn't work for me. If a combined PC/tablet works for you, that's great, but other people's views are just as valid (although I'm not defending the absolute statements in the post you quoted).

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That's not true. I still have a separate TV, DVD player, wifi router, fridge, microwave, coffee machine, smart phone, tablet, laptop and several lights. Those are just things I can see from where I'm sitting now. I don't see much value in combining them. And although my smartphone has a reasonable camera, I will still take a separate camera on my next holiday because it takes much better pictures.

It would be more accurate to say that a couple of things sometimes consolidate into one device that is "good enough" at those things to be useful. Personally, I wouldn't want to do much work on a Surface Pro because it's too small (yes, I have tried). I wish I could, because a Surface Pro would be much lighter than the nasty laptop I have to use now. But it just doesn't work for me. If a combined PC/tablet works for you, that's great, but other people's views are just as valid (although I'm not defending the absolute statements in the post you quoted).

You have a point, I was being a little too vague, but its not hard to imagine that if, for example, your DVD player could be easily and cheaply built into your TV, the manufacturers would do it. Sure, not EVERYTHING consolidates, but if it can, they usually will, its just not always viable to do it (such as a TV and a fridge).

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
You have a point, I was being a little too vague, but its not hard to imagine that if, for example, your DVD player could be easily and cheaply built into your TV, the manufacturers would do it. Sure, not EVERYTHING consolidates, but if it can, they usually will, its just not always viable to do it (such as a TV and a fridge).

Actually, TV/DVD player combinations are available (and used to be more common) - see Amazon.com: TV-DVD Combinations: Televisions & Video
For some reason, they have never been very popular. I've never seen one outside a shop or a hotel room.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually, TV/DVD player combinations are available (and used to be more common) - see Amazon.com: TV-DVD Combinations: Televisions & Video
For some reason, they have never been very popular. I've never seen one outside a shop or a hotel room.

oh, I know they exist, but since TVs are getting thinner and thinner, they wouldn't be viable for the most part. I'd also imagine that since streaming is becoming the norm, people have less and less needs for DVDs, hence the manufacturers don't bother with it.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
oh, I know they exist, but since TVs are getting thinner and thinner, they wouldn't be viable for the most part. I'd also imagine that since streaming is becoming the norm, people have less and less needs for DVDs, hence the manufacturers don't bother with it.

That and the fact they never sold very well. A few years' ago, it was easy enough to integrate a DVD player into a TV, although you are right that it's not so convenient now.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I think this arugment should be seen more in terms of a PS3/4 or Xbox360/one. Instead of needing a game console, dvd player, blueray player, roku and music player, you have them all in one. I grew up in the 90's so all those were separate gadgets at the time (hell, streaming/blueray wasnt even an option yet). The only thing its really missing is speaker amplification so I wont need a separate receiver to plug my speakers into. I wouldnt mind it being a little more expensive and larger if it had that option.
I always looked at the Surface Pro as a Tablet/PC replacement. In terms of a laptop I found 13.3" screen is the best size for portability and functionality. A 10" screen can be used in a pinch as a laptop for basic pc needs like Office productivity or even on the fly music and photo editing but nothing more intensive than that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa