Xbox Music or Nokia MixRadio

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Oh hey I'm in northeast FL myself... :)

Anyway, I think Mix Radio gets better the more you use it. Try adding a few more favorites. Let it do the "computer scan" (follow the directions on this) and create more than 1 set of "mixes".. give it a little diversity by adding something odd like two popular artists and one from a totally different genre. For example; Rush, Van Halen, and then Willie Nelson..

I agree though, Xbox music is definitely not worth the $9.99 a month. Another thing that actually makes Nokia Mix Radio worth $3.99 a month for me personally though, is that the subscription cost is added to my phone bill each month with AT&T... So I hardly ever notice the extra $3.99. I can also purchase music ..songs or even full albums (along with apps from the WP store) and have it applied to my phone bill (carrier billing).

ok cool I'll mess around with it more. Yea I don't notice 3 bucks on a $200 bill lol. Yea the Xbox live is such a gip 50 a year just connect to the server.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Mix Radio+ for me please! Even the free version.. but subscribe to the paid "plus" version and it's only $3.99 /mo. compared to Xbox Music's subscription only service at $9.99 /mo. As much as I love and support Microsoft and their products, the "Xbox music pass" is one thing that I can't stand... and never quite understood (maybe if I had an Xbox 360 or Xbox One gaming console, I'd see things differently... but I've been a PC gamer since the DOS days, so I don't). I tried the "Xbox music pass free trial for a month" thing, and promptly cancelled it (which btw, is tricky to do... seems like they don't want you to easily find the "cancel auto-renew" button.) as I was not impressed at all.

I have a very large collection of music and I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $9.99 a month to listen to music that I already own. The only reason I subscribed to Nokia Mix Radio + is for their streaming music service (like Pandora) to find and discover new music/artists where you enter 1-3 artists and the service finds similar music/artists in the genre. I find Nokia Mix Radio + to be the best at this... even better than Pandora or Spotify! And being a $3.99 a month subscriber gets you unlimited skips, Zero ads, High quality audio, more offline saved mixes, etc. Oh and the Windows 8 version of the app is awesome! I have it on my Surface 2 and use nothing else for music.

Thanks for the post. I appreciate it because I have been considering switching to Xbox music. I wish I could have the best of both worlds really. Maybe in the future since MS just purchased huge parts of Nokia.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
XBOX Music. Liked it enough to buy the whole year package. Son, Daughter LOVE that I am letting them piggy back my purchase. My Daughter played around with Nokia Mix. She may not have given it long enough to truly gauge it, but is giddy with all the music on her L1020 from XBOX Jams.

Looking excitedly to the improvements. Sounds like MS is serious about making this a prime time player.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
wp8.1: Nokia MixRadio
my region supported unlike xbox music plus its has beautiful layout and live tile unlike xbox music, some functionality missing like you can't create playlist for your music, you can pin mixes but you can pin albums from your library

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I hadn't even launched MixRadio until trying the 8.1DP.
But Xbox Music is so lacking in performance, features and usability that I gave MixRadio a go.
It's bloomin' awesome by comparison. I'm not a fan of the pink logo, but in all other ways it totally exceeds Xbox Music.
Still have the annoying "clip" at the beginning of each track, so I guess that's a 8.1 DP thing rather than app-specific. Hope that gets fixed in the 8.1 release or I'll have to ditch the phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Music+ is great for me, especially with the offline mixes.

I don't use Xbox Music, since I buy my music from Amazon.com. I've never bothered adding my personal music to my device, since I either use Nokia Music+ or other streaming services (TuneInRadio, Songza, iHeartRadio, Pandora, Slacker).

streifenleopard

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
What I like about XBox Music:
- In 8.1 I can now create playlists fairly easy.
- I can scrobble songs I listened to to Last.fm through ScrobbleMe.
What I don't like:
- Laggy, slow, confusing, What is all that nonsense in the menu like "special music"?

What I like about MixRadio:
- Mixes created by selecting three artists are great (I try to give Nokia a hard time by selecting stuff like Beatles + Iggy Pop + Stone Roses but they keep coming up with decent mixes).
- Offline mixes are great.
- PlayMe will work great once I will have set it up properly.

What I don't like:
- No possibility to scrobble.
- Design is just horrid. And confusing. I totally don't understand its startscreen - tiles cluttered across the screen with and without covers both from the internet, from my collection, from mixes, single songs whatever.
- Why can't it just read my favourite artists from my home collection, my Last.fm stats or from the music collection on my phone? I have some favourites which I must have added once, I have something which was "added for me" (whatever it means) and I somehow don't have my tastes represented.
- I cannot see any play history. So, for each song's title/artist I have to access the phone.

I would love to manage my home music collection on my NAS with the Win 8 MixRadio app but I can't even get MixRadio to adjust to a path different from MyMusic. I would also love to sync my phone (incl. likes and stats etc.) to my phone collection but I can't see Nokia putting any effort in it, so I will have to rely on MediaMonkey, MusicBee or DS AudioStation for quite some time.

anon5924279

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I tried both in the past, but currently I have no subscription. What I like about XBOX Music is that it offers more music - MixRadio seems a bit more limited. But one also has to understand that Xbox Music is more for people that know which artists they like to listen to and search specifically for these songs/Albums. It will make suggestions of similar artists though.
MixRadio follows more the idea of a radio station. You pick the genre of music (or ask it to create a mix with your favorite artists) and it will confront you with new artists and songs to experience. MixRadio+ gives you unlimited skipping, unlimited offline mixes and (if available) the lyrics of the song playing. It also gives you updates about your favorite artists and concerts.

Confusing with XBox Music Pass was, that while the abonnement is active, you can download and use songs, but once you terminate it, those songs cannot be played. So either you keep paying or you buy them separately. Since I can buy songs I like even without the abonnement, I prefer MixRadio to find new artists and just listen to music, and Xbox free for browsing for specific songs or artists.

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I mostly use xbox music...
But today while opening the app, it was stucked on loading screen.. even tried it after restarting the phone, bud didn't help...
Any one else facing this problem.?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I mostly use xbox music...
But today while opening the app, it was stucked on loading screen.. even tried it after restarting the phone, bud didn't help...
Any one else facing this problem.?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Same here. And I also have had the error of Xbox music not updating ever since the first update came out. Anyone here knows the fix?

Last edited:

Mike Carter66

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello. I've been flogging my way through all the streaming apps trying to find the right one. As you are a user can you tell me,

Are mixes the equivalent of stations ?

I notice in some apps when you start a station the same list of songs come up, is this the case with Mix Radio,?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs