Xbox Music or Nokia MixRadio

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hard call. I've voted Xbox Music as this is what I tend to use when playing any music from my own collection I've put on my phone. I use Mix Radio only when I want to listen to a specific mix, typically.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I use Xbox Music. I think it's better in the U.S. Not sure if it's the same around the world. I'd suspect the MixRadio might have more tracks available in other countries than Xbox Music, but again, I'm not sure.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Mix Radio+ for me please! Even the free version.. but subscribe to the paid "plus" version and it's only $3.99 /mo. compared to Xbox Music's subscription only service at $9.99 /mo. As much as I love and support Microsoft and their products, the "Xbox music pass" is one thing that I can't stand... and never quite understood (maybe if I had an Xbox 360 or Xbox One gaming console, I'd see things differently... but I've been a PC gamer since the DOS days, so I don't). I tried the "Xbox music pass free trial for a month" thing, and promptly cancelled it (which btw, is tricky to do... seems like they don't want you to easily find the "cancel auto-renew" button.) as I was not impressed at all.

I have a very large collection of music and I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $9.99 a month to listen to music that I already own. The only reason I subscribed to Nokia Mix Radio + is for their streaming music service (like Pandora) to find and discover new music/artists where you enter 1-3 artists and the service finds similar music/artists in the genre. I find Nokia Mix Radio + to be the best at this... even better than Pandora or Spotify! And being a $3.99 a month subscriber gets you unlimited skips, Zero ads, High quality audio, more offline saved mixes, etc. Oh and the Windows 8 version of the app is awesome! I have it on my Surface 2 and use nothing else for music.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Idk, hard call but the price difference makes mix the better call, only thing mix is buggy, it doesn't remember thumbs down and has no way to replay a previous track and sometimes it double plays

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Mix Radio+ for me please! Even the free version.. but subscribe to the paid "plus" version and it's only $3.99 /mo. compared to Xbox Music's subscription only service at $9.99 /mo. As much as I love and support Microsoft and their products, the "Xbox music pass" is one thing that I can't stand... and never quite understood (maybe if I had an Xbox 360 or Xbox One gaming console, I'd see things differently... but I've been a PC gamer since the DOS days, so I don't). I tried the "Xbox music pass free trial for a month" thing, and promptly cancelled it (which btw, is tricky to do... seems like they don't want you to easily find the "cancel auto-renew" button.) as I was not impressed at all.

I have a very large collection of music and I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $9.99 a month to listen to music that I already own. The only reason I subscribed to Nokia Mix Radio + is for their streaming music service (like Pandora) to find and discover new music/artists where you enter 1-3 artists and the service finds similar music/artists in the genre. I find Nokia Mix Radio + to be the best at this... even better than Pandora or Spotify! And being a $3.99 a month subscriber gets you unlimited skips, Zero ads, High quality audio, more offline saved mixes, etc. Oh and the Windows 8 version of the app is awesome! I have it on my Surface 2 and use nothing else for music.

could you please explain what is the free version ? I got 3 months unlimited downloads with my new phone and its over now, and i cant even play me, or play any mixes. I'm still wondering what is free if clicking on play me tells me to pay for a subscription which still had limited skips... Explain ?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh and mix seems to play every group except the ones in that mix lol

I haven't had that problem. For me, it always plays one of the artists I've chosen first, and always goes back to a track by a chosen artist after a few songs.

could you please explain what is the free version ? I got 3 months unlimited downloads with my new phone and its over now, and i cant even play me, or play any mixes. I'm still wondering what is free if clicking on play me tells me to pay for a subscription which still had limited skips... Explain ?

What region are you in? I'm not sure what, if anything, changed, but while I was using the free version (without subscribing) I had no problems like you are describing.

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
If I had to choose one over the other I'd go with Xbox Music. I like being able to download as many tracks and albums as I want.

To me, Xbox Music and Mixradio (free version) are the ultimate package though. I use Mixradio when I want to discover new music and when I hear something I like I download it through Xbox Music.

Perfect combination.

Then again, some people might not download as much music as me so the cost of the Xbox subscription might not make it worth while.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
If I had to choose one over the other I'd go with Xbox Music. I like being able to download as many tracks and albums as I want.

To me, Xbox Music and Mixradio (free version) are the ultimate package though. I use Mixradio when I want to discover new music and when I hear something I like I download it through Xbox Music.

Perfect combination.

Then again, some people might not download as much music as me so the cost of the Xbox subscription might not make it worth while.

could you please elaborate what's free version ? My unlimited downloads which came with my phone has expired, and now i cant do anything for free :( but everyone says there's a lot for free.. Could you please explain ? i want to know what exactly happens (or is supposed to happen) when the 3-4 months free unlimited downloads subscription ends...

P.s. I'm in India, and its very annoying not to get to use muxradio when i already dont get Xbox music here.

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand the paid version of mix radio allows the user to have unlimited skips, better sound quality and unlimited offline mixes. The free version gives the user six skips per mix per hour and they can only download four offline mixes at a time.

I never used the free trial for the paid version. I've only ever used the free version.

Maybe uninstall and then reinstall....or look around online and see if others have the same problem.

You'd think that after your trial was up you'd still be able to take advantage of the free version and not hit roadblocks everytime you try to use it. Strange.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
From what I understand the paid version of mix radio allows the user to have unlimited skips, better sound quality and unlimited offline mixes. The free version gives the user six skips per mix per hour and they can only download four offline mixes at a time.

I never used the free trial for the paid version. I've only ever used the free version.

Maybe uninstall and then reinstall....or look around online and see if others have the same problem.

You'd think that after your trial was up you'd still be able to take advantage of the free version and not hit roadblocks everytime you try to use it. Strange.

mine was called "unlimited downloads subscription" but not mixradio+, and my skips were limited... I had got it for free for 3 months with my phone. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 5 times, i even made a new nokia account but it started trying to register it for the 3 months subscription again, and said your phone is already registered for it. No one has had this problem, I've searched a lot.. Infact i asked nokia on live chat, they said it is supposed to be that way and nothing is for free, maybe they just wanted me to shut up because the customer executive didn't know the situation / solution...

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had that problem. For me, it always plays one of the artists I've chosen first, and always goes back to a track by a chosen artist after a few songs.

What region are you in? I'm not sure what, if anything, changed, but while I was using the free version (without subscribing) I had no problems like you are describing.

North Florida, yes it always starts with the artist of the favorite or mix but will only play 2 maybe 3 tracks from that artist in 2 hours and its always the same ones. It has a bad habit of forgetting what tracks I've liked or thumbs down. Don't get me wrong I like it its just a lil buggy but way better then Pandora and I can't see spending 10 bucks a month for Xbox music especially when im paying for a gold membership

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
North Florida, yes it always starts with the artist of the favorite or mix but will only play 2 maybe 3 tracks from that artist in 2 hours and its always the same ones. It has a bad habit of forgetting what tracks I've liked or thumbs down. Don't get me wrong I like it its just a lil buggy but way better then Pandora and I can't see spending 10 bucks a month for Xbox music especially when im paying for a gold membership
Oh hey I'm in northeast FL myself... :)

Anyway, I think Mix Radio gets better the more you use it. Try adding a few more favorites. Let it do the "computer scan" (follow the directions on this) and create more than 1 set of "mixes".. give it a little diversity by adding something odd like two popular artists and one from a totally different genre. For example; Rush, Van Halen, and then Willie Nelson..

I agree though, Xbox music is definitely not worth the $9.99 a month. Another thing that actually makes Nokia Mix Radio worth $3.99 a month for me personally though, is that the subscription cost is added to my phone bill each month with AT&T... So I hardly ever notice the extra $3.99. I can also purchase music ..songs or even full albums (along with apps from the WP store) and have it applied to my phone bill (carrier billing).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb