Microsoft Windows 8 sucks and here is why...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitek

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I own Lenovo Yoga 11s. Love the laptop and I think Windows 8 is best Windows to date (for touchscreen devices). So why my negative title then. Because Windows 8 sucks or rather how Microsoft is handling Windows Mobile 8 and Windows 8 situation. It is absolutely frustrating to see all those cool apps coming to Windows Mobile 8 and then I go to Windows store on my laptop and with few exceptions there is absolute and utter garbage there. It feels like Windows 8 store is place where student programmers send their "homework" for us to rate or something. I cannot get so many apps that are available for Windows Mobile 8. No official instangram no official tumblr etc. etc. etc. this totally sucks. Good that i did not buy Surface RT because i would throw it out the window. I am surprised and buffed that company of Microsoft magnitude and resources cannot get this done the way it should. This also shows that there was no long term cohesive strategy for the company. When can i get all these apps on my lenovo with windows 8 and what is the hold up there really ? why is this such a big deal for microsoft to unify both platforms ?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
If the companies such as the ones you cited don't wanna develop apps for Windows 8, they just won't do it and there's nothing Microsoft can do about it. Just like if Microsoft doesn't wanna make Office for iPad, though I hear that's happening soon, there's nothing Apple can do about it.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I own Lenovo Yoga 11s. Love the laptop and I think Windows 8 is best Windows to date (for touchscreen devices). So why my negative title then. Because Windows 8 sucks or rather how Microsoft is handling Windows Mobile 8 and Windows 8 situation. It is absolutely frustrating to see all those cool apps coming to Windows Mobile 8 and then I go to Windows store on my laptop and with few exceptions there is absolute and utter garbage there. It feels like Windows 8 store is place where student programmers send their "homework" for us to rate or something. I cannot get so many apps that are available for Windows Mobile 8. No official instangram no official tumblr etc. etc. etc. this totally sucks. Good that i did not buy Surface RT because i would throw it out the window. I am surprised and buffed that company of Microsoft magnitude and resources cannot get this done the way it should. This also shows that there was no long term cohesive strategy for the company. When can i get all these apps on my lenovo with windows 8 and what is the hold up there really ? why is this such a big deal for microsoft to unify both platforms ?

I was assuming you'd be telling a flaw in Windows 8. Instead, you blame Microsoft for other companies not making apps. There's nothing they can do about it.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

It looks like you may be new to the Windows platform. "Windows Mobile" terminology went out years ago. Now it is simply Windows Phone 8 or WP8.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm. I admit the Windows 8 Store doesn't have a lot of apps. But I don't necessarily consider it an issue. Windows 8 is a full PC. It runs full programs not just apps. So it covers all the bases in my opinion. I use the Windows 8 apps for convenience. For example Netflix and Hulu Plus are more convenient. Weather apps are nice, some cook book apps are nice too. I actually don't prefer many websites who make apps. Because the full website usually has more functionality. There isn't a Pandora app. But I can just go to the webpage. Also I found the argument about Windows 8 being more touch orientated a mute point. There are some good Hot Keys or Short Cut keys that do the same thing as touch. And like others have said this isn't really Microsoft's fault for lack of apps. More so the companies for not developing apps for it. They would probably rather save money and just have users use a full functional website instead. If your app isn't in the store use the website it is simple really. It's what I do. Saying Windows 8 sucks for lack apps when you can just use the website or a full program doesn't make that a fair argument.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I really don't understand why you need instagram on a laptop with a ****ty front facing camera, and to browse instagram, you can just open the browser and look at it there. W8 x86-64 runs almost all programs that W7 did and XP before that.
The only 'app' I use on W8 is calendar, for everything else I use normal applications (that we used to call programs back in the day) on the desktop. There's nothing missing. If I want to check out tumblr, I open firefox and browse there, it's better then any app.

Do you remember how apps looked like on first android tablets? Aweful. They were just scaled up phone apps with no extra functionality whatsoever. At least this is somewhat avoided here, but there are some great apps in W8 store even so. Apparently they're going to merge RT and WP with update1 and WP8.1, maybe then you'll be satisfied.
Even now that android has matured, many apps are really just websites wrapped in apk, and mobile version of the website works just as well.

And last thing, tablets are really only useful for watching videos and playing angry birds. Your 'tablet' has a built in keyboard and touchpad, so you can enjoy actual proper programs like Photoshop and not some useless touch version of it that applies a sepia filter for 4,99€.

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I believe Windows has over 8 million apps. Shortage is on Android and Apple, not Windows.

Generally, full webpages are better than apps. For example Facebook and Banking apps, you have the full experience.

Trouble with lots of Android and iPad apps is a limited experience, as with banking apps, they only show a few transactions on a current account, where as the website gives full view of all accounts, emails, shares etc. But I believe Android and Apple don't have the ability to show all the webpage due to lack of flash. So they need the limited function of the apps. Windows shows flash so the full webpage is available.

So I'll stick with the 8 million apps and full webpage experience against limited apps thanks.

Last edited:

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I believe Windows has over 8 million apps. Shortage is on Android and Apple, not Windows.

Generally, full webpages are better than apps. For example Facebook and Banking apps, you have the full experience.

Trouble with lots of Android and iPad apps is a limited experience, as with banking apps, they only show a few transactions on a current account, where as the website gives full view of all accounts, emails, shares etc. But I believe Android and Apple don't have the ability to show all the webpage due to lack of flash. So they need the limited function of the apps. Windows shows flash so the full webpage is available.

So I'll stick with the 8 million apps and full webpage experience against limited apps thanks.
I'm afraid you're wrong my friend, but both iOS and Android combined don't add up to 8 million apps let alone Windows8! Apps that are well built can actually be a better experience than the website itself. Again, this applies to apps that are well developed. I'll give a quick example. There's no Sirius XM app for Windows8. So yes, I can listen to SiriusXM through the web player but guess what: I have to turn off the screen saver and keep the browser window open because if the screen saver comes on or I close the window, the player stops. Where with the app, take the TuneIn app for instance, it will continue to play regardless of saver or what window I'm looking at.

Last edited:

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I was assuming you'd be telling a flaw in Windows 8. Instead, you blame Microsoft for other companies not making apps. There's nothing they can do about it.

I do agree with you and disagree as well. There is nothing Microsoft can do about people not making apps but it's Microsoft's problem because they are taking the blame and are not gaining market share

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
In the low marketshare and developing countries, yes. Not in the US or the flagship devices many look for.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

Advicedog_goalpost.jpg

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the quality in Windows 8 apps leaves a lot to be desired. I guess that's part of the reason I've not yet sprung for an RT. Every PC I use regularly has Windows 8 or 8.1, and there's not a single app I use from the Store. I always install the legacy app or use the browser.

One example is the MLB app. Last season MLB released an app for Windows 8 before they released the WP8 app. I installed the Windows app. It worked fine. I have an MLB.tv account, and I could live stream games without a problem. But, I soon discovered that there was no way to adjust the volume in the app. Yes, I know I can use the keyboard volume control, but often I also use the volume in the app or web app I'm using to make it louder or quieter than just the PC's volume. I removed the app and continued to watch games in the browser.

mrappbrain

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid you're wrong my friend, but both iOS and Android combined don't add up to 8 million apps let alone Windows8! Apps that are well built can actually be a better experience than the website itself. Again, this applies to apps that are well developed. I'll give a quick example. There's no Sirius XM app for Windows8. So yes, I can listen to SiriusXM through the web player but guess what: I have to turn off the screen saver and keep the browser window open because if the screen saver comes on or I close the window, the player stops. Where with the app, take the TuneIn app for instance, it will continue to play regardless of saver or what window I'm looking at.

I believe you didn't get it. Windows 8 runs full fledged programs( apps). There are more than 8 million of em.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
That is comparing apples to oranges. Legacy programs and apps are different things.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Lol. Don't tell anyone but apps are programs. Apps is just a fancy new word. Apps just tend be a little lighter and simple. Still a program. Smh.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Lol. Don't tell anyone but apps are programs. Apps is just a fancy new word. Apps just tend be a little lighter and simple. Still a program. Smh.

I know that. What I mean is that if we're going to compare "App" stores by definition you're not including full fledged programs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Good that i did not buy Surface RT because i would throw it out the window. I am surprised and buffed that company of Microsoft magnitude and resources cannot get this done the way it should. This also shows that there was no long term cohesive strategy for the company. When can i get all these apps on my lenovo with windows 8 and what is the hold up there really ? why is this such a big deal for microsoft to unify both platforms ?

Could you get one and calm yourself? I'm typing this out on my Surface RT running 8.1 on it's Type Keyboard (that is also a screen protector), and I'd love to see how it'd fare that fall (it has to be greater than 2 stories please... no "I threw it out of my downstairs living room" scheme, just won't do). OH! YouTube it too! I want to see if how the damage is. You know, throw your Lenovo Yoga 11s also, see which one takes it better. THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234