Microsoft Windows 8 sucks and here is why...

Status
Not open for further replies.

omi205

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't consider WP8 and W8 as the same. Just as one wouldn't consider OSX (or whatever OS apple is on now) to IOS. They may be similar in some ways but definitely not the same. So to compare them directly is not a fair. They are different in many ways. Personally I would not use a full blown OS (such as W8) for app usage. It just doesn't make sense and loses the main purpose of the device. I would use it for programs (getting work done) and web browsing. This is where I think your problem is. You are using the computer OS (W8) as though it is a mobile OS (WP8). It surprises me though that you would rather use the app (on a computer) rather then the actual website.

I will agree that MS does need work in the app department (for WP8 devices) but as others have said they can only be accountable for so much. Things like this grow with time. Developers go where the users are and it saddens me to say it but WP8 doesn't have the users to harvest many developers. But I am certain that this will come with time. On a brighter note their are many substitute apps to use in the meantime.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Back to the OP. I wouldn't say there isn't a long term cohesive strategy. There is no way to know for sure unless you are the one making the plans. But from what I can see they are heading to One OS that does it all. Which I believe is the future and many others should start thinking that. I see one OS that knows what environment it is on. It knows how to adapt to that environment. It can switch between that environment and another just by how you use it or tell it. The apps will also be able to know the difference. And will also switch between environments. Code apps once and give them ability to adapt between environments. Less development more coverage across devices. That's what the future should be. And that's where I see windows 8 heading it is my opinion of course. Don't say there isn't a cohesive plan because from what I have seen they have one and are working towards it.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
There are supposedly plans to unify the marketplaces. I think that would be great!! There are a few games I think I would like to cross over. But, I'm thinking MS hit a great sweet spot with W8.1.

I have a Lenovo Flex 10 a desktop both running W8.1. I use apps for mail and for many things (read content consumption) I prefer the Metro version of IE. I also like the touch optimized games in Metro on my Flex 10.

For music streaming services, use the desktop IE. It should keep playing no matter what, unless you stop it.

On my Lenovo, I really enjoy being able to switch between the touch/play interface over to the desktop for Office, AutoCAD, Photoshop, Fruity Loops, etc.. I wouldn't want those things with touch anyway.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Just bear in mind that it was fairly recent that the Windows Phone group was put in charge of all OS development and Microsoft. Looking at Windows 8.1 Update 1, it seems as though Microsoft's now taking a different approach to Windows than what Windows 8 originally laid out.

Here are my guesses as to what we can look forward to:

1. The Metro environment is going to be retired in favour of something more directly based on Windows Phone. In turn, Windows Phone is going to be upgraded with some useful features and elements of Windows RT. In other words, convergence between phone and tablet apps. Some of the underlying essentials are already present, e.g. scaling apps well across multiple screen-sizes.

2. The desktop environment will continue and see some upgrades and changes.

3. There'll be a very clear demarcation between 'tablet' and 'desktop' modes moving forward. In other words, they will be two completely separate environments with no need to rely on one (e.g. tablet) in order to do something on the other. It's plausible that we will see non-touch PCs with the 'tablet' mode completely disabled or even removed, and vice-versa, i.e. tablets with no desktop.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The Metro/Touch/Tablet environment is already based on WP, going back to WP7. W8.1 runs all WinRT apps as it is. I would like to awesome things from RT come to WP, snapping apps, better Office, etc. Combining the Stores would be awesome though, as I already said.

The Desktop will always always get updates, such is the nature of the biz.

Tablet and desktop are already very clearly defined IMO. There already is no need to rely on one to perform functions in the other. There are already options to have your machine boot directly into Desktop so you never see the Metro Start screen. Although, IMO W8.1 Metro works very well on my desktop with keyboard and mouse.

Consumers/users who puchase tablets running full Windows NEED the complete desktop environment. Otherwise, we already have WinRT for straight Tablet (read iPad, GalaxyTab) functionality. But a W8.1 machine gives you that great "touchiness", AND allows you to attach a keyboard/mouse or just flip out the keyboard (in the case of my Flex 10), or even place in a dock to act as/replace the traditional desktop, letting us really delve into the full spectrum of computing functionality whilst also allowing the portability & mobility that's required, nay desired, with today's computing needs. There is already a "clear demarcation", as you put it.

I will say that there is an issue with, or lack of, user education on just how everything works. It really is so simple, its almost ridiculous that some people just can't get it.

Mark Eggleston

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
My Nokia 2520 is immune to viruses (so far). I like modern interface. I don't want a 3rd party browser, iTunes is useless to me since I have a Nokia 1520 Windows phone with Pandora and Nokia music.

I certainly don't want any open source on my tablet.

and I don't want the desktop! I have that at home, on the i7 PC with Windows 8.1.

I bring my tablet to work and the IT dept loves it because they can integrate it with Exchange and other Microsoft Servers. They are even building a custom modern interface CRM app for our sales team.

with "mouse without borders" I can share my mouse and ergo keyboard across the desktop and the tablet. (not that I really use a mouse much on the tablet)

I have 10 hour battery life, and it gets to 80% charge in less than an hour. With NFC, USB, LTE, Bluetooth, WIFI, HDMI and SD I'm all set!

lets move toward the future

not put the "desktop" on a tablet.
I can wait until 2019 when they unify platforms. As long as I'm using OneDrive, everything syncs up fine.

Also, it was just announced today that the SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I Card works in the tablet!!
nokia_lumia_2520-5.jpg

Last edited:

NokiaFanAWP

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Always such negative attacking replies to questions and opinions. Always defending the Mega companies for stuff that should have been on the devices in the first place without having to rely on other "sources" to TRY their apps in wp8. The person who started this thread is just unhappy about the MANY failed apps in the store, always asking for ratings BEFORE u have even tried to use it. Yes there are some really brilliant apps in the store like 6Tag, Fotor, Minion Rush etc., but then there's apps that are just mediocre. I mean for %$@# sake, things like speeddial should be a no brainer when deciding if it should come standard in a smartphone in this day and age, but yet u need to download RapDialer to be able to speeddial and then RapDialer can't speeddial when service codes like *number*cellnumbr# (for please call me services in S.A) are used.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I'll tell you what W8.1 has that no other OS have, specially the tablet side of Windows 8.1 RT. which helps a lost when it comes to apps.

It has a beast called IE11, although you might say who the hell uses IE, well it can easily eat Safari and that weird thing on android, for breakfast. Please lets not forget flash. I play candy crush on my surface 2. Yeah on the browser, not because I like the game, just because I can. Using internet browsers on a Samsung tab or a iPad is just pain represented in HTML format.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Tablet and desktop are already very clearly defined IMO. There already is no need to rely on one to perform functions in the other. There are already options to have your machine boot directly into Desktop so you never see the Metro Start screen. Although, IMO W8.1 Metro works very well on my desktop with keyboard and mouse.

Yes it's easy to tell which mode you're in, but there's still a lot of jumping back and forth. It can be rather jolting & confusing. For example, to close an app, you need to switch from clicking the red X to dragging down.

mrappbrain

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
That is comparing apples to oranges. Legacy programs and apps are different things.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

More like comparing a smartphone to a pc. Why use an image editor app when you can use Photoshop? This was just an example. You can keep calling programs 'legacy', but they tend to be better than apps, much better. Try comparing a mobile game or app, for example, DH4 to Diablo 3 and you'll see what I mean.

bitek

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
It looks like you may be new to the Windows platform. "Windows Mobile" terminology went out years ago. Now it is simply Windows Phone 8 or WP8.

I am not new to Windows. I always had a PC

I was assuming you'd be telling a flaw in Windows 8. Instead, you blame Microsoft for other companies not making apps. There's nothing they can do about it.

This might sound like flame bait but Microsoft is doing exceptionally poor job. I own Blackberry phone and Blackberry is doing far superior job in bringing apps. Microsoft has so much money and leverage that there is no excuse for Microsoft. Overall my beef is not about lack of apps on Windows Mobile but rather on Windows 8.

Could you get one and calm yourself? I'm typing this out on my Surface RT running 8.1 on it's Type Keyboard (that is also a screen protector), and I'd love to see how it'd fare that fall (it has to be greater than 2 stories please... no "I threw it out of my downstairs living room" scheme, just won't do). OH! YouTube it too! I want to see if how the damage is. You know, throw your Lenovo Yoga 11s also, see which one takes it better. THANKS!
I am perfectly happy with Yoga. Yoga is far better device than Surface RT. Surface RT is far too limited device.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
More like comparing a smartphone to a pc. Why use an image editor app when you can use Photoshop? This was just an example. You can keep calling programs 'legacy', but they tend to be better than apps, much better. Try comparing a mobile game or app, for example, DH4 to Diablo 3 and you'll see what I mean.
Once again you're missing my point. No one is making the argument that full fledged programs are not better than apps, of course they are! This thread began with the OP's frustration regarding the lack of "Apps" and in some instances the lousy quality of such apps in the Windows8.1 store, not programs!!!! Amazing to see how threads go off the rails so quickly and easily in these forums!!!!!

BDub0817

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Why would you want to install an app on your Windows Laptop when from the web you get the full experience? Understand that instagram ,tumblr etc. etc. etc. all have full featured websites. The purpose for the Apps are to allow a limited mobile device access to those sites with limited targeted functionality. So explain why your PC needs an app when the fully functioning website is available? One of the biggest issues about complaints on these sites is that a large segment do not fully understand the functionality of the devices they own.
I own Lenovo Yoga 11s. Love the laptop and I think Windows 8 is best Windows to date (for touchscreen devices). So why my negative title then. Because Windows 8 sucks or rather how Microsoft is handling Windows Mobile 8 and Windows 8 situation. It is absolutely frustrating to see all those cool apps coming to Windows Mobile 8 and then I go to Windows store on my laptop and with few exceptions there is absolute and utter garbage there. It feels like Windows 8 store is place where student programmers send their "homework" for us to rate or something. I cannot get so many apps that are available for Windows Mobile 8. No official instangram no official tumblr etc. etc. etc. this totally sucks. Good that i did not buy Surface RT because i would throw it out the window. I am surprised and buffed that company of Microsoft magnitude and resources cannot get this done the way it should. This also shows that there was no long term cohesive strategy for the company. When can i get all these apps on my lenovo with windows 8 and what is the hold up there really ? why is this such a big deal for microsoft to unify both platforms ?

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid you're wrong my friend, but both iOS and Android combined don't add up to 8 million apps let alone Windows8! Apps that are well built can actually be a better experience than the website itself. Again, this applies to apps that are well developed. I'll give a quick example. There's no Sirius XM app for Windows8. So yes, I can listen to SiriusXM through the web player but guess what: I have to turn off the screen saver and keep the browser window open because if the screen saver comes on or I close the window, the player stops. Where with the app, take the TuneIn app for instance, it will continue to play regardless of saver or what window I'm looking at.

Apps = Applications.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNu1ud42Ktc

BDub0817

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
You realize the Yoga can do that also. It runs Windows 8.1 as well. I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate with Windows 8.1 on it and I do the same things shown in the Youube video. I actually point customers to this YouTube Video so that they can see what can be done on any Windows 8.1 devices with the correct hardware. Remember Surface a "Brand", the functionality is in Windows 8.1 and RT 8.1 .

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Go to a website that doesn't have an app for W8, pin it to your start screen, name it whatever you want and VIOLA!.....instant official app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss