Microsoft Windows 8 sucks and here is why...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes it's easy to tell which mode you're in, but there's still a lot of jumping back and forth. It can be rather jolting & confusing. For example, to close an app, you need to switch from clicking the red X to dragging down.

I think the dragging down is more instinctive than confusing. Some people just don't like to change the way they do things. I have a 3 and 2 year old running around here, and they know to close an app to drag down. They can cruise through the phones and tablets with ease. It's quite instinctive for them. Whereas I don't think the clicking on a red x would be near as easy for them.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This thread sucks and here's why....

Comparing Windows 8 (a full desktop OS) to Windows Phone 8 (a mobile OS) is patently absurd. Apple OSX and iOS are completely different as is Google Android yet this thread does not call them out for it. Shoot, Android doesn't even have a desktop OS to compare!

Mods, do your thing.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Let's keep it civil and try to refrain from any personal attacks. Perhaps a less polarizing or misleading title would help. Anyway, please try to contribute without breaking any rules from this point on or the thread will be closed quickly.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Just bear in mind that it was fairly recent that the Windows Phone group was put in charge of all OS development and Microsoft. Looking at Windows 8.1 Update 1, it seems as though Microsoft's now taking a different approach to Windows than what Windows 8 originally laid out.

Here are my guesses as to what we can look forward to:

1. The Metro environment is going to be retired in favour of something more directly based on Windows Phone. In turn, Windows Phone is going to be upgraded with some useful features and elements of Windows RT. In other words, convergence between phone and tablet apps. Some of the underlying essentials are already present, e.g. scaling apps well across multiple screen-sizes.

2. The desktop environment will continue and see some upgrades and changes.

3. There'll be a very clear demarcation between 'tablet' and 'desktop' modes moving forward. In other words, they will be two completely separate environments with no need to rely on one (e.g. tablet) in order to do something on the other. It's plausible that we will see non-touch PCs with the 'tablet' mode completely disabled or even removed, and vice-versa, i.e. tablets with no desktop.

The Metro UI Is pretty much the same one that's on WP, just updated a little.

Always such negative attacking replies to questions and opinions. Always defending the Mega companies for stuff that should have been on the devices in the first place without having to rely on other "sources" to TRY their apps in wp8. The person who started this thread is just unhappy about the MANY failed apps in the store, always asking for ratings BEFORE u have even tried to use it. Yes there are some really brilliant apps in the store like 6Tag, Fotor, Minion Rush etc., but then there's apps that are just mediocre. I mean for %$@# sake, things like speeddial should be a no brainer when deciding if it should come standard in a smartphone in this day and age, but yet u need to download RapDialer to be able to speeddial and then RapDialer can't speeddial when service codes like *number*cellnumbr# (for please call me services in S.A) are used.

I'm sorry it doesn't have a feature you want it to have. Also, there's a difference between being upset and casting blame where it doesn't belong.

I am not new to Windows. I always had a PC

This might sound like flame bait but Microsoft is doing exceptionally poor job. I own Blackberry phone and Blackberry is doing far superior job in bringing apps. Microsoft has so much money and leverage that there is no excuse for Microsoft. Overall my beef is not about lack of apps on Windows Mobile but rather on Windows 8.

I am perfectly happy with Yoga. Yoga is far better device than Surface RT. Surface RT is far too limited device.

Blackberry is doing better despite having fewer applications in their store?

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Was that supposed to add up to 8 million? If so, they've come a long way since January 2014:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lIHgBw&usg=AFQjCNEz0JA4qUcM6-7NauokkdNNrHvPFQ

I think the difference here is that, the number in the video is for Full Windows 8.1 apps in the Store, meaning they can be either for desktop or the start screen (though most likely for start-screen and optimized in Modern design), and are x86 programs. The other number in the link you listed is for the Modern apps, which only works for RT and tablets with ARM chips. The OP has a full Windows 8.1 machine, he has access to the 8 million apps.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't know what you're going on about dude, but the Microsoft device eco system is the most fluid, innovative and consistent system out there. The "problems" you have pointed out are developers, not Microsoft. Stop moaning and just enjoy it.

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
In the low marketshare and developing countries, yes. Not in the US or the flagship devices many look for.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

I do believe that WP has gone over 10% market share in European countries, and has overtaken iPhone in a market or two.

Not massive sales, yet, but I believe WP has over 50 million users and I look forward to the 8.1 update and see their market share continuing to grow.

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nokia 920, a Nokia 1520, a Nokia 2520 and use Windows 8.1 on my four laptops and single desk top. I am totally happen with every app from each. As a matter of fact I am head over heals in love with every single program and app from Microsoft. There, I have said it, and I don't regret it one byte.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Don't know what you're going on about dude, but the Microsoft device eco system is the most fluid, innovative and consistent system out there. The "problems" you have pointed out are developers, not Microsoft. Stop moaning and just enjoy it.

You guys are missing the point. iOS development allows you to cross compile for all ipads and iphones. Make an app for one, and it's available on the other. Sure Windows has 8 million programs that you can use on the desktop, but they suck for touch/tablets. It was Microsoft's idea to unify all 3 screens, so their app store should be one for 8/RT/WP8. Obviously Microsoft is now slowly slowly moving forward with this in WP8.1/Threshold. But I think the OP's point is that Microsoft is being too slow about this. Looks like it'll be another 2 years before they get the app stores unified. That was a developer only has to make an app for one and it'll work across all 3, aside from basic UI changes.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You guys are missing the point. iOS development allows you to cross compile for all ipads and iphones. Make an app for one, and it's available on the other. Sure Windows has 8 million programs that you can use on the desktop, but they suck for touch/tablets. It was Microsoft's idea to unify all 3 screens, so their app store should be one for 8/RT/WP8. Obviously Microsoft is now slowly slowly moving forward with this in WP8.1/Threshold. But I think the OP's point is that Microsoft is being too slow about this. Looks like it'll be another 2 years before they get the app stores unified. That was a developer only has to make an app for one and it'll work across all 3, aside from basic UI changes.

I think the problem is that MS grouped "tablet" with desktop rather than with phone. They try to advertise/promote/develop it as your everyday powerful PC, but in reality the tablets are not even as well-designed as WP8. I agree that Windows RT is not a smart idea and only caters to a very niche market (sad, because I lined up on launch day in NYC to get a Surface RT), but since OP has a full Windows 8.1, he should have plenty of options that can make his user experience better. As for the specific app quality problem, developers don't see the need to design an "app" when you have a desktop, hence the lack of quality. For less powerful platforms like iOS, apps are essential for the user(so more willingness for users to pay money to developers), so more effort is put in from developers to make up for the weakness in OS itself, making the whole platform actually stronger in many aspects.

There is actually also an app store for Mac computers, but its popularity is not much different from the RT/Windows App Store.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem is that MS grouped "tablet" with desktop rather than with phone. They try to advertise/promote/develop it as your everyday powerful PC, but in reality the tablets are not even as well-designed as WP8. I agree that Windows RT is not a smart idea and only caters to a very niche market (sad, because I lined up on launch day in NYC to get a Surface RT), but since OP has a full Windows 8.1, he should have plenty of options that can make his user experience better. As for the specific app quality problem, developers don't see the need to design an "app" when you have a desktop, hence the lack of quality. For less powerful platforms like iOS, apps are essential for the user(so more willingness for users to pay money to developers), so more effort is put in from developers to make up for the weakness in OS itself, making the whole platform actually stronger in many aspects.

There is actually also an app store for Mac computers, but its popularity is not much different from the RT/Windows App Store.

I wouldn't insult the Windows App Store like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte