Article: Why MS releases apps and updates first on other platforms

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am hoping the OS team advances faster. It is absurd that they have to wait for an API to be created. Microsoft is a very innovative company. They should be innovating in the OS space instead of being behind. Windows is their bread and butter.

Sent from LG G2 on T-Mobile. come on T-Mobile get a flagship Windows Phone!!!!!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I am hoping the OS team advances faster. It is absurd that they have to wait for an API to be created. Microsoft is a very innovative company. They should be innovating in the OS space instead of being behind. Windows is their bread and butter.

Apparently its the enterprise and office side that're now their big earners, maybe that's why they don't give a toss about Windows anymore.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
This, coupled with the recent dev rant on twitter, does not paint a good picture for MS' dev support.

Hopefully this problem will be solved with WP8.1.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that we'll have to wait until the Threshold update before most of these issues are resolved. 8.1 should help, but I question if it'll be enough.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

Windows is, Windows Phone is not.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Apparently its the enterprise and office side that're now their big earners, maybe that's why they don't give a toss about Windows anymore.

Windows is also a big earner. I wonder how Microsoft's recent cuts in Windows fees for some OEMs & also the free OneNote will affect the bottom line. The reduction in WP fees will probably not make an appreciable difference, since numbers are low anyway. The cuts were necessary to compete, but where is Microsoft going to make up the difference? Either the product needs to be miles ahead of the competition to be worth paying more for it, or they will need to turn to advertising or something. Ha, that would make Microsoft "Google II"!

In the business world the Office suite is still much better suited than either Apple's or Google's products. I'm no Microsoft ******, but I use Excel extensively for work, and I'll defend it to my last breath. For the average consumer though, Office is an overkill. Apple's & Google's offerings are sufficient. My opinion is that Microsoft should focus on enterprise, the cloud, and Windows, and leave the other areas such as mobile to someone else.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how much of this is about APIs, and how much is about market share. In big companies, individual divisions often make decisions based on their own bottom line rather than considering the big picture. In fact, this is pretty much essential. If a company ties all of its divisions too closely together, they tend to be only as strong as the weakest division, and the whole company becomes simply too big to effectively manage.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I wonder how much of this is about APIs, and how much is about market share.

I think it's some of both. Microsoft themselves for example have better apps on iOS & Android than on WP. I realize that they also are a for profit business and need to cater to the market, but I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't make apps for their own platform better if they could. I wouldn't be surprised that it's not even possible without changes to the core OS.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I could see them holding out the "other" OS's release till after they release to WIndows/Phone but, it seems they are shooting themself in the foot or that is how I see it.

As the advange to Windows Phone (and was for Windows Mobile) is to get office built in and Xbox on your phone, but, if you can get Office for other platforms and they dont really support Xbox any more (less and less devs use it) Is there ANY extra advange to geting a Windows Phone device vs Android or iOS ?

You can get more apps and programs on the other platforms and you can get MOST of the exclusive Microsoft apps on them too.... FAIL Windows Phone

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
As the advange to Windows Phone (and was for Windows Mobile) is to get office built in and Xbox on your phone, but, if you can get Office for other platforms and they dont really support Xbox any more (less and less devs use it) Is there ANY extra advange to geting a Windows Phone device vs Android or iOS ?

Are exclusive Microsoft applications and services the only worthwhile feature of Windows Phone? Is it otherwise SO unattractive that there's no reason to buy it instead of iOS or Android? That's a very negative judgement on Windows Phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Are exclusive Microsoft applications and services the only worthwhile feature of Windows Phone? Is it otherwise SO unattractive that there's no reason to buy it instead of iOS or Android? That's a very negative judgement on Windows Phone.

I agree with you. I don't even use Xbox (Windows Phone version, console version or Windows 8.1 version) and I probably only used Office 5 times in almost 2 years on my phones. I didn't choose Windows Phone for Xbox or Office, but it has a lot of other features I find attractive.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I think the word "unattractive" is a little strong and I don't believe he was implying that at all. There are apps and features on other platforms that set them apart, but with Windows Phone that's not so much the case as illustrated by the article linked to by the OP. It really seems to depend on what interface you favor (i.e. live tiles, etc), otherwise there really isn't a whole lot to set it apart .

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I think the word "unattractive" is a little strong and I don't believe he was implying that at all. There are apps and features on other platforms that set them apart, but with Windows Phone that's not so much the case as illustrated by the article linked to by the OP. It really seems to depend on what interface you favor (i.e. live tiles, etc), otherwise there really isn't a whole lot to set it apart .

If that's the case (which I don't think it is - see e.g. post 15 above), then Microsoft should give up on Windows Phone now. In fact, as you say, the user interface is one distinguishing feature of Windows Phone. Whether it's a significant enough advantage, or an advantage at all, will depend on each person's individual judgement.

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Such a depressing thread. I hope Microsoft doesn't drop the Windows Phone.
Will the 8.1 update help, as far as new apps or APIs for the phone?
Would it be that easy to just drop the Windows Phone from MS's line-up?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)