114 ... 345
tools
    Very timely in light of the topic and well worth a read:

http://windowsitpro.com/mobile/case-wearable-devices

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    03-26-2014 09:04 PM
    Very timely in light of the topic and well worth a read:

The Case for Wearable Devices | Mobile content from Windows IT Pro
    Interesting article, although it fails to mention that Microsoft were certainly not the only major company working on wearable devices ten years ago and more.
    I remain sceptical whether there will really be much demand for wearable devices (but I was also sceptical about the iPad, and I now own one and like it very much). I do think Microsoft need to adopt a vastly more flexible approach and create a platform that others can take and use in whatever devices they can dream up. It is a big mistake to believe that any one company has all the answers - including Microsoft. Google's approach with AOSP, which anyone can take and adopt however they like, allows others to innovate and test the market - and creates a route for Google to later offer offical Android versions on successful device types.
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 03-28-2014 at 06:12 AM.
    03-27-2014 11:09 AM
    Interesting article, although it fails to mention that Microsoft were certainly not the only major company working on wearable devices ten years ago and more.
    Which kind of stands to reason being that Thurrott writes and reports with a focus on Microsoft.
    03-27-2014 12:48 PM
    Which kind of stands to reason being that Thurrott writes and reports with a focus on Microsoft.
    To be honest, that wasn't the part of my post I hoped people would comment on. Please forget I said it.
    03-27-2014 05:29 PM
    They had a smartphone too. Problem is, they couldn't put all of those things in a user-friendly package with a pretty bow on it and so they failed. It took them so long to learn, and as a result they missed the smartphone train even though they were there since the start, they missed the tablet train even though they released one in 2002, and they might do the same with the smartwatch.

Microsoft is not a good marketing company. That has hurt them badly in many areas. Apple is an amazing marketing machine, they have a way of convincing millions of people you can't live without their product. If MS could get their marketing together they'd be much better off.
    03-30-2014 10:28 AM
    Microsoft is not a good marketing company. That has hurt them badly in many areas. Apple is an amazing marketing machine, they have a way of convincing millions of people you can't live without their product. If MS could get their marketing together they'd be much better off.
    No Apple has that cult word of mouth thing. There is millions of people with iPhones who praise Apples products to anyone who does not have any. Plus humans have that natural instinct to want to fit in with others when all their friends and/or family has an apple product.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    03-30-2014 11:21 AM
    Agree with OP, MS really needs to step up their game. Sure if you live in the U.S some people might know about WP or love it. In other countries, I have never seen one person use WP (only me) and they kept asking me what that phone is. If I answered Windows Phone, they would have a confused look, but if I said Nokia they would understand then. WP's influence in other countries is not as strong, and they need to make a major big hit happen to garner the media's attention so Microsoft could get back in the game.

I really love Microsoft, but they're a bit slow in the things they do eh?
    03-30-2014 11:59 AM
    Agree with OP, MS really needs to step up their game. Sure if you live in the U.S some people might know about WP or love it. In other countries, I have never seen one person use WP (only me) and they kept asking me what that phone is. If I answered Windows Phone, they would have a confused look, but if I said Nokia they would understand then. WP's influence in other countries is not as strong, and they need to make a major big hit happen to garner the media's attention so Microsoft could get back in the game.

I really love Microsoft, but they're a bit slow in the things they do eh?
    Actually Windows Phone are a lot more popular in many countries other than the US, especially in Italy, UK and India.
    psychotron, BIGPADDY and A895 like this.
    03-30-2014 12:09 PM
    Actually Windows Phone are a lot more popular in many countries other than the US, especially in Italy, UK and India.
    100% fact.
    03-30-2014 01:18 PM
    No Apple has that cult word of mouth thing. There is millions of people with iPhones who praise Apples products to anyone who does not have any. Plus humans have that natural instinct to want to fit in with others when all their friends and/or family has an apple product.

Because in the beginning Apple had a way of convincing you that you need this.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X
    03-30-2014 03:39 PM

They made smart phones more mass market so to use apple products does not need much convincing.

03-30-2014 03:41 PM

so does that mean if Microsoft advertise WP better than it might convince More people to buy it?
    04-05-2014 03:43 PM
    so does that mean if Microsoft advertise WP better than it might convince More people to buy it?
    It just might. They need to highlight the best parts of it.

04-05-2014 06:12 PM
    Marketing is more important than the actual product being marketed (to a point of course).
    Kashan Osama and colinkiama like this.
    04-05-2014 08:26 PM
114 ... 345