Microsoft really needs to step up

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Google hangouts vs Skype, google play vs windows phone store xbox music vs play music play games vs xbox live google vs bing. Microsoft are directly competing with google. Google are taking over. They even have google + which competes with twitter & Facebook. I don't think Microsoft need to catch up, i think they need to over take, dominate, innovate. Playing catch up is not enough.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, you're right. I'm just thinking that Microsoft banked a bit too much on Windows, and as such, under Satya Nadella, are shifting to an OS-agnostic focus.

If you don't understand what I mean, that means they're focusing on improving the online experience.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Is it just me, but i see more and more "flame" topics lately.
If you dont like the ecosystem than go find a other one
I am not a fan of any OS, but it gives what i need.
Its just a Phone, if i want a watch i buy a seiko
I dont want to walk around al wiredup like somekind of a puppet on a string.

Inovation does not mean that you have to push every new thingy on the market.
How many Droid phones has failed over the years?
Look in al the other fora, problems all over.
Not only Droid, Ios also...........just like WP, and is it not the OS then its the hardware.
There is no holy grail.

All these inapp chatsapps are hardly used.
Most people hang on what they are used to.
Here its Whatsapp, Telegram, Viber.................
Microsoft had Messenger, and i due believe that they abandend it.......i am not sure about that.
The mainstream uses thirdparty apps
So why reinventing the wheel if people not going to use them.

MS has a firm grip on the market with the Windows Operating systems.
Ofcourse with ups and downs, but stil its never defeated.

I crossed over because i was curious and i was tired of bughunting, trying make my expencive phone work like i wanted to.
No suddent reboots or forced closings, and tried different roms to make it my own.
Its fun to do, but if i buy something, it should work right out of the box without tweaking.
Nokia has a little cheap phone called 520, even with the low specs it works great and snappy.
Try that with a droid phone with the same specs or price.
Cant speak for Apples ios, they dont have a real budgetline...........not for my wallet.
And i dont like the ecosystem of Apple, but that does not mean that it is not good, i just dont like it.
Besides that, i dont want to give more then 300,- max for a phone, i got other hobbys.
I bought a 1320 for 170?, thats about 230$ give or take, i find that pretty expensive ( oke it came with a leather flipcover, otherwise it whas a complete ripoff ).

There is no road on the tech field that MS havend drove already.
They had smartphones/pocketpc's, smartwatches, tablets long before al these others.
I had once at my job a pannel with XP embedded, dont know the brand.
I remember a docu with Gates about MS and the house of the future, wel thats inovation.
Apple was just started and Google ???????? a couple of nosepicking teenagers on a schoolyard.

So if you dont like the MS ecosystem or the way its going, then there are planty of others.

Amen

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me, but i see more and more "flame" topics lately.
If you dont like the ecosystem than go find a other one
<snipped out>
So if you dont like the MS ecosystem or the way its going, then there are planty of others.

Amen

Lol
Pretty good actually read yer whole posting and enjoyed it.

arifdanials

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Google hangouts vs Skype, google play vs windows phone store xbox music vs play music play games vs xbox live google vs bing. Microsoft are directly competing with google. Google are taking over. They even have google + which competes with twitter & Facebook. I don't think Microsoft need to catch up, i think they need to over take, dominate, innovate. Playing catch up is not enough.
I'm pretty sure more consumers and developers will be interested in Windows Phone 8.1 that is soon will be announced at or after build 2014.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the OP has a point. When it comes to a lot of services, google makes good, free services. Their music service blows Xbox Music out of the water. MS needs to make their services cohesive and their apps need to have permission to hook into the deep levels of the OS.

Take Onedrive as an example. I should be able to stream music from OneDrive just like I would from Xbox music.

I will say Xbox live is where they excel, but that's going to die to steam soon.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't really matter here in India considering the music service which I can actually use to an extent is Nokia Mixradio on the phone and Accuradio on the laptop. Everything else is Us centric.

Other than that, Bing services aren't entirely available here. Skype is good. We use viber and whatsapp.

Even iTunes radio ain't available here.

It doesn't even matter. Regardless of the Os chosen, if you ain't from the west, you don't get the best.

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
These comments make me laugh too. Sure half of them are written by ADdroid or iSheep fans feeling insecure.

WP will continue to innovate and improve so helping market share. Some won't like WP and move, just as I have no desire to use anything other than WP. But if say iPhone is so amazing and has every app available, why does it have only 19% worldwide market share? So people are choosing smartphones for different reasons, not purely on the number of apps or latest technology alone.

WP has a solid base of fans and a secure and reliable OS. Once future updates and new devices are released this will encourage new users. So Microsoft IS doing more than catch up, but in a logical and planned manor. Google is the best seller at the moment, but beware as Nokia and Blackberry were once, so Google is the one that desperately needs to step up the pace as one mistake could knock them off their perch.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I've often thought of posting threads like this but always stop myself - there are too many fanboys on these forums that blindly think Microsoft can do no wrong. I love my 920, Surface, Windows 8.1 desktop, and Xbox 360... but I agree with the OP, MS always seems to be playing catchup.

For instance, I'm as excited about WP 8.1 as anyone else. It's looking to be an enormous update. But it makes me realize how lackluster an update WP8 was. Cortana will come out 2 YEARS after Google Now, and even longer after Siri. Notification center has been in Android forever, and even Apple adopted it 2 and a half years ago.

Now we're heading into the era of wearable devices, and look at all the great press Google gets for their Android Wear initiative. Wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft were the one to introduce the world to wearbles on a wide scale? Even services like Xbox Music... nobody has any idea that they exist. Which, by the way, makes no sense considering they're trying to be a devices and services company. They should be advertising these things like crazy. I saw these short and sweet ads playing after the Superbowl for Google Play music, and books, and video. I have literally never seen a commercial for any of Microsoft's entertainment services.

None of this is to say MS makes crappy products and has crappy services - they're for the most part really good. The trouble is that the competition is also really good, and MS is NEVER the one to lead the charge.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
These comments make me laugh too. Sure half of them are written by ADdroid or iSheep fans feeling insecure.

WP will continue to innovate and improve so helping market share. Some won't like WP and move, just as I have no desire to use anything other than WP. But if say iPhone is so amazing and has every app available, why does it have only 19% worldwide market share? So people are choosing smartphones for different reasons, not purely on the number of apps or latest technology alone.

WP has a solid base of fans and a secure and reliable OS. Once future updates and new devices are released this will encourage new users. So Microsoft IS doing more than catch up, but in a logical and planned manor. Google is the best seller at the moment, but beware as Nokia and Blackberry were once, so Google is the one that desperately needs to step up the pace as one mistake could knock them off their perch.

You sir, have told the truth. People have the freedom to chose whatever they want.

Like they say, Marsellus Wallace said,Pride only hurts.

And as we know, sometimes you fly high, and sometimes you fall down.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I've often thought of posting threads like this but always stop myself - there are too many fanboys on these forums that blindly think Microsoft can do no wrong. I love my 920, Surface, Windows 8.1 desktop, and Xbox 360... but I agree with the OP, MS always seems to be playing catchup.

For instance, I'm as excited about WP 8.1 as anyone else. It's looking to be an enormous update. But it makes me realize how lackluster an update WP8 was. Cortana will come out 2 YEARS after Google Now, and even longer after Siri. Notification center has been in Android forever, and even Apple adopted it 2 and a half years ago.

Now we're heading into the era of wearable devices, and look at all the great press Google gets for their Android Wear initiative. Wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft were the one to introduce the world to wearbles on a wide scale? Even services like Xbox Music... nobody has any idea that they exist. Which, by the way, makes no sense considering they're trying to be a devices and services company. They should be advertising these things like crazy. I saw these short and sweet ads playing after the Superbowl for Google Play music, and books, and video. I have literally never seen a commercial for any of Microsoft's entertainment services.

None of this is to say MS makes crappy products and has crappy services - they're for the most part really good. The trouble is that the competition is also really good, and MS is NEVER the one to lead the charge.

Pretty much spot on.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Aren't we mixing the hardware and the os up?
Hard to say.

Annyway, i rather see a better smartphone from Nokia/MS then a wearable.
I would like to see a water and shockproof phone for outdoors.

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Google's unveiling a smartwatch. There is rumor that apple may launch iWatch. I wonder why microsoft is always step behind those companies ??

Am I the only one who thinks that smart watches are going the way of 3D Television, massive hype saying its what everyone wants but in reality just does not sell. I have asked everyone I know if they will be buying these watches and not one person says yes, in fact most laugh at the idea.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

As an Android, iPhone and WP user I see fanbois on all sides. In some ways the microsoft supporters are pretty brutal. All the eco systems have their advantages and drawbacks. Android is not just leading, it is dominating right now. If you look at the top selling WP devices you have the 520 and 620 which are lower priced devices so not really the flagship devices. Android has such a fast update cycle on devices, it is hard to keep pace with. I am a bit surprised at the slow rate of WP adoption, especially in the US. Until WP is headed towards 10% market share, it will continue to be low priority for app devs and OEMS.

I am looking forward to see what 8.1 brings in OS and devices. Hopefully it will jumpstart some growth. So at this point, Android and iOS users really have nothing to be insecure about IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb