Microsoft really needs to step up

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that smart watches are going the way of 3D Television, massive hype saying its what everyone wants but in reality just does not sell. I have asked everyone I know if they will be buying these watches and not one person says yes, in fact most laugh at the idea.

I think the smart watches have definitely taken off and I see a lot of support for them. Would you feel the same if they worked with WP? I own a pebble and the more I use it the more I like it. There are may times when I prefer to get my notifications on my watch rather than reaching for my phone to check it. One of the sister sites to WP Central is Smartwatchfans. LG and Moto just announced devices using the android wear standard. I am looking forward to hearing more about the Moto 360! I would be interested in a WP smart watch also! And 3D TV is still around, you can just toggle it to use when you want to...at least on the newest TV I purchased. Yep, you guessed it, a SMART TV!

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
For those who may not know, I'm awaiting preorder shipment for a Kreyos Meteor which should arrive next month. Only smartwatch I'm aware of that works with WP. I'll have to do a quick compatibility review when mine shows up.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that smart watches are going the way of 3D Television, massive hype saying its what everyone wants but in reality just does not sell. I have asked everyone I know if they will be buying these watches and not one person says yes, in fact most laugh at the idea.

I think you may be very much in the minority. Like it or not, wearable tech is becoming a very hot item, in a way that 3D TV never did. I also think that's kind of a poor analogy because 3D TV was pushed by the industry and never got traction, whereas smartwatches are growing in popularity on their own merit. I believe this is a market segment that MS won't be able to ignore much longer

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the OP. Microsoft is playing catch up, which is never a good position. But, they have some good products and managed to get a good fan base. It also helps that OneDrive and Outlook act as the backbone to all their services. I have two Outlook accounts. One is for my Xbox Live the other is for my Microsoft Services (I tried joining the two together but, that's a different story) which I use all the time. I have a OneDrive with 10GB of storage that I use for all my backups and I use Outlook extensively for my personal email. My only problem is that WP8 is having a hard time coming up in features. I really want to try WP but it is just lacking. The 30 min limit on background apps, the "other storage" problem and lack of a notification center is off putting. Add on the fact that WP is last priority or not a priority at all when it comes to the big names in apps and it is turn off for many. I do have to say I applaud them for putting optimization and speed as a priority in the OS first. It allows low end devices to shine such as the Lumia 520. I hope that WP8.1 fixes a lot of problems but until then I can only say I will continue to be a Microsoft services supporter but I will continue to avoid their mobile operating system and use android instead. I also hope they do something in wearables as well, only time will supply the answers now.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I think you may be very much in the minority. Like it or not, wearable tech is becoming a very hot item,
/snips/
whereas smartwatches are growing in popularity on their own merit. I believe this is a market segment that MS won't be able to ignore much longer

Minority, i think not.
Not everyone is hooked up 24/7 on the internet and a lot uses only wifi.
So you need a seperate sim/contract or whatever for your watch or you must always carry arround your phone.
Same thing for the glasses.
I for one would feel very uncomphy when someone would glance at me with somekind of glasses.
And i can imagine that i am not the only one and that there are be a lot of places where they wil not be allowed.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Minority, i think not.
Not everyone is hooked up 24/7 on the internet and a lot uses only wifi.
So you need a seperate sim/contract or whatever for your watch or you must always carry arround your phone.
Same thing for the glasses.
I for one would feel very uncomphy when someone would glance at me with somekind of glasses.
And i can imagine that i am not the only one and that there are be a lot of places where they wil not be allowed.

Don't generalize. You may not like it but by the 400,000 Pebble smartwatches sold since last year, it shows there is definitely a market for a smartwatch. FYI, smartwatches connect to your phone through Bluetooth.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
For those who may not know, I'm awaiting preorder shipment for a Kreyos Meteor which should arrive next month. Only smartwatch I'm aware of that works with WP. I'll have to do a quick compatibility review when mine shows up.

Agent claims that their watch will work with WP but it will probably be a couple more months before we will know. If MS allowed it Pebble watch would work great with WP using my WP8 app Pebble Watch Pro. Maybe something will change in April...

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Don't generalize. You may not like it but by the 400,000 Pebble smartwatches sold since last year, it shows there is definitely a market for a smartwatch. FYI, smartwatches connect to your phone through Bluetooth.

I don't generalize, the 400.000 speaks for themselves, not mutch consider the numbers of smartphones worldwide.
Ofcourse there is a market, there is a market for everything.
It would be better if you can use it without the phone.
Droidphones are welknown to have a great appetite with powerconsumption, wat does that mean if you also going to lean on the bluetooth for a whole day.

I dont want to flame even when it looks like it, but i believe its going to be a short hype and than slowly fades away.
If they want something, than they must leave the idea of creating stuf for one particular ecosystem and make them cros/multi platform.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't generalize, the 400.000 speaks for themselves, not mutch consider the numbers of smartphones worldwide.
Droidphones are welknown to have a great appetite with powerconsumption, wat does that mean if you also going to lean on the bluetooth for a whole day.

I dont want to flame even when it looks like it, but i believe its going to be a short hype and than slowly fades away.
If they want something, than they must leave the idea of creating stuf for one particular ecosystem and make them cros/multi platform.

Are you serious? You know how long its taken to make smart phones so ubiquitous? For one smartwatch company that got its start on Kickstarter it speaks volumes how valuable a market smartwatches can be. Given the fact that Google themselves have developed and SDK and a smartwatch operating system I say smartwatches are a very big deal. This is only March of 2014 we will see a lot more smartwatches before the year is out. The smartwatch is supposed to be an extension of your phone. Using it as a standalone is not that attractive right now considering the market is calling for bigger screens, not smaller ones.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
MS had a smartwatch over a decade ago. Kinda like they've had tablets since about 2001.

They had a smartphone too. Problem is, they couldn't put all of those things in a user-friendly package with a pretty bow on it and so they failed. It took them so long to learn, and as a result they missed the smartphone train even though they were there since the start, they missed the tablet train even though they released one in 2002, and they might do the same with the smartwatch.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
They had a smartphone too. Problem is, they couldn't put all of those things in a user-friendly package with a pretty bow on it and so they failed. It took them so long to learn, and as a result they missed the smartphone train even though they were there since the start, they missed the tablet train even though they released one in 2002, and they might do the same with the smartwatch.

Microsoft needs to come together and stop missing the train. They have great products but they really need the cohesiveness similar to Google. Google cranks something ambitious every year. They already put out Android Wear which is a HUGE step into wearables. Now the Moto 360 is shaping up to be the best smartwatch since the original Pebble. Microsoft should really respond to this. Maybe they'll have something to go along with WP8.1. Idk I just want Microsoft to do well. They have the potential.

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

And yet I have not met an Android, Blackberry, iPhone, or WP user to date that has any interest in these wearables. The sports related bands etc are in demand, but not wearables. And 400,000 sales in one year is a tiny % of mobile phones sales

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I think the smart watches have definitely taken off and I see a lot of support for them. Would you feel the same if they worked with WP? I own a pebble and the more I use it the more I like it. There are may times when I prefer to get my notifications on my watch rather than reaching for my phone to check it. One of the sister sites to WP Central is Smartwatchfans. LG and Moto just announced devices using the android wear standard. I am looking forward to hearing more about the Moto 360! I would be interested in a WP smart watch also! And 3D TV is still around, you can just toggle it to use when you want to...at least on the newest TV I purchased. Yep, you guessed it, a SMART TV!

Understand what you are saying, yes there will be interest but from my view not major, general public interest. I'm sure this is why Apple have not released one yet.

Personally I would have zero interest in watches/glasses etc. I would not trust someone wearing glasses, who knows what they would be doing with them, and have no need for a watch with limited functions. My phone is generally available to me on a desk or in the car, with a Bluetooth earpiece I'm set up. It would be silly to have a watch, glasses and Bluetooth headset in any situation. So will not be a purchaser.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
And yet I have not met an Android, Blackberry, iPhone, or WP user to date that has any interest in these wearables. The sports related bands etc are in demand, but not wearables. And 400,000 sales in one year is a tiny % of mobile phones sales

Considering how new wearables are I think that's pretty good. Also your post about no interest is ancedotal. I can find another 5-10 who thinks its cool so that means little. Only hard numbers (read:facts) tell the story and almost half a million smartwatches in year in "niche" market is pretty good. Mind you this is one company's numbers. There was other smartwatches on sale last year too.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

I understand that smart watches may not be for you, but you should at least learn a bit more about them from a factual standpoint before discussing them inaccurately. They are used with a smartphone not a separate item so no SIM needed. They use bluetooth 4.0 or LE which is bluetooth low energy. They hardly affect the battery life on a phones such as my moto X or Nexus 5.

Last edited:

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft needs to come together and stop missing the train. They have great products but they really need the cohesiveness similar to Google. Google cranks something ambitious every year. They already put out Android Wear which is a HUGE step into wearables. Now the Moto 360 is shaping up to be the best smartwatch since the original Pebble. Microsoft should really respond to this. Maybe they'll have something to go along with WP8.1. Idk I just want Microsoft to do well. They have the potential.

Maybe pebble will develop for WP now that bluetooth 4.0 is or will be part of the WP OS.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Understand what you are saying, yes there will be interest but from my view not major, general public interest. I'm sure this is why Apple have not released one yet.

Personally I would have zero interest in watches/glasses etc. I would not trust someone wearing glasses, who knows what they would be doing with them, and have no need for a watch with limited functions. My phone is generally available to me on a desk or in the car, with a Bluetooth earpiece I'm set up. It would be silly to have a watch, glasses and Bluetooth headset in any situation. So will not be a purchaser.

I hear you. We all have our taste etc. I for one would not wear glasses such as google glass. I do not like things on my face except maybe sunglasses when outdoors. As one who sits in many meetings and runs many meetings, I like not having to reach for my phone with every text/email/phonecall. I can just glance at my pebble an know if it is important or not. Pretty handy for my lifestyle. I have had many people I work with and others, on planes etc, notice my pebble and ask about it. I also know a few co workers that have bought one.

If one or more come to WP I think they will be popular.

Last edited:

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I think you may be very much in the minority. Like it or not, wearable tech is becoming a very hot item, in a way that 3D TV never did. I also think that's kind of a poor analogy because 3D TV was pushed by the industry and never got traction, whereas smartwatches are growing in popularity on their own merit. I believe this is a market segment that MS won't be able to ignore much longer

The point made in many comments is that MS are not leading the way and the prime example is watches, which have been pushed by Google.. So I would say the idea has been subtly but heavily marketed. As for say Pebble, with sales of 400,000 last year, which is a tiny % of mobile sales, from tech savvy people rather than the general public.

Sony are also trying to sell watches and wigs with sensors, don't think that's happening. Apple are always rumoured to be releasing a watch but have not, maybe the low sales so far is the reason Apple have not bothered.

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I hear you. We all have our taste etc. I for one would not wear glasses such as google glass. I do not like things on my face except maybe sunglasses when outdoors. As one who sits in many meetings and runs many meetings, I like not having to reach for my phone with every text/email/phonecall. I can just glance at my pebble an know if it is important or not. Pretty handy for my lifestyle. If one or more come to WP I think they will be popular.

Yes, there will be interest, and for you the watch will be useful. Guess we can debate the future popularity of these devices but only time will show how popular they will be with the general public.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel