Microsoft really needs to step up

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The point made in many comments is that MS are not leading the way and the prime example is watches, which have been pushed by Google.. So I would say the idea has been subtly but heavily marketed. As for say Pebble, with sales of 400,000 last year, which is a tiny % of mobile sales, from tech savvy people rather than the general public.

Sony are also trying to sell watches and wigs with sensors, don't think that's happening. Apple are always rumoured to be releasing a watch but have not, maybe the low sales so far is the reason Apple have not bothered.

You really think 400,000 tech fans went and bought Pebble smartwatches? Are you serious? Pebble smartwatches was available from many big retailers such as Best Buy. I'm pretty sure the majority of those sales were mass consumers.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Considering how new wearables are I think that's pretty good. Also your post about no interest is ancedotal. I can find another 5-10 who thinks its cool so that means little. Only hard numbers (read:facts) tell the story and almost half a million smartwatches in year in "niche" market is pretty good. Mind you this is one company's numbers. There was other smartwatches on sale last year too.

Yes, be interesting to know how many smart accessories are being sold. Sony have produced watches and wigs recently but not sure of the sales to date. And have seen other watch makers mentioned in WP Central articles. So, billions of mobiles currently in use and watches are probably not selling as well as 3D TV's, which have now been accepted generally in the media as a fail. I think Apple are very market aware and have not released a watch to date, be interesting to see if they bother or not?

And we have different viewpoints here so as you say, the future will show how popular these will be. They are not for me but as always with tech, interesting times ahead and we may be surprised by the success of products or not,......

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
If WP, Google or IOs wants to make a big hit, than create something what is already in use.
Think about the earphones or plugs, instead of wiredup with a cable and jackplug.....make it wireless
Everyone use them, on publick transportation, sports, work etc etc.......but everyone is annoyed about the wires.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes, there will be interest, and for you the watch will be useful. Guess we can debate the future popularity of these devices but only time will show how popular they will be with the general public.

I think this is more than a niche category and is becoming very popular.
From an earlier post:
"Sony already has 2 versions out (3 if you include the Liveview watch). Samsung has announced 3 new versions of their 2nd gen. Metawatch announced their 3rd gen. Cookoo has announced their 2nd gen. Pebble is shipping their 2nd gen. Motorola has announced their 2nd gen. Then there is all the new watches announced for this summer Nabu Razer, LG G watch, Archos, Lenovo, Agent, Kreyos and the list goes on."

A lot of tech companies are already putting significant resources into smart watches. Of the top 3 smart phone platforms only MS does not a watch available from at least a 3rd party. (Believe it or not the Pebble teams first smart watch was for Blackberry!)

Since I already have an app for the Pebble on WP8 I have offered for months to help MS bring full support to that smart watch but they had no interest.

Last edited:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If WP, Google or IOs wants to make a big hit, than create something what is already in use.
Think about the earphones or plugs, instead of wiredup with a cable and jackplug.....make it wireless
Everyone use them, on publick transportation, sports, work etc etc.......but everyone is annoyed about the wires.

There are already wireless headphones.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, be interesting to know how many smart accessories are being sold. Sony have produced watches and wigs recently but not sure of the sales to date. And have seen other watch makers mentioned in WP Central articles. So, billions of mobiles currently in use and watches are probably not selling as well as 3D TV's, which have now been accepted generally in the media as a fail. I think Apple are very market aware and have not released a watch to date, be interesting to see if they bother or not?

And we have different viewpoints here so as you say, the future will show how popular these will be. They are not for me but as always with tech, interesting times ahead and we may be surprised by the success of products or not,......

Yes the future will tell. The smartwatch market is VERY young. I honestly couldn't care less if Apple made one. They obviously are very slow to trends anyways. They kept the same screen size for years and they still have yet to adopt NFC (a ubiquitous feature). Even if they do make one it would only work for Apple products.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I doubt this is something that is something on the agenda list for someone like the big companies. But here's a small list:
Best stereo Bluetooth headphones - CNET

Thx but that's not what i meant.
I mean.

Complete in ear with no wires at all

But first we have to get the basics right.
Thats the OS.
Wat i would like to see is a landscape option for phablets
Something like this.
Just like Droid

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Thx but that's not what i meant.
I mean.

[url]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm179/groetjes-uit-groningen/j.jpg[/URL]

Complete in ear with no wires at all

But first we have to get the basics right.
Thats the OS.
Wat i would like to see is a landscape option for phablets
Something like this.
Just like Droid

[url]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm179/groetjes-uit-groningen/f6434eec-93e7-4fdf-a3db-651dd1edec4b.png[/URL]

The OS needs more fixes than just landscape option for phablets.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
And i always thought that i was the negative one. hahaha ;-)

Its true, but that also counts for the other platforms.
Its never finisht, its a ongoing proces.
But first, we have to wait for the next update.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
And i always thought that i was the negative one. hahaha ;-)

Its true, but that also counts for the other platforms.
Its never finisht, its a ongoing proces.
But first, we have to wait for the next update.

Not negative. Realistic. Even if its your favorite OS, you have to be critical of it and know its weaknesses along with its strengths.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Side Note: I use Microsoft Services extensively and I trust them more than Google. But I still have issue with the way they handle WP right now. Too much time between updates and core functionality that should be included in a phone out of the box is lacking or absent entirely right now. I only want Microsoft to do better, not worse.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't see anything wrong with people being critical of MS. It is true that they are behind Google and Apple, and believe me they know that. Hence the restructuring of the company, Balmer's retirement, and the shift to cloud and devices. This kind of reminds me of webos, which I used, were the fans were passionate but slightly upset that the hardware was lacking. With WP its not the hardware its the software that is behind. I'm really looking forward to 8.1 and whatever else Microsoft has in store because I really like the design ethos they went with. I like android too but the design is always different between companies and I hate that. If you look at android's notifications they are by far and away the most mature of the mobile os's. Anyway I don't think anyone should be getting **** hurt if the op wants to stress what he perceives has Microsoft's shortcomings.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I said this the day the WP 8.1 "leaked" SDK came to light, get ready for the hoards of g-troll walkers to be unleashed on us. They will get louder and more ridiculous the closer we get to D-Day.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I said this the day the WP 8.1 "leaked" SDK came to light, get ready for the hoards of g-troll walkers to be unleashed on us. They will get louder and more ridiculous the closer we get to D-Day.

Ignore them then. The worst thing to do, which never happens, is that Microsoft fans come to defend Microsoft and then get caught in a flame war. You should see the comments on Microsoft articles on The Verge. Flame War to the MAX.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

I am also one who is known as a pessimist.
But i dont understand
people buy a phone and start whining about updates, future releases, inovations, world domination and lord knows what else.
But you buy a product just as it is, not what its going to be.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Ignore them then. The worst thing to do, which never happens, is that Microsoft fans come to defend Microsoft and then get caught in a flame war. You should see the comments on Microsoft articles on The Verge. Flame War to the MAX.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Hahaha, yea your right.
I read it everyday on local Fora.
IOS vs Droid, Droid vs WP WP vs IOS
Samsung vs Apple

Schoolyard stuf.....Mine is better, bigger, expencive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss