Microsoft really needs to step up

Doom At Last

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I was comparing the speech recognition of Google Now on a friend's Android versus Bing's TellMe service on my phone and I was amazed by how accurate Google's service was. Bing can get you many words wrong, words that don't make any sense. I wonder how MS is going to compete with Siri and Google if their voice recognition software is so behind?
I've wanted Skype to be part of the WP OS since the WP7 days but that has never happened and it looks like it isn't happening anytime soon with WP8.1. Speaking of WP, Despite what the ultra fanboys say, it needs work, getting real tired of the catching-up crap. Google's already moving on the wearables while MS's somewhere behind playing catch-up.
Oh well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am also one who is known as a pessimist.
But i dont understand
people buy a phone and start whining about updates, future releases, inovations, world domination and lord knows what else.
But you buy a product just as it is, not what its going to be.

I heartily second this. Always buy a device based on what it is, not what it will be with updates. Unless you have an iPhone or a Nexus device, updates are not guaranteed. Even then, you don't know what the updates will bring until soon before release.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
speech recognition is a hard thing to get right.
I worked with Google, Siri and many others and i just gave up.
Non of them understood a word i said.....as long if they are not "intelligent" its always be crippled.
There are many languages, and dont forget dialects, not everyone speaks fluent english lijk mie :)

I truly believe that interpretation of words is the biggest bottleneck of speech recognition.
And it takes years to get it right...if we get it right

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
speech recognition is a hard thing to get right.
I worked with Google, Siri and many others and i just gave up.
Non of them understood a word i said.....as long if they are not "intelligent" its always be crippled.
There are many languages, and dont forget dialects, not everyone speaks fluent english lijk mie :)

I truly believe that interpretation of words is the biggest bottleneck of speech recognition.
And it takes years to get it right...if we get it right

I have a Moto X and speech recognition is painful at times. I even slow down my words and everything and google manages to mess up one or more words.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Ignore them then. The worst thing to do, which never happens, is that Microsoft fans come to defend Microsoft and then get caught in a flame war. You should see the comments on Microsoft articles on The Verge. Flame War to the MAX.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

I ignore them but you can't ignore that stench. I'm just making the point. I'm comfortable with this platform and have learned its best to stay in my lane and not peer over fences. The trolls are on the stroll and you can smell em from blocks away. And with 8.1 in the wings, these trolls smell red meat.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Summarizing:

its a Shot Gun vs a Sniper.
(Google and partners) vs (Microsoft and partners)

(buy & sell everything you think its interesting) vs (buy and sell based on financial analysis)

(include every feature mankind can think of) vs (include important effective features)

(Users who are hit, are wounded) vs (users that are hit, are killed of joy, and telling everyone around)

that was just for fun.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Summarizing:

(buy & sell everything you think its interesting) vs (buy and sell based on financial analysis)

(include every feature mankind can think of) vs (include important effective features)

(Users who are hit, are wounded) vs (users that are hit, are killed of joy, and telling everyone around)

that was just for fun.

Wait I don't understand this comparison, both weapons are useful in their own spaces. You wouldn't fire on long distances with a shotgun (unless it's a SAIGA in Battlefield 3), and you wouldn't use a sniper rifle in close quarters. What's the deal?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Google hangouts vs Skype, google play vs windows phone store xbox music vs play music play games vs xbox live google vs bing. Microsoft are directly competing with google. Google are taking over. They even have google + which competes with twitter & Facebook. I don't think Microsoft need to catch up, i think they need to over take, dominate, innovate. Playing catch up is not enough.

Why do you think that one company should do everything (whether Google, Microsoft or someone else)? Isn't it better than services are offered by many companies, and available on all significant platforms? Why would any sane person want one company to dominate anything?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Summarizing:

that was just for fun.

Wow! A psychologist could have a lot of fun with this!

BTW, your analogy wasn't very clear, but are you arguing that the Skype purchase was based on sound financial analysis?

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Wow! A psychologist could have a lot of fun with this!

BTW, your analogy wasn't very clear, but are you arguing that the Skype purchase was based on sound financial analysis?

I only mean that google is fast and responsive, though less accurate, Microsoft analyzes big data, slowly, but more accurate, then produces. Example R&D cost of Xbox controller.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I only mean that google is fast and responsive, though less accurate, Microsoft analyzes big data, slowly, but more accurate, then produces. Example R&D cost of Xbox controller.

How is Google less accurate?

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I said this the day the WP 8.1 "leaked" SDK came to light, get ready for the hoards of g-troll walkers to be unleashed on us. They will get louder and more ridiculous the closer we get to D-Day.

I have absolutely no idea what this post is trying to say. Also, the questionable military analogies are getting quite disturbing.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I am also one who is known as a pessimist.
But i dont understand
people buy a phone and start whining about updates, future releases, inovations, world domination and lord knows what else.
But you buy a product just as it is, not what its going to be.

I understand what you're trying to say. But I have to disagree. There should be a level of expectation that the product will be bettered in the future, whether its through updates or maximizing what can be done with the technology. To use another piece of tech as comparison, i can't imagine anyone who just dropped $400-$500 on next Gen consoles don't expect that in a few years, the experience on the console will be and should be better through updates and developers really knowing how to push the games to the consoles limits.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
MS had a smartwatch over a decade ago. Kinda like they've had tablets since about 2001.

Correction: 1991. It was called Windows for Pen Computing and had a stylus, handwriting recognition, drawing capabilities and more. Childish by today's standards, but Bill Gates was already demonstrating working tablet hardware over two decades ago.

You can find a video of Bill demonstrating it himself in this post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-microsoft-news-discussion/263142-2.htm#post2348329

Last edited:

Sean D.

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
I've often thought of posting threads like this but always stop myself - there are too many fanboys on these forums that blindly think Microsoft can do no wrong. I love my 920, Surface, Windows 8.1 desktop, and Xbox 360... but I agree with the OP, MS always seems to be playing catchup.

For instance, I'm as excited about WP 8.1 as anyone else. It's looking to be an enormous update. But it makes me realize how lackluster an update WP8 was. Cortana will come out 2 YEARS after Google Now, and even longer after Siri. Notification center has been in Android forever, and even Apple adopted it 2 and a half years ago.

Now we're heading into the era of wearable devices, and look at all the great press Google gets for their Android Wear initiative. Wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft were the one to introduce the world to wearbles on a wide scale? Even services like Xbox Music... nobody has any idea that they exist. Which, by the way, makes no sense considering they're trying to be a devices and services company. They should be advertising these things like crazy. I saw these short and sweet ads playing after the Superbowl for Google Play music, and books, and video. I have literally never seen a commercial for any of Microsoft's entertainment services.

None of this is to say MS makes crappy products and has crappy services - they're for the most part really good. The trouble is that the competition is also really good, and MS is NEVER the one to lead the charge.

How is MS playing "catch up" when most, if not all of what is being talked about MS has done? To many of you all have short term memory and only live blog to blog. There is/was a history of tech long before the last year or so.

Cortana comes out 2 years after google now, which was a year or so after Siri, which was several years after MS Voice command.
Google has a smart watch with is coming about 10 years after the MSN Spot watch.
The notification center, which has in fact been a pretty unnecessary thing for WP, was also copied from the old Windows Mobile task bar.
We have yet to see a viable competitor from google that will rival MS Office, MS Servers, Azure, PC, XBox, and several others. But nobody looks at that and says "google/apple is way behind". Nope, you wait till the next anti MS, click-bait article to be written by the next hack, ms-hating "writer" to start the next anti-MS topic and run with it.

Believe it or not, the company's that are getting the attention today are doing things MS did, or started years ago. So how is MS NOT "leading the charge"?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Smartwatches have to be so extremely compelling in feature set to overcome my discomfort of having something enclosed on my left wrist all day long. Will an iWatch not cause sweating?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The notification center, which has in fact been a pretty unnecessary thing for WP, was also copied from the old Windows Mobile task bar.

You obviously miss the point of why Action Center is needed. Live Tiles are not the equivalent of all your missed notifications, also they are not in view all at once. To me the Live Tile home screen is more of a "browsing launcher" when you're not driven by notifications. Also the Quick Toggles are going to be a much lauded feature.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
How is MS playing "catch up" when most, if not all of what is being talked about MS has done? To many of you all have short term memory and only live blog to blog. There is/was a history of tech long before the last year or so.

Cortana comes out 2 years after google now, which was a year or so after Siri, which was several years after MS Voice command.
Google has a smart watch with is coming about 10 years after the MSN Spot watch.
We have yet to see a viable competitor from google that will rival MS Office, MS Servers, Azure, PC, XBox, and several others. But nobody looks at that and says "google/apple is way behind". Nope, you wait till the next anti MS, click-bait article to be written by the next hack, ms-hating "writer" to start the next anti-MS topic and run with it.

Believe it or not, the company's that are getting the attention today are doing things MS did, or started years ago. So how is MS NOT "leading the charge"?

With less than 5% mobile phone market share and just now beating out BlackBerry that's how they are not leading the charge. I understand they did a lot of these technologies before but they never had all of them in a modern mobile device.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss