Microsoft really needs to step up

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I understand what you're trying to say. But I have to disagree. There should be a level of expectation that the product will be bettered in the future, whether its through updates or maximizing what can be done with the technology. To use another piece of tech as comparison, i can't imagine anyone who just dropped $400-$500 on next Gen consoles don't expect that in a few years, the experience on the console will be and should be better through updates and developers really knowing how to push the games to the consoles limits.

Comparing mobile devices to consoles is unfair because consoles last 3-4 years or more. A phone gets changed every 2 years or less.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Smartwatches have to be so extremely compelling in feature set to overcome my discomfort of having something enclosed on my left wrist all day long. Will an iWatch not cause sweating?

You never wore a watch?

Doom At Last

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
How is MS playing "catch up" when most, if not all of what is being talked about MS has done? To many of you all have short term memory and only live blog to blog. There is/was a history of tech long before the last year or so.

Cortana comes out 2 years after google now, which was a year or so after Siri, which was several years after MS Voice command.
Google has a smart watch with is coming about 10 years after the MSN Spot watch.
The notification center, which has in fact been a pretty unnecessary thing for WP, was also copied from the old Windows Mobile task bar.
We have yet to see a viable competitor from google that will rival MS Office, MS Servers, Azure, PC, XBox, and several others. But nobody looks at that and says "google/apple is way behind". Nope, you wait till the next anti MS, click-bait article to be written by the next hack, ms-hating "writer" to start the next anti-MS topic and run with it.

Believe it or not, the company's that are getting the attention today are doing things MS did, or started years ago. So how is MS NOT "leading the charge"?
This isn't about who did what first. I don't give a damn about MS having made a tablet 20 years ago that never took off. We don't care about the smartwatch they had 10 years ago or whatever they had 10, 20, 30 years ago. Are you going to say that Sony is leading the charge in music players because they had Walkman 10 years ago? Or that Blackberry is leading the charge in the mobile market? Really? Who the hell honestly cares who copied who, everything around us has been copied and iterated at some point, it's who does it better that matters. A lot of features we've seen coming to wp8.1 are stuff already implemented in android and iOS, that's Ms paying catch up. We'll have to wait and see if Cortana will be anything revolutionary.

Last edited:

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me, but i see more and more "flame" topics lately.
If you dont like the ecosystem than go find a other one
I am not a fan of any OS, but it gives what i need.
Its just a Phone, if i want a watch i buy a seiko
I dont want to walk around al wiredup like somekind of a puppet on a string.

Inovation does not mean that you have to push every new thingy on the market.
How many Droid phones has failed over the years?
Look in al the other fora, problems all over.
Not only Droid, Ios also...........just like WP, and is it not the OS then its the hardware.
There is no holy grail.

All these inapp chatsapps are hardly used.
Most people hang on what they are used to.
Here its Whatsapp, Telegram, Viber.................
Microsoft had Messenger, and i due believe that they abandend it.......i am not sure about that.
The mainstream uses thirdparty apps
So why reinventing the wheel if people not going to use them.

MS has a firm grip on the market with the Windows Operating systems.
Ofcourse with ups and downs, but stil its never defeated.

I crossed over because i was curious and i was tired of bughunting, trying make my expencive phone work like i wanted to.
No suddent reboots or forced closings, and tried different roms to make it my own.
Its fun to do, but if i buy something, it should work right out of the box without tweaking.
Nokia has a little cheap phone called 520, even with the low specs it works great and snappy.
Try that with a droid phone with the same specs or price.
Cant speak for Apples ios, they dont have a real budgetline...........not for my wallet.
And i dont like the ecosystem of Apple, but that does not mean that it is not good, i just dont like it.
Besides that, i dont want to give more then 300,- max for a phone, i got other hobbys.
I bought a 1320 for 170?, thats about 230$ give or take, i find that pretty expensive ( oke it came with a leather flipcover, otherwise it whas a complete ripoff ).

There is no road on the tech field that MS havend drove already.
They had smartphones/pocketpc's, smartwatches, tablets long before al these others.
I had once at my job a pannel with XP embedded, dont know the brand.
I remember a docu with Gates about MS and the house of the future, wel thats inovation.
Apple was just started and Google ???????? a couple of nosepicking teenagers on a schoolyard.

So if you dont like the MS ecosystem or the way its going, then there are planty of others.

Amen

I can't be the only one who sang this post instead of reading it?

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
How is Google less accurate?

google plus, google glass, Motorola, ditching honeycomb on tablets for a mobile OS, then back to a tablet OS with liveties, android design language at the beginning, almost losing android for Samsung, google WiFi balloons, chromebook, lots of android devices where you will never get updates.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
google plus, google glass, Motorola, ditching honeycomb on tablets for a mobile OS, then back to a tablet OS with liveties, android design language at the beginning, almost losing android for Samsung, google WiFi balloons, chromebook, lots of android devices where you will never get updates.

Yeah, most of this is not accurate at all.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Google hangouts vs Skype, google play vs windows phone store xbox music vs play music play games vs xbox live google vs bing. Microsoft are directly competing with google. Google are taking over. They even have google + which competes with twitter & Facebook. I don't think Microsoft need to catch up, i think they need to over take, dominate, innovate. Playing catch up is not enough.

Microsoft is never going to overtake or even get close to Google if they continue to fully support all their services only in the US. That's all there is to it, for anyone who frequently travels between the US and the EU or other parts of the world you know what I am talking about.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
MS had a smartwatch over a decade ago. Kinda like they've had tablets since about 2001.

Yeah sure they did, just like they had Windows Mobile [which was great btw], but the problem is that even though they had the products nearly a decade before Apple or Google they never managed to make them a widespread success like Google has done with Android or Apple with iOS, and that blame lies solely with Balmer and his shortsightedness when it comes to portable devices.
Now lets see if Nadella can bring out MS from the hole they have dug for themselves.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Comparing mobile devices to consoles is unfair because consoles last 3-4 years or more. A phone gets changed every 2 years or less.

Point taken. I still don't think its unreasonable to expect updates to your phone if its lacking features that have been standard on the competitors for however many years. Provided the hardware and software allows for it. I do agree some measure of reality has to be kept in mind.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Trust me, I would love for a Skype experience that's among iMessage and Hangouts. And yes, they will be playing catch up once that comes into fruition.

But Microsoft can't and won't have their foot on every subsidary's neck, so lose that dream FAST. Every venture they do won't be a Kinect/Xbox take over. Mobile space seems to be one of those areas so all that seems plausible is for them to react faster.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Google hangouts vs Skype, google play vs windows phone store xbox music vs play music play games vs xbox live google vs bing. Microsoft are directly competing with google. Google are taking over. They even have google + which competes with twitter & Facebook. I don't think Microsoft need to catch up, i think they need to over take, dominate, innovate. Playing catch up is not enough.

Besides Google search I don't know of any other google service anyone I know uses on a regular basis.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You don't know anyone who uses Google Maps? Or Google Music?

The one person I've ever known to use Google Music only used it for a month because of a free trial. Hardly anyone else I know even buys music, or if they do, they use iTunes.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The one person I've ever known to use Google Music only used it for a month because of a free trial. Hardly anyone else I know even buys music, or if they do, they use iTunes.

When I'm talking about Google Music, I'm talking about the Google Music Manager that allows you to upload your downloaded music files to the cloud and then play those songs on any device that can access Google Music (directly via the web on a Windows computer or via an app on an iOS or Android device). You can upload up to 20,000 songs for free. It allows you to get around the restrictions associated with iTunes (which I also use BTW).

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
When I'm talking about Google Music, I'm talking about the Google Music Manager that allows you to upload your downloaded music files to the cloud and then play those songs on any device that can access Google Music (directly via the web on a Windows computer or via an app on an iOS or Android device). You can upload up to 20,000 songs for free. It allows you to get around the restrictions associated with iTunes (which I also use BTW).

ah, I see now. I thought you meant the unlimited streaming service. Now for, that kind of Google Music, I can't say I've ever seen someone use it, but that's not even something that I'd look for. I would assume someone that I know uses it though.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is never going to overtake or even get close to Google if they continue to fully support all their services only in the US. That's all there is to it, for anyone who frequently travels between the US and the EU or other parts of the world you know what I am talking about.

I assume people who live outside the US might also know what you're talking about. To be honest, I'm surprised you didn't mention them.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos