03-29-2014 06:25 PM
68 123
tools
    lol...but before Satya became CEO he was in charge of Azure and cloud.
    Yes. And why would you think the person in charge of Azure and Cloud would have more to do with Office than the CEO of the company? Office is under Applications and Services. Cloud and Azure are in a separate group.
    03-27-2014 03:05 PM
    Yes. And why would you think the person in charge of Azure and Cloud would have more to do with Office than the CEO of the company? Office is under Applications and Services. Cloud and Azure are in a separate group.
    You just killed your point you were trying to make. Ballmer isn't going to get credit for Office for iPad...he is not the CEO.
    03-27-2014 03:07 PM
    The question should be why should Ballmer get much of the credit anyway if he was against it to begin with?
    Because, as CEO, he had a lot to do with the wider direction of the company.

He was the head of Microsoft's cloud division. It powers Office 365 and several other Microsoft products. He probably had to work closely with the Office team to make sure everything worked smoothly.
    Yes, he did work with them. The question is why you'd think Nadellla would have more to do with it than Ballmer. And that's a question you haven't answered.
    03-27-2014 03:08 PM
    You just killed your point you were trying to make. Ballmer isn't going to get credit for Office for iPad...he is not the CEO.
    So all the work he did while he was CEO means nothing because he left a few months before it was released? Do you know nothing about how software development works?
    03-27-2014 03:09 PM
    So all the work he did while he was CEO means nothing because he left a few months before it was released? Do you know nothing about how software development works?
    You're starting to beat a dead horse in this thread dude. Who cares....Office for iPad is out, like Satya said....TEAM MICROSOFT.
    03-27-2014 03:15 PM
    Yes, he did work with them. The question is why you'd think Nadellla would have more to do with it than Ballmer. And that's a question you haven't answered.
    No, I just answered it. If you disagree then perhaps you should provide sufficient evidence of what Ballmer did to help grow the Cloud and Enterprise division. Last I checked it was Satya that's credited for growing the Cloud and Enterprise division from 16 billion to 20 billion. It's his division that allows Office 365 and Microsoft's numerous cloud efforts to flourish. If you have evidence to the contrary then please post it.
    03-27-2014 03:22 PM
    OK, I was wrong. The real question is: WHO REALLY GIVES A FLYING BURRITO?

Is Steve Ballmer your fishing buddy or something? Why do you really care?
    03-27-2014 03:22 PM
    Just like Elop got most of the blame for the mistakes that were done over a span of 5 years before he even joined Nokia.
    snowmutt likes this.
    03-27-2014 03:23 PM
    You're starting to beat a dead horse in this thread dude. Who cares....Office for iPad is out, like Satya said....TEAM MICROSOFT.
    If you don't care, please stop posting to this thread.

No, I just answered it. If you disagree then perhaps you should provide sufficient evidence of what Ballmer did to help grow the Cloud and Enterprise division. Last I checked it was Satya that's credited for growing the Cloud and Enterprise division from 16 billion to 20 billion. It's his division that allows Office 365 and Microsoft's numerous cloud efforts to flourish. If you have evidence to the contrary then please post it.
    I am arguing that Office for iPad has to do with more then the cloud. It could have had the best cloud integration ever, but that isn't the reason why it took so long to make. They've been trying to make touch office work on a UI basis.

Oh yeah, we go fishing every Thursday these days. Either that, or I have an opinion on something. One of the two.

Just like Elop got most of the blame for the mistakes that were done over a span of 5 years before he even joined Nokia.
    And that was equally stupid.
    03-27-2014 03:34 PM
    Guys no matter what we do this guy isn't going to be happy.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X
    03-27-2014 03:36 PM
    Guys no matter what we do this guy isn't going to be happy.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X
    I am happy, though. This discussion that everyone has been going through has been enlightening. But, hey, I suppose most people don't like a discussion that isn't a five post affair.
    03-27-2014 03:43 PM
    I honestly wouldn't give a sh!t as long as I got paid
    etad putta likes this.
    03-27-2014 03:49 PM

i laughed so hard at the fishing buddy part
    03-27-2014 03:50 PM
    I honestly wouldn't give a sh!t as long as I got paid
    I guess we both value different things. But I do see your point.
    03-27-2014 04:07 PM
    Why does it matter who gets credit? The only thing that concerns shareholders is making a return on their investments. Offering Office for iPad is a great plan to make money, since it will encourage more Office 365 subscriptions. This is a win for shareholders, no matter whose idea it happened to be.
    etad putta and N_LaRUE like this.
    03-27-2014 07:29 PM
    Why does it matter who gets credit? The only thing that concerns shareholders is making a return on their investments. Offering Office for iPad is a great plan to make money, since it will encourage more Office 365 subscriptions. This is a win for shareholders, no matter whose idea it happened to be.
    I suppose that, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. And, really, this is just one more example of something major that I see as a problem in the tech media. Whether the tech media gives credit for something or not depends on whether or not they like them specifically.
    03-27-2014 07:32 PM
    There is an old cliche' to the effect of "If you want people to appreciate you, retire or die. Then all kinds of nice stuff will come out".

Mr. Ballmer is still a little too recent to get credit for anything. He came in at a bad point (the height of Microsofts anti-trust punishments) and left at a bad point (Microsoft trying to catch up in the mobile world as PC's were dying and software use was changing and they were much too slow to respond to it). But in between, he did just an amazing job in a company that was near impossible to do everything right in. He will get his credit, and I think in a year or two people will begin to see how effective a job he did in an amazingly complicated position.

Mr. Nadella is being handed the reigns of a massive company in a state of flux, but a company on solid ground, huge cash advantages, and a decent direction. Mr. Ballmer will get his props for his leadership. But right now, a fresh face and an exciting future is getting the headlines. That is just natural.
    Michael Alan Goff likes this.
    03-28-2014 04:38 AM
    nadella and ballmer are very underestimated
    they both are actually geniuses in their line of work
    dunno why theres so much hate for both of them
    03-28-2014 04:52 AM
    Well Nadella just lost all my respect. According to reports, at the launch he said "It is to make sure that the one billion Office users have access to the high fidelity Office experience on every device they love to use."... "love to use"?! Really? Why not just "use"? Love is a powerful emotion with many better targets than a mass produced technology product. This sentence makes him sound like an emotionally crippled marketing robot. He will not solve Microsoft's problems.
    03-28-2014 05:48 AM
    Well Nadella just lost all my respect. According to reports, at the launch he said "It is to make sure that the one billion Office users have access to the high fidelity Office experience on every device they love to use."... "love to use"?! Really? Why not just "use"? Love is a powerful emotion with many better targets than a mass produced technology product. This sentence makes him sound like an emotionally crippled marketing robot. He will not solve Microsoft's problems.
    Of all of the thngs he said yesterday, what an incredibly odd thing to single out and pick on. Think you're taking things WAY too literally here. That's just weird. Nobody (well,except you apparently) is going to take offense at, or even take any particular note of, that phrase. It was intended to be way more innocuous than the innuendo you're trying to ascribe to it.
    03-28-2014 06:04 AM
    Of all of the thngs he said yesterday, what an incredibly odd thing to single out and pick on. Think you're taking things WAY too literally here. That's just weird. Nobody (well,except you apparently) is going to take offense at, or even take any particular note of, that phrase. It was intended to be way more innocuous than the innuendo you're trying to ascribe to it.
    I hear this kind of thing a lot - I mean, attempting to associate fundamental human needs and desires with bland corporate products. It's nothing new, of course, it's been around since marketing people first read Freud. It indicates a certain way of thinking, and to me, it degrades what it is to be a human being.
    lippidp likes this.
    03-28-2014 06:22 AM
    Good news for some bad news for others: Office Mobile was updated for Android and iPhone. Biggest change you wont need Office 365 to use it anymore even better/worse: you wont need Office 365 to even edit Documents. Basically its completely free right now.
    Just installed on my Galaxy S4 and I can confirm this :D I can create & edit Word and Excel documents :)

Great to have both Microsoft Office and Quickoffice on my smartphone, going to test MS Office and see if it's worth keeping.
    03-28-2014 07:15 AM
    I suppose that, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. And, really, this is just one more example of something major that I see as a problem in the tech media. Whether the tech media gives credit for something or not depends on whether or not they like them specifically.
    Tech media lacks objectivity just as any other media. It's nothing unique to tech.

The problem is that you really don't know the internal politics at Microsoft at the time of Office for iPad was being developed. Or how Ballmer felt about the project. You'd be amazed at the politics that go on in a corporation as diverse as Microsoft. So to claim that Nadella is getting too much praise is not based on anything more substantial than your feelings about it. That's ok, but let's acknowledge what it is.
    03-28-2014 07:21 AM
    Man I just support what you said.
    03-28-2014 07:27 AM
    There is an old cliche' to the effect of "If you want people to appreciate you, retire or die. Then all kinds of nice stuff will come out".

Mr. Ballmer is still a little too recent to get credit for anything. He came in at a bad point (the height of Microsofts anti-trust punishments) and left at a bad point (Microsoft trying to catch up in the mobile world as PC's were dying and software use was changing and they were much too slow to respond to it). But in between, he did just an amazing job in a company that was near impossible to do everything right in. He will get his credit, and I think in a year or two people will begin to see how effective a job he did in an amazingly complicated position.

Mr. Nadella is being handed the reigns of a massive company in a state of flux, but a company on solid ground, huge cash advantages, and a decent direction. Mr. Ballmer will get his props for his leadership. But right now, a fresh face and an exciting future is getting the headlines. That is just natural.
    This is a point I hadn't thought of. Thanks.

Huh? He's just passionate about his products and thinks others are as well.

Tech media lacks objectivity just as any other media. It's nothing unique to tech.

The problem is that you really don't know the internal politics at Microsoft at the time of Office for iPad was being developed. Or how Ballmer felt about the project. You'd be amazed at the politics that go on in a corporation as diverse as Microsoft. So to claim that Nadella is getting too much praise is not based on anything more substantial than your feelings about it. That's ok, but let's acknowledge what it is.
    You're probably right. I tend to be a little hot-headed about things sometimes.
    snowmutt likes this.
    03-28-2014 10:01 AM
68 123