Why is Nadella being given all of the credit for Office on iPad?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Why does it matter who gets credit? The only thing that concerns shareholders is making a return on their investments. Offering Office for iPad is a great plan to make money, since it will encourage more Office 365 subscriptions. This is a win for shareholders, no matter whose idea it happened to be.

I suppose that, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. And, really, this is just one more example of something major that I see as a problem in the tech media. Whether the tech media gives credit for something or not depends on whether or not they like them specifically.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
There is an old cliche' to the effect of "If you want people to appreciate you, retire or die. Then all kinds of nice stuff will come out".

Mr. Ballmer is still a little too recent to get credit for anything. He came in at a bad point (the height of Microsofts anti-trust punishments) and left at a bad point (Microsoft trying to catch up in the mobile world as PC's were dying and software use was changing and they were much too slow to respond to it). But in between, he did just an amazing job in a company that was near impossible to do everything right in. He will get his credit, and I think in a year or two people will begin to see how effective a job he did in an amazingly complicated position.

Mr. Nadella is being handed the reigns of a massive company in a state of flux, but a company on solid ground, huge cash advantages, and a decent direction. Mr. Ballmer will get his props for his leadership. But right now, a fresh face and an exciting future is getting the headlines. That is just natural.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Well Nadella just lost all my respect. According to reports, at the launch he said "It is to make sure that the one billion Office users have access to the high fidelity Office experience on every device they love to use."... "love to use"?! Really? Why not just "use"? Love is a powerful emotion with many better targets than a mass produced technology product. This sentence makes him sound like an emotionally crippled marketing robot. He will not solve Microsoft's problems.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Well Nadella just lost all my respect. According to reports, at the launch he said "It is to make sure that the one billion Office users have access to the high fidelity Office experience on every device they love to use."... "love to use"?! Really? Why not just "use"? Love is a powerful emotion with many better targets than a mass produced technology product. This sentence makes him sound like an emotionally crippled marketing robot. He will not solve Microsoft's problems.

Of all of the thngs he said yesterday, what an incredibly odd thing to single out and pick on. Think you're taking things WAY too literally here. That's just weird. Nobody (well,except you apparently) is going to take offense at, or even take any particular note of, that phrase. It was intended to be way more innocuous than the innuendo you're trying to ascribe to it.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Of all of the thngs he said yesterday, what an incredibly odd thing to single out and pick on. Think you're taking things WAY too literally here. That's just weird. Nobody (well,except you apparently) is going to take offense at, or even take any particular note of, that phrase. It was intended to be way more innocuous than the innuendo you're trying to ascribe to it.

I hear this kind of thing a lot - I mean, attempting to associate fundamental human needs and desires with bland corporate products. It's nothing new, of course, it's been around since marketing people first read Freud. It indicates a certain way of thinking, and to me, it degrades what it is to be a human being.

Tsepz_GP

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Good news for some bad news for others: Office Mobile was updated for Android and iPhone. Biggest change you wont need Office 365 to use it anymore even better/worse: you wont need Office 365 to even edit Documents. Basically its completely free right now.

Just installed on my Galaxy S4 and I can confirm this :D I can create & edit Word and Excel documents :)

Great to have both Microsoft Office and Quickoffice on my smartphone, going to test MS Office and see if it's worth keeping.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I suppose that, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. And, really, this is just one more example of something major that I see as a problem in the tech media. Whether the tech media gives credit for something or not depends on whether or not they like them specifically.
Tech media lacks objectivity just as any other media. It's nothing unique to tech.

The problem is that you really don't know the internal politics at Microsoft at the time of Office for iPad was being developed. Or how Ballmer felt about the project. You'd be amazed at the politics that go on in a corporation as diverse as Microsoft. So to claim that Nadella is getting too much praise is not based on anything more substantial than your feelings about it. That's ok, but let's acknowledge what it is.

unnatixlr8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Man I just support what you said.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
There is an old cliche' to the effect of "If you want people to appreciate you, retire or die. Then all kinds of nice stuff will come out".

Mr. Ballmer is still a little too recent to get credit for anything. He came in at a bad point (the height of Microsofts anti-trust punishments) and left at a bad point (Microsoft trying to catch up in the mobile world as PC's were dying and software use was changing and they were much too slow to respond to it). But in between, he did just an amazing job in a company that was near impossible to do everything right in. He will get his credit, and I think in a year or two people will begin to see how effective a job he did in an amazingly complicated position.

Mr. Nadella is being handed the reigns of a massive company in a state of flux, but a company on solid ground, huge cash advantages, and a decent direction. Mr. Ballmer will get his props for his leadership. But right now, a fresh face and an exciting future is getting the headlines. That is just natural.

This is a point I hadn't thought of. Thanks.

Huh? He's just passionate about his products and thinks others are as well.

Tech media lacks objectivity just as any other media. It's nothing unique to tech.

The problem is that you really don't know the internal politics at Microsoft at the time of Office for iPad was being developed. Or how Ballmer felt about the project. You'd be amazed at the politics that go on in a corporation as diverse as Microsoft. So to claim that Nadella is getting too much praise is not based on anything more substantial than your feelings about it. That's ok, but let's acknowledge what it is.

You're probably right. I tend to be a little hot-headed about things sometimes.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Huh? He's just passionate about his products and thinks others are as well.

Minor point, but given that he was announcing the launch of Office for iPad, I assume he was referring to an Apple product, not to one of his own. Whatever, it made him sound like an emotionally stunted, ageing, middle ranking regional salesman.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Minor point, but given that he was announcing the launch of Office for iPad, I assume he was referring to an Apple product, not to one of his own. Whatever, it made him sound like an emotionally stunted, ageing, middle ranking regional salesman.

I thought he was talking about Office. *shrugs*

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I thought he was talking about Office. *shrugs*

If you go back to my original post, you will see that the quote in question is: "It is to make sure that the one billion Office users have access to the high fidelity Office experience on every device they love to use." So the 'love' he appartently thinks Office users have is for a device, presumably in this case an iPad.
We could also discuss the appalling corporate marketing speak that is "Office experience". I suppose technically using Microsoft Office is an 'experience', just as cleaning your bathroom or buying some socks is an 'experience'. However, I'd prefer that the word is reserved for something less mundane than using a word processor (and I don't mean that to be any criticism of Office).

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
If you go back to my original post, you will see that the quote in question is: "It is to make sure that the one billion Office users have access to the high fidelity Office experience on every device they love to use." So the 'love' he appartently thinks Office users have is for a device, presumably in this case an iPad.
We could also discuss the appalling corporate marketing speak that is "Office experience". I suppose technically using Microsoft Office is an 'experience', just as cleaning your bathroom or buying some socks is an 'experience'. However, I'd prefer that the word is reserved for something less mundane than using a word processor (and I don't mean that to be any criticism of Office).

*shrugs* My bad. I still don't see anything negative about what he said.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Good news for some bad news for others: Office Mobile was updated for Android and iPhone. Biggest change you wont need Office 365 to use it anymore even better/worse: you wont need Office 365 to even edit Documents. Basically its completely free right now.

The proper use of punctuation in your comment would be very helpful.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
About the "loving" using Office, I think we take it for so granted. It's been around for so long and it's almost as basic to us as having a PC in the first place.

When you actually have a need for Office, try living without it for a year, you'll probably see that you might REALLY miss it (since you don't like talking about loving :p).

EDIT: Or if you were talking about "loving the device they use", well, I constantly say I love <insert product here>, most recently the Xbox One. It's a strong word, but I think you are overexaggerating anyways :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss