I'm nervous about getting a windows phone...

EauRouge

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
He brings up a valid point. OP, if being cool is important to you, don't get a WP device. WP isnt cool. And thats largely whats been hurting them the most. Look what happened to BlackBerry once it stopped being cool, and it was once THE coolest device to own!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I sometimes feel the same way. My WP runs good but am missing out on alot of official apps in which there no third party and no mobile site . And even then using mobile site aren't as efficient as using an app but I'm in the us....and WP here is " just better than black berry" which isn't saying much! I only wonder when these developer will decide to develop for WP? If they need more than 10-15% market share ......omg we won't be seeing theses apps for years. I do hate bouncing around os. And with these updates will kinda get wp closer to ios and android features but were still missing important apps and and apps we do have are not all up to par as ios and android version! I guess we wait it out till either we or Ms gives up on WP which I'm hoping they don't but you never know!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Is there also this weird problem where secs just aren't updating their windows phone apps? For example, I use slacker radio lately and the windows phone app doesn't seem to have received any of the updated slacker has done for the past year or so.
I believe many developers are waiting for WP8.1 before they update their apps.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
so since I can't really judge performance or hardware since this is a low end phone, should I just use it to get a feel for the OS and apps?

Windows Phone performs pretty well even on the 520, but just keep in mind that it's not in the same class as the mid to high end Lumias. I was using a Lumia 800 previously and while I like the 520, I do miss some things. For example, no LTE data speeds, weak camera with no "flash", and the screen is very reflective and mediocre compared to the amazing screen that my Lumia 800 had. So yes, I would focus on the OS and apps.

am I still going to easily be able to continue using my iPad and other non windows devices? Or is it going to get to s point where I'll replace the iPad with a surface or something?

The services you choose to use will play a big part in how well you can tie your devices together. You may someday decide that you WANT to replace your iPad with a Surface or other Windows device so that you get a more seamless and capable experience, but it isn't required. MS has been very good in recent years about making their services and software cross platform. Actually, it's Apple that attempts to lock their customers into their ecosystem with everything from proprietary charge cables and music/video formats to devices and standards that only work with their devices. Google in general is pretty open, but there have been several cases recently where Google has disabled/broken their services for competing platforms (Windows Phone has been the target more than once).

Some examples...

MS Skype vs. FaceTime/iMessage.
MS Xbox Smartglass or Windows 8.1 Miracast support vs. Apple TV or Google ChromeCast.
MS OneDrive vs. iCloud or Google Drive.
MS Office vs. iWork or Google Docs.

There are plenty more. Each of those MS services/products is either an open standard or available on nearly all competing platforms. On the other hand, the non-MS products have little or no availability on competing platforms.

So, what's probably the best windows phone on at&t right now? The 1520? Seems super huge

The 1520 is the newest flagship level phone and it is a very nice phone if you are into phablets. I'm not, so it's not really my thing. The Lumia 1020 and 925 are the "best normal size" phones on AT&T in my opinion. The Lumia 930 (rumored to be the same as the Verizon Lumia Icon) is supposed to be coming out very soon.

Is there a issue with speacilty apps? Like, I've never used uber (the car transport service) but I notice there isn't a uber app.

maybe I'm thinking too much of what I might use one day, instead of what I use now?

This is Windows Phone's weakest link. Most of the common apps are there, but some of the more specialized ones have not made it to Windows Phone yet. Personally, I'm not that big into apps and there is nothing left that I need that is missing from Windows Phone, but that isn't the case for everyone. Only you can decide what you need in a smart phone. Here are some things to consider though...

• In the beginning of the modern smartphone era, many apps were created on iPhone simply as a feature limited substitute for a full featured website because the iPhone browser experience was so poor and it couldn't render complex websites properly. Later, people just came to expect an app for everything and they seemed to have forgotten that this thing called the World Wide Web still exists. Windows Phone IE can render webpages as accurately as the desktop equivalent with the exception of websites that use Flash. In these cases, an app is not really needed on Windows Phone. Of course there are plenty of apps that do things that can't be done in a web app, but it's something to consider. For example, I have a somewhat regular need to check the marine weather forecast or tide info. I know some friends that "have an app for that" and Windows Phone has some too, but I don't bother with them because the webpage is bookmarked in my IE favorites and it does exactly what I need more quickly than an app.
  • Need vs. want. I'm not suggesting you limit the usefulness of your smart phone experience, but I do see a lot of people installing apps that are just silly time wasters and some of those people look down on Windows Phone because those same useless apps aren't available. I have seen people get talked out of trying Windows Phone the moment they find out one app isn't available even though they have no actual need for that particular app. For example, several months ago, before Instagram was available on Windows Phone, a lady I know got talked out of buying a Windows Phone because the sales guy told her Windows Phone doesn't have Instagram. She is 60+ years old, doesn't even know what Instagram is (still doesn't to this day), and she really wanted a Windows Phone when she entered the store. Anyway, my advice is to look at the big picture and don't base your entire decision on one app unless you REALLY NEED that app.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I just have a lot of confusion and anxiety about using windows phone.

My anxiety with windows phone comes from a few different things, most if which might be petty or wrong.

The fact that windows phone isn't very popular, has the least amount of market share , and is honestly the raw end of many jokes makes me nervous of investing my time, money, and energy with them. Because what if they just close shop one day in windows phone development? What if the apps never gets updated and supported? What if devs just up and leave the platform. The thing is, it seems like all these things might be happening!

It's a perception thing too. Perhaps my opinion has been clouded by others, but it's not like Microsoft is a "cool" company. It's a company has a lot if stigma.

It just makes me think if I got a windows phone I'd be making a mistake.

But I'm excited about what microsofts doing lately, more so then ice ever been before I think. I really like there new direction and want a device to enjoy that new direction and what it brings. And I like the UI of WP a ton and how it ties with Microsoft services.

I don't know, does anyone get where coming from and can offer feedback or advice?

(Note: I should mention I currently am using a 5S. )
The WP platform is still fairly young yet is growing very well considering it is invading territory that has already been claimed. iOS (and for the most part, Android) had an empty expanse of land to claim and grow. Still, I understand your concern about MS’s dedication to continue to grow the platform. It still has to make a name for itself and is swimming against the tide. You fear one day MS leadership will just say “Let’s drop WP let’s concentrate on core business and cut our losses.” I don’t think MS can afford to ignore the smartphone market.

The other issue, while I understand, is something that you’ll get over in time. Peer pressure and perception is really ridiculous when you think about it. What makes MS a cool company or not? Stripped from its PR and cute fuzzy commercials, all these companies are driven by the same thing: MONEY. They are all capitalist corporate entities driven by profits and shareholders and share the same core business ethics.

What makes Android or Apple cooler than MS?

This perception of MS being cool is one reason why developers have shunned WP. It’s pretty pathetic. It’s pretty much with most of MS’s products. IE still gets tons of unwarranted bad rap and is the **** of countless meme’s, yet IE 10 and 11 are absolute winsauce. Reputation and perception of WP is greatly unwarranted by the media, salesdopes and uneducated fanboys. And if somebody judges you by the type of PHONE you use, then at least you know how self-absorbed and ignorant they are. It’s a PHONE, who gives a s**t.

You say you may be making a mistake if you went with WP, but I say you’d be making a mistake if you didn’t. You can always go back if it doesn’t meet your needs.

mikebodo

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
One of the things I do like about iOS is that they seem to get a lot of really well polished apps for a lot if different things .And I'm nervous WP won't have that.

I still will keep my iPad because I want access to those apps and I think it's still probably the best tablet , but I don't think iphone is best for me anymore. I did have android before , a nexus 4, and I liked it. But I just don't really want to deal with all that micromanagement to get it to do what I want . It's why I liked iOS and why I'm looking at windows phone now .

I went from a Lumia 900 to 1020 and have been happy with both Windows Phones. I convinced my wife 7 months ago to ditch her Android phone, which was giving her all kinds of problems after nearly two years of use, for a Lumia 928 and it's been by far the best smartphone experience she's had. She thanks me to this day for recommending it, as she loves it's simplicity, looks, the fact that she can arrange the tiles on her home screen any size and position she wants and the fact that it's a rock-solid device that she hardly ever has to reboot. I can vouch for the same.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I recently ditched my iPhone 5 for a Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 920) - turned out to be the best phone I've ever had. I like the fact they're different and people comment on it all the time - if you like people coming up and asking, "hey - what's that phone you're using; looks badass" - I reckon you can't get much cooler than that.

I liked it so much I went and bought a first-gen Microsoft Surface Pro to complement it. I'll be getting an Xbox One to complete the set when Microsoft sort out the TV functionality in the UK and there are some games for it.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone performs pretty well even on the 520, but just keep in mind that it's not in the same class as the mid to high end Lumias. I was using a Lumia 800 previously and while I like the 520, I do miss some things. For example, no LTE data speeds, weak camera with no "flash", and the screen is very reflective and mediocre compared to the amazing screen that my Lumia 800 had. So yes, I would focus on the OS and apps.

The services you choose to use will play a big part in how well you can tie your devices together. You may someday decide that you WANT to replace your iPad with a Surface or other Windows device so that you get a more seamless and capable experience, but it isn't required. MS has been very good in recent years about making their services and software cross platform. Actually, it's Apple that attempts to lock their customers into their ecosystem with everything from proprietary charge cables and music/video formats to devices and standards that only work with their devices. Google in general is pretty open, but there have been several cases recently where Google has disabled/broken their services for competing platforms (Windows Phone has been the target more than once).

Some examples...

MS Skype vs. FaceTime/iMessage.
MS Xbox Smartglass or Windows 8.1 Miracast support vs. Apple TV or Google ChromeCast.
MS OneDrive vs. iCloud or Google Drive.
MS Office vs. iWork or Google Docs.

There are plenty more. Each of those MS services/products is either an open standard or available on nearly all competing platforms. On the other hand, the non-MS products have little or no availability on competing platforms.

The 1520 is the newest flagship level phone and it is a very nice phone if you are into phablets. I'm not, so it's not really my thing. The Lumia 1020 and 925 are the "best normal size" phones on AT&T in my opinion. The Lumia 930 (rumored to be the same as the Verizon Lumia Icon) is supposed to be coming out very soon.

This is Windows Phone's weakest link. Most of the common apps are there, but some of the more specialized ones have not made it to Windows Phone yet. Personally, I'm not that big into apps and there is nothing left that I need that is missing from Windows Phone, but that isn't the case for everyone. Only you can decide what you need in a smart phone. Here are some things to consider though...

• In the beginning of the modern smartphone era, many apps were created on iPhone simply as a feature limited substitute for a full featured website because the iPhone browser experience was so poor and it couldn't render complex websites properly. Later, people just came to expect an app for everything and they seemed to have forgotten that this thing called the World Wide Web still exists. Windows Phone IE can render webpages as accurately as the desktop equivalent with the exception of websites that use Flash. In these cases, an app is not really needed on Windows Phone. Of course there are plenty of apps that do things that can't be done in a web app, but it's something to consider. For example, I have a somewhat regular need to check the marine weather forecast or tide info. I know some friends that "have an app for that" and Windows Phone has some too, but I don't bother with them because the webpage is bookmarked in my IE favorites and it does exactly what I need more quickly than an app.
  • Need vs. want. I'm not suggesting you limit the usefulness of your smart phone experience, but I do see a lot of people installing apps that are just silly time wasters and some of those people look down on Windows Phone because those same useless apps aren't available. I have seen people get talked out of trying Windows Phone the moment they find out one app isn't available even though they have no actual need for that particular app. For example, several months ago, before Instagram was available on Windows Phone, a lady I know got talked out of buying a Windows Phone because the sales guy told her Windows Phone doesn't have Instagram. She is 60+ years old, doesn't even know what Instagram is (still doesn't to this day), and she really wanted a Windows Phone when she entered the store. Anyway, my advice is to look at the big picture and don't base your entire decision on one app unless you REALLY NEED that app.

We'll, the thing is I don't want to feel forced to buy other Microsoft products if I don't feel like they're as good or better than the competition. By this I mean that I don't want to feel I have to choose a surface if I find the iPad still to be better, I have to choose a xbox one as my main console if I think the ps4 is better, and that I need to buy a PC instead of a Mac if I don't think pcs are better. I don't want to feel that I can't have choice other than Microsoft devices because things don't mesh well.

I'm not saying I don't want to try surface, but from what I hear it's still not as good as the iPad. I fully plan on getting a xbox one some day, but I honestly thinknps4 is a better games machine right now. Plus, ps4 has better graphics thus far than the one. And even though I do already own a PC, I might find Mac better. Who knows.

I want my liking of products to be because I legitimately like them, not because I feel I have to get them over others.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
We'll, the thing is I don't want to feel forced to buy other Microsoft products if I don't feel like they're as good or better than the competition. By this I mean that I don't want to feel I have to choose a surface if I find the iPad still to be better, I have to choose a xbox one as my main console if I think the ps4 is better, and that I need to buy a PC instead of a Mac if I don't think pcs are better. I don't want to feel that I can't have choice other than Microsoft devices because things don't mesh well.

I'm not saying I don't want to try surface, but from what I hear it's still not as good as the iPad. I fully plan on getting a xbox one some day, but I honestly thinknps4 is a better games machine right now. Plus, ps4 has better graphics thus far than the one. And even though I do already own a PC, I might find Mac better. Who knows.

I want my liking of products to be because I legitimately like them, not because I feel I have to get them over others.

First off, glad you came here to WPC for this advice. Kinda cool we get to brag on our devices and give advice. We appreciate that!!

But, seriously, I see NO WAY you will end up with something you do not like, or that you will be forced into an ecosystem you do not want. Why do I say that? I read your posts. You are making a serious decision and taking it seriously. You are asking all the questions on your mind, getting advice, trying out devices, the whole bit.

Take the L520, and judge the WP basic UI and operation. If you like it on the lower end device, you will love it on the higher end ones. As far as the ecosystem goes, MS will NEVER be Apple. Of course they want you to buy a Surface, use a WP, sign up on Outlook, and use their services. But, there is more and more cross-platform services coming from MS every year, and if you want to keep your iPad you will be able to. You will need to adjust how you do things, but you will just having a WP anyways.

My only 2 pieces of advice:

1) Keep doing what you are doing. Outside of setting up an Outlook account to back up your contacts, see how everything balances out. If you decide to stick with WP, you will find the balance of how you want to do things over time.

2) Relax. You got this. I stinking wish everyone was as thorough as you in making purchases.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
It's curious that you're worried about choosing Windows Phone because of stigma. If anything, Android and iOS are getting targeted far, far more by critics and haters, while Windows Phone is just out on the sidelines doing it's thing.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Really? Where? Are you reading the same press everyone else is that praises ios and android at every turn?

What I see is Android sites and fans constantly stomping over Apple and iOS at every slightest opportunity and vice versa. For better or worse, Windows Phone simply doesn't get brought up, at least not anywhere near as often. And of those few times, all too often I hear Windows Phone being the "At least it's not Apple/Android"...

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
For your fears, I think Microsoft won't do the same mistake of removing support for WP7 phones (this time, for WP 8). And MS got a great service-CEO, which means the company may focus more on services (like software and OS'es) and less on the hardware part.

I am not an iPhone fan but 5S is also a magnificent piece of smartphone. But if you're not comfortable with compromises that come with its OS, there's little to fear for WP8. :)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't miss iPhone, but I couldn't handle WP by itself. Went Android and loving it. But if you choose to go WP you have to accept that you are going to have to make compromises. Essentially your eco-system will be third place in a two eco-system race, apps that are all the rage today will either not be on WP at all, or will come so late it won't matter. Said apps will have much less updating and by result be missing functionality found in their Android and iOS counterparts, and local apps you may want like your bank, your local news, or local restaurants or businesses are highly likely not going to be there.

Later this month Windows Phone will leap into 2011 and finally release a voice assistant and notification menu, just the most recent examples of compromise you have to make with this platform.

Mind you, I'm not saying WP sucks, or you shouldn't go for it. Actually I am a fan of it. I think the UI is beautiful, the Nokia hardware is awesome and well done, and the interface is slick and smooth and well polished.

I want WP to succeed, but until Microsoft gets proactive on features and innovation rather than reactive to what Android and iPhone have done, it won't.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
First off, glad you came here to WPC for this advice. Kinda cool we get to brag on our devices and give advice. We appreciate that!!

But, seriously, I see NO WAY you will end up with something you do not like, or that you will be forced into an ecosystem you do not want. Why do I say that? I read your posts. You are making a serious decision and taking it seriously. You are asking all the questions on your mind, getting advice, trying out devices, the whole bit.

Take the L520, and judge the WP basic UI and operation. If you like it on the lower end device, you will love it on the higher end ones. As far as the ecosystem goes, MS will NEVER be Apple. Of course they want you to buy a Surface, use a WP, sign up on Outlook, and use their services. But, there is more and more cross-platform services coming from MS every year, and if you want to keep your iPad you will be able to. You will need to adjust how you do things, but you will just having a WP anyways.

My only 2 pieces of advice:

1) Keep doing what you are doing. Outside of setting up an Outlook account to back up your contacts, see how everything balances out. If you decide to stick with WP, you will find the balance of how you want to do things over time.

2) Relax. You got this. I stinking wish everyone was as thorough as you in making purchases.

We'll, thank you. :) I'm trying to think this out as much as I can. Some even say I think too much, ha ha .

A emergency kinda came up where I needed cash and I had to return the 520. I'll more than likely pick one up again shortly. Good thing is they are widely available.

Anyway, I think I'm sold on everything about the phone except the app situation . And it's not just app availability, it's the apps being actualy updated. A lot of apps I use seem haven't had their windows phone version updated in what looks like months or even years . Slacker dosent have their new UI, spotify was updated for months, and etc. really, that's kinda the killer.

I want to watch the full build conference, but from what I've seen WP 8.1 seems pretty rad. Although most features are things iOS/android have had for scwhile , it's still great to see.

Who know, perhaps I'll use windows phone, keep my iPad/use a android tablet, use a windows PC, and get a surface as a laptop replacement. Assuming all this things could coincide together.

My issue is I think I'm influenced to much by podcast era or others things like that . I listen to many different podcasts about iOS, android, and am now listening to windows/windows phone podcasts. And there is so many different opinions in these (iOS podcast era talking why they hate windows, windows casters talking why they hate macs and iphone, android hosts talking their issues with windows phone or iOS, and infinite combinations of the three, it make my head spin trying to decide what to use. I want to be a educated consumer, and listen to different ideas, but it seems like all three of these things suck, lol.

Anyway, hopefully I make the correct choices.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
On Friday I'll probably pick up the 520 again. I didn't have enough time with it really. A lot of what I saw today at build excited me .

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The WP platform is still fairly young yet is growing very well considering it is invading territory that has already been claimed. iOS (and for the most part, Android) had an empty expanse of land to claim and grow. Still, I understand your concern about MS’s dedication to continue to grow the platform. It still has to make a name for itself and is swimming against the tide. You fear one day MS leadership will just say “Let’s drop WP let’s concentrate on core business and cut our losses.” I don’t think MS can afford to ignore the smartphone market.

The other issue, while I understand, is something that you’ll get over in time. Peer pressure and perception is really ridiculous when you think about it. What makes MS a cool company or not? Stripped from its PR and cute fuzzy commercials, all these companies are driven by the same thing: MONEY. They are all capitalist corporate entities driven by profits and shareholders and share the same core business ethics.

This perception of MS being cool is one reason why developers have shunned WP. It’s pretty pathetic. It’s pretty much with most of MS’s products. IE still gets tons of unwarranted bad rap and is the **** of countless meme’s, yet IE 10 and 11 are absolute winsauce. Reputation and perception of WP is greatly unwarranted by the media, salesdopes and uneducated fanboys. And if somebody judges you by the type of PHONE you use, then at least you know how self-absorbed and ignorant they are. It’s a PHONE, who gives a s**t.

You say you may be making a mistake if you went with WP, but I say you’d be making a mistake if you didn’t. You can always go back if it doesn’t meet your needs.

Yeah . If I did get it on a contract and didn't like it , I can always go back to iOS I guess. :) part of me thinks I'm not going to know until I just bite the bullet and try . I'm not sure how much I can get from a 520 as opposed to just getting a higher end lumia.

MicrosoftFoLife

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Well all of the things you're talking about are app and software related. Microsoft is an app and software company before they're a hardware company. They started on software and that's their bread and butter. That shouldn't be a worry.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

Well all of the things you're talking about are app and software related. Microsoft is an app and software company before they're a hardware company. They started on software and that's their bread and butter. That shouldn't be a worry.

But do they have much of a say of who's going to make and update apps though? They can really only control THEIR apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786