I'm nervous about getting a windows phone...

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The app situation is improving rapidly. They went from 200k apps to 245k in just a couple of months. The pace has picked up tremendously, and will accelerate with the WP8.1 SDK and the new API's that will allow a lot more of the niche apps to work, and a lot of the "less features than iOS/Android version" apps to reach feature parity. The 520 is a good way to really get into the OS and see what happens with it without having to over commit. We are already starting to get release parody on a lot of new apps and games (WPC just had a couple games on their pages during the past week that are releasing on all three platforms at the same time). This will become much more common as MS is providing some of the best development tools in the world with the ability to easily port your apps. Plus, the Universal Apps program will drive developers to target WP8.1, WinRT, and Window 8.1 with the same application with minor tweaks for UI and scaled elements/graphics. Kind of hard, as a developer, to pass up that large of a market with a write once use everywhere type tool.

Look at how many features they've rolled into WP since it's release some odd 18 months ago and imagine where they will be just 18 months from now.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The app situation is improving rapidly. They went from 200k apps to 245k in just a couple of months. The pace has picked up tremendously, and will accelerate with the WP8.1 SDK and the new API's that will allow a lot more of the niche apps to work, and a lot of the "less features than iOS/Android version" apps to reach feature parity. The 520 is a good way to really get into the OS and see what happens with it without having to over commit. We are already starting to get release parody on a lot of new apps and games (WPC just had a couple games on their pages during the past week that are releasing on all three platforms at the same time). This will become much more common as MS is providing some of the best development tools in the world with the ability to easily port your apps. Plus, the Universal Apps program will drive developers to target WP8.1, WinRT, and Window 8.1 with the same application with minor tweaks for UI and scaled elements/graphics. Kind of hard, as a developer, to pass up that large of a market with a write once use everywhere type tool.

Look at how many features they've rolled into WP since it's release some odd 18 months ago and imagine where they will be just 18 months from now.

Hope so. Like I said, I'm interested in the platform a lot. The only sticking point was wether apps were going to keep getting support.

Really , the apps I use on a regular day are a podcasting app, twitter, YouTube, last pass, spotify, Netflix, Dropbox, Wells Fargo mobile app,
And Evernote occasionally. And it seems like the first part for for are there, and if not third party apps exist that people seem to like.

I do still like trying new apps. Though. And I'm assuming WP still gets those gems occasionally, no?

guillams

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
In my country, local service lacks on windows phone but even that I use it and I'm pretty glad with with, for those services as bank, I just pin the website to my home screen, I've been on android and iPhone till I tested the Samsung focus, after that I'll never get back!
So eventually all those missing app gonna come to the platform which is growing pretty fast even here!

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So my buddy's actually going to let me use his old lumia 920. That's a pretty good device, right? Seems like a better phone to try out the platform than the 520.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It has low current market share because it is a newer OS. Although technically out since 2010 with WP7, there seemed to me to be no real advertising from MS, and more of a beta product (certainly here in the UK anyway)

That at least is not true. WP7 had a lot of advertising in the UK, both directly from Microsoft and via retailers advertising Windows Phones. I often sat in carriages on the London Underground which had only WP advertisements... it was very bad advertising, promoting features such as the combined messaging which was already available on other phones, but nevertheless MS did put a lot of effort and money into promotion right from the early days.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any recommended apps?

MetroTube - YouTube client. Also available on Windows 8.
Weave - News reader. Also available on Windows 8.
PackageTracker - It tracks packages. I buy a lot of stuff online. Also available on Windows 8.

Microsoft OneNote - Similar to Evernote, cross platform, built in to Windows Phone, Windows, Office, etc.
Microsoft OneDrive - Cloud storage, cross platform, built in to Windows Phone, Windows, Office, etc.

Photosynth - Photo stitching program.
Top Task List - To do, shopping lists, etc.
Office Lens - Document scanning with your phone.
MoliPlayer Pro - Video player.

Most of the rest of my apps are pretty specific to stuff I own/do so I'll leave it at that, but I would take a look at these if you have a need for any of them.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I was able to borrow my friends 920. And he is in the process of selling it on Craig's list. He's asking 150 dollars. It's in rather good shape. I might just buy it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I was able to borrow my friends 920. And he is in the process of selling it on Craig's list. He's asking 150 dollars. It's in rather good shape. I might just buy it.

I've read every post on this thread, but since it's been going on for awhile I don't recall everything. :wink: Are you in the US and on AT&T? If so, and if this 920 is an AT&T version, $150 is high. I bought a like new red 920 that came with original box & accessories for $125 several months ago. This was on Craigslist as well. You shouldn't have to pay more than $100 unless it's factory unlocked. Even then, I've never been an AT&T customer (I use an AT&T MVNO) and I was easily able to get the SIM unlock code directly from AT&T. YMMV.

valeriolucciola

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think you would be happy with a windows phone--especially with the new features being added in windows phone 8.1. Let me hit a few highlights.

1. Similar high level security as your iPhone. The OS architecture is built on security. With so many security issues in the 90's, Microsoft changed gears and focused on security at the expense of all other product development. They practically wrote the book on quick patches and updates to solve vulnerabilities. But beyond that, the winRT OS on which windows phone 8 is based on the same principles as iOS. Google's Android OS is more like winXP. You can pretty much do anything you want to customize the phone but at the expense that someone else can easily gain the same access with the lax app publication process. With iOS and WP8, Apple and Microsoft validate the apps so you know they are safe.

2. Syncronization If you like how iCloud works you will likewise enjoy how windows phone utilizes OneDrive. You can backup your documents and settings to OneDrive and access your files in other places. So, for example, you use OneNote or Office on your iPad, you will be able to see those files on your windows phone and even edit them if you need to. It's admittedly more difficult to edit office docs on a phone but setting up a shopping list on your windows phone using OneNote is awesome. Furthermore, if you use your iPad to make notes on OneNote, it automatically syncs with OneDrive meaning that if you are on your windows phone you will be able to pull that note and review it elsewhere. You can even access those notes through your web browser on a computer if need be like you would be able to with iCloud.

3. The App Situation Most people are concerned with the apps on windows phone. I agree that the apps are not as I would like but I anticipate everything getting better. Most of the apps you need you can find. The apps are not always identical to apps on iOS or on Android but I don't think it's because app developers don't want to be on windows phone. I think it has more to do with older polices that added overhead costs to developers like pricey developer licenses and a lack of integration with windows RT (two different stores and development paths that will soon be similar or the same). With android and iOS, you can make an app for a phone and allow it to scale up on an iPad so you build one app and it works on both. Windows phone and windows 8 haven't been like that but will be soon. Consequently, the frustrations that a lot of app developers think about when they have to build a windows phone app are gradually being removed. I think with the new leadership at Microsoft you will see an improvement of the app situation.

Like many others have pointed out though, the app situation is also not quite a "situation." You can pretty much find an app to do what you want if you need one. Just think about it. When there's a gap in the app system, new app developers who see a need jump to make a name for themselves by creating 3rd party apps that rival even the 1st party apps on other phones. Rudy Huyn, for example, has made several 3rd party apps that people love. I know his name because he has capitalized on the slow pace of 1st party developers. You might miss some niche apps but you may also find someone who makes a better version of that niche app too.

4. People Hub and Account Integration This last one is probably my absolute favorite aspect of the phone. I can sign into multiple accounts like Facebook, Skype, outlook, Google, yahoo, and etc. and I can see everything about a person in one place. For example, I may have said something to my friend but I can't remember if I said it by phone, Facebook chat, text message, email, or etc. but I can go into the People Hub, find their name, look in the history and see all my recent activity with them. I can see my Facebook and text messages right there and review them. I can see if they called me before or after I sent them a particular email or after a certain Facebook or text message was sent. I can see the most recent emails from just that person without having to go into my email app and search for them. Plus, I can pin their profile to my start screen and I will get a notification if they send me anything on any of my accounts. Likewise, I can make a group for people like my family or coworkers and pin that to the start menu and then I will see if any of them have sent me anything on the same live tile.

And none of that is even getting into the hardware differences. From a 5S you will likely get a bigger screen (although maybe not the same resolution), a more durable phone, and a better camera. I've lost count of the number of iPhones I've seen with cracked screens (5C, 5, and 5S) included. My Lumia 920 fell face down from 3 feet onto a tile floor without a scratch. I've also dropped it out of my pocket a time or two without issue (I have a thin incipio case). You will find others on the forums with similar experiences or even worse.

I think if you get a windows phone you should be nervous because it is a new phone with new things to learn but you'd have the same situation getting an Android phone or upgrading to a new OS. However, I don't think you will be disappointed with your new phone as long as you go into it with an open mind. It's not going to be iOS and there will likely be things you miss about iOS on windows phone but you will likely find new things on windows phone you wished iOS had.

Good luck and I hope I've been helpful

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So I ran into my first "bummer" moment with windows phone. A site that I frequent isn't supported by the windows phone IE browser. I tweeted one of the creators of the site why their site wasn't working and he stared that they don't support the WP version of explorer because it would take alot of effort and their is not enough WP users to warrant it. :(

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So I ran into my first "bummer" moment with windows phone. A site that I frequent isn't supported by the windows phone IE browser. I tweeted one of the creators of the site why their site wasn't working and he stared that they don't support the WP version of explorer because it would take alot of effort and their is not enough WP users to warrant it. :(

Sounds like a very lazy webmaster\creator.
Attitudes like that = less site hits

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't make sense to me. I've never been unable to visit a site just because I'm using the WP IE browser. I can't imagine all the rinky dink websites I've visited with my mobile phone put a lot of effort into accommodating WP users.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
That doesn't make sense to me. I've never been unable to visit a site just because I'm using the WP IE browser. I can't imagine all the rinky dink websites I've visited with my mobile phone put a lot of effort into accommodating WP users.

the website loads, its just the layout is busted and all over the place on WP.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
well, if they barely get WP users viewing the site and it would be hard or expensive to support it, i could understand that.

BTW, what website was that?

And man, I gotta say, you've a really cool username. And are one of the most sensible people I've seen around in a long time. I'm gonna recommend you some apps right now (but I'm an Indian college student, so my taste may not coincide with yours, but still, have a look):

Adidas MiCoach - Personal trainer app (the app is free but you may consider buying some accesories for better use) OR TRY RUNTASTIC.
Adobe Reader
Bing News
Amazing Weather HD
Cam Scanner - The best scanner out there
Metro Tube - It's a great youtube client
Nextgen Reader - It simply is the best RSS and news reader out there. Give the trial version a hit before purchasing though.
Nokia Cinemagraph - Really cool photography app (Can add motion into a still photo shot using it)
Onefootball - The best app for soccer updates (scores, news, videos)
Podcast Lounge - The best podcast app I could get my hands on
Wikipedia by Rudy Huyn - A beautiful wikipedia client
Moli Player PRO - A very powerful video player

May you have a great time with us.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
the website loads, its just the layout is busted and all over the place on WP.

Strange--sorry to hear that.

I have a 920 as well and a few of my favorite apps are:

At Bat
Baconit (Reddit)
Bing apps
Chase Mobile
ESPN Hub
GasBuddy
HERE Drive+
iHeartRadio
OneNote
Pandora
Priceline-Hotels
Runtastic PRO
Snow Report
SoundHound
Trailhead
United
VEVO
Weather
Wells Fargo
Windows Phone Insider
Zinio

Good luck!

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
BTW, what website was that?

And man, I gotta say, you've a really cool username. And are one of the most sensible people I've seen around in a long time. I'm gonna recommend you some apps right now (but I'm an Indian college student, so my taste may not coincide with yours, but still, have a look):

Adidas MiCoach - Personal trainer app (the app is free but you may consider buying some accesories for better use) OR TRY RUNTASTIC.
Adobe Reader
Bing News
Amazing Weather HD
Cam Scanner - The best scanner out there
Metro Tube - It's a great youtube client
Nextgen Reader - It simply is the best RSS and news reader out there. Give the trial version a hit before purchasing though.
Nokia Cinemagraph - Really cool photography app (Can add motion into a still photo shot using it)
Onefootball - The best app for soccer updates (scores, news, videos)
Podcast Lounge - The best podcast app I could get my hands on
Wikipedia by Rudy Huyn - A beautiful wikipedia client
Moli Player PRO - A very powerful video player

May you have a great time with us.

well thank you:) and the site was Tested

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, the good news is that IE 11, which has been worked extensively to meet web standards and bring in HTML 5 and GL up to par, will be included with WP8.1. So your site will likely work just fine with it, assuming the site is being made with web standards. From the look of the site, it's probably just some CSS code that IE 10 is having issues with, that will likely be fine in the new browser. I looked at the page source and it's pretty standard CSS stuff, but I know, back when I was doing my own site, that IE had issues certain CSS elements not lining up correctly. I looks like it's not respecting the boundaries of the header class. I haven't looked at their style sheet to see what they are doing in that, but I would bet what they are doing has some issues on IE 10 mobile. Not sure if the desktop browser and mobile browser share the same interpreter, but IE 11 desktop formats the site perfectly, so there's hope.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, the good news is that IE 11, which has been worked extensively to meet web standards and bring in HTML 5 and GL up to par, will be included with WP8.1. So your site will likely work just fine with it, assuming the site is being made with web standards. From the look of the site, it's probably just some CSS code that IE 10 is having issues with, that will likely be fine in the new browser. I looked at the page source and it's pretty standard CSS stuff, but I know, back when I was doing my own site, that IE had issues certain CSS elements not lining up correctly. I looks like it's not respecting the boundaries of the header class. I haven't looked at their style sheet to see what they are doing in that, but I would bet what they are doing has some issues on IE 10 mobile. Not sure if the desktop browser and mobile browser share the same interpreter, but IE 11 desktop formats the site perfectly, so there's hope.

Wow, awesome insights :)

I hope so, I love that site.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte