I'm nervous about getting a windows phone...

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I also checked out that site on my Lumia 520, it doesn't render properly. (BTW, this is the first time I've encountered such a thing. :straight:)

I also checked it on the desktop version of IE 10, and it renders perfectly on it. I dunno what's the cause. :unhappysweat:

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I also checked out that site on my Lumia 520, it doesn't render properly. (BTW, this is the first time I've encountered such a thing. :straight:)

I also checked it on the desktop version of IE 10, and it renders perfectly on it. I dunno what's the cause. :unhappysweat:

Same here. First time I have seen WP IE mangle a website like that.

Since version 9, IE has actually been very good at standards compliance. Unfortunately, there are some pretty bad web developers out there that do some really dumb stuff. For example...

• Implementing HTML functionality in public websites before the functionality has actually been officially added to the HTML standards.
  • Writing special code to treat certain browsers (often IE or mobile IE) differently with rules based on the behavior of very old versions of IE.
  • Writing code that targets their personal favorite browser instead of sticking to standards compliant code and testing in all major browsers.

I ran that website through the W3C HTML validator and it gave up processing the site's main page after the first 6 critical errors. That was all before the opening <body> tag. :straight:

[Invalid] Markup Validation of [url]http://www.tested.com/ - W3C Markup Validator[/url]

"Cannot recover after last error. Any further errors will be ignored."

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, some more observations after 2 days of using it:

im finding the metro UI a little hard to get used to in apps. I'm used to the apps having a layout like ios or android, but WP app do that scrolling to the side thing to access different categories or areas of the app. Noticed this in the amazon app for example.

this might just be apo to app, but im noticing that im having to doca fair bit more of inputs to do stuff. I'll use acecanple if podcasts. I'm using I podcasts right now, and im order to download podcasts I need to not only be subscribed to the podcast, but I need into select which podcast to que up for download by pressing a button that will make check boxes appear, then once i have the ones I want to send to the que, I hit confirm. Then I have to go to those ones on the main page and check box all the ones that will then finally download. This is incredibly stupid. Its about 3 steps that aren't necessary. Again, I hope it was just this app.

also, alot of these apps just don't seem very pretty or look like they haven't been touched in a while. I noticed this in apps like Spotify, tune in radio, and slacker. Also I notice alot of official apps have low star reviews because people are complaining they ceased being updated or they crash.

and it might just be the 920s screen, but certain things like icons seem blurry. Like the thumbnail image for the app. Again, is this due to the 920s sub 1080p screen?

HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY IS THERE NO OFFICIAL DROP BOX APP!?

now, the things like:

again the start screen and UI. Glance is really cool and so is double tap to wake up the phone. And now that I found out about the app folders thing in liking that as well.

considering this phone in using is well over a year old in surprised how smooth it is. And build quality is great. But I'm curious how ill get repairs dive if the phone does get damaged. There's no applestore equivalent far as I know of.

wireless charging is super brat. Never owned a phone with it.

so, I think maybe some if my negative points were just weird adjustments using something I've never used before for just two days. Obviously I need more time with the phone to make any kind of judgment, but I'm seeing the app thing being a possible negative that may stick. I'm not sure.

I need to at least use the phone until 8.1 hits, because that's such a major update. In fact, maybe I can't make any fair assessments UNTIL that hits.

Last edited:

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
You'll have to ask Dropbox, but the answer is probably "we are working on it" or "we don't care about Windows Phone." It always seems to be one of those two answers. Hopefully it is the first one because I do like Dropbox as a product/service (even though it's my second choice).

Having said that, I would give OneDrive (aka SkyDrive) a look for a few reasons...

• It's at the top of the list of "cross platform" cloud storage services and runs on Windows, Mac, Web, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows Tablet, and Xbox.
  • It's integrated into all current generation MS products (Windows 8.1, WP, Office 2013, Xbox) and many apps on those platforms have functionality that utilizes OneDrive built in. This means you don't have to install/configure it on any of those devices and it's much more seamless on those devices compared to third party solutions. For example, it you put some folders with pictures in your OneDrive they will automatically show up as albums in the "Photos" app on Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox. When you take a picture with your Windows Phone it will automatically upload it to your OneDrive (if that option is enabled). No more synching and copying pictures to all of your devices.
  • It has a web based version of office built in which is handy when you need to work with documents on a computer that doesn't have Office installed.
  • As a Windows Phone user you get 10GB of storage free, you can get more by referring people or just through random rewards, and their paid upgrades are near the top of the competition in GB/$.

It's already there (it's part of your MS account) and the first 10GB are free so you might as well try it for a while and see if you like the experience more. You can log in here: https://onedrive.live.com/

Some random cloud storage comparisons...

Cloud Storage Comparison Guide
The Best Cloud Storage Solutions | PCMag.com

... im finding the metro UI a little hard to get used to in apps. I'm used to the apps having a layout like ios or android, but WP app do that scrolling to the side thing to access different categories or areas of the app. Noticed this in the amazon app for example. ...

You get used to it. I have the opposite experience. The Metro UI seems very natural to me and when I get on other platforms I try to swipe to the side or similar. Of course that is because I'm used to it. I do agree that the Amazon Mobile app is organized in a strange way though. I don't use it a lot, but it's not as intuitive as it could be.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Regarding Dropbox, here is an unofficial client made by Rudy Huyn. CloudSix for Dropbox | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) (CloudSix)
im pretty sure this is as close to official dropbox as it gets. For me its too little too late though, i really like onedrive integration with WP and W8.1, and its my primary cloud storage now. I use dropbox because i still have stuff there, but i don't add anything into it anymore. Now with onedrive supporting camera upload on android, and 7+3 GB out of the box, there's really no benefits from dropbox, except its shared folders. Try cloud6 or onedrive.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
You'll have to ask Dropbox, but the answer is probably "we are working on it" or "we don't care about Windows Phone." It always seems to be one of those two answers. Hopefully it is the first one because I do like Dropbox as a product/service (even though it's my second choice).

Having said that, I would give OneDrive (aka SkyDrive) a look for a few reasons...

• It's at the top of the list of "cross platform" cloud storage services and runs on Windows, Mac, Web, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows Tablet, and Xbox.
  • It's integrated into all current generation MS products (Windows 8.1, WP, Office 2013, Xbox) and many apps on those platforms have functionality that utilizes OneDrive built in. This means you don't have to install/configure it on any of those devices and it's much more seamless on those devices compared to third party solutions. For example, it you put some folders with pictures in your OneDrive they will automatically show up as albums in the "Photos" app on Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox. When you take a picture with your Windows Phone it will automatically upload it to your OneDrive (if that option is enabled). No more synching and copying pictures to all of your devices.
  • It has a web based version of office built in which is handy when you need to work with documents on a computer that doesn't have Office installed.
  • As a Windows Phone user you get 10GB of storage free, you can get more by referring people or just through random rewards, and their paid upgrades are near the top of the competition in GB/$.

It's already there (it's part of your MS account) and the first 10GB are free so you might as well try it for a while and see if you like the experience more. You can log in here: https://onedrive.live.com/

Some random cloud storage comparisons...

Cloud Storage Comparison Guide
The Best Cloud Storage Solutions | PCMag.com

You get used to it. I have the opposite experience. The Metro UI seems very natural to me and when I get on other platforms I try to swipe to the side or similar. Of course that is because I'm used to it. I do agree that the Amazon Mobile app is organized in a strange way though. I don't use it a lot, but it's not as intuitive as it could be.

oh yeah, I'm definetly using one drive as well. Always liked that I got 10 gbs free. Started using it on my iPhone a month or so ago.

I don't know, I should give it more time, but I'm hesitant to make this my main platform. I'm uneasy of the dev support and etc. going forward. I'd feel like id be using the platform and relying on hope that it'll improve soon. Which probably isn't the best mindset to have when deciding on a platform
I should reemphasis that these concerns come mostly from a app standpoint.i like the other stuff over all. I should wait for 8.1 before anything, though. But the app thing will still be a issue even when 8.1 hits

Last edited:

ccaballero

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
yup, and I downloaded that one. But still, drop box has a official on practical everything. Why not WP? heck there might even be a official app on BB10.
I guess that there's an official app for windows 8, so, MAYBE they will port it as an universal app for WP. We should wait and see.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have any battery life tips. Still don't seem to be getting amazing battery life on the 920.

BTW, how much is your battery able to last on an average?

Charge your phone to 100%, and then don't use it too much (NO GAMING AND BROWSING FOR LONG TIMES) and drain the battery completely until the phone switches off. Repeat the cycle for somewhere between 3 and 5 times.
The trick is to not charge it while it doesn't drop to sub-10% levels (unless you really have to).
Takes a hell lot of control, but hey, I now get about 15 to 13 hours with Mobile Data (2G) always on, WiFi (about 3 hours daily), downloads (about 100MB a day), gaming for about 30 mins daily.
Earlier it used to last just about 9 to 10 hours.

Apart from it: (Assuming you don't use the phone for office purposes)
1. Try using WiFi instead of Mobile Data.
2. Turning off Double Tap To Wake does help.
3. Keep 'location' off when not needed.
4. Try closing down some Background Tasks (by swiping to the right on the Settings page, the first option.)
5. Set the brightness to automatically adjust itself.
6. Set your email to sync less often (or better still, use to "Sync as email arrives" option for hotmail (outlook, live) accounts.
7. Set the lock screen to timeout at 1min.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Some great tips here. Don't forget to turn off the Bluetooth and tap and send when not using it, as well as only keeping data on when you need it. I can go for 2 to 3 days on my 920 using this, with light use. Even when everything is turned on I can get a good day and a half with moderate use.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Some great tips here. Don't forget to turn off the Bluetooth and tap and send when not using it, as well as only keeping data on when you need it. I can go for 2 to 3 days on my 920 using this, with light use. Even when everything is turned on I can get a good day and a half with moderate use.

Yeah that bluetooth is one sucker for battery. Check out http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...e-battery-data-wifi-what-about-bluetooth.html
But how can you GET MORE THAN A DAY OF USE!!! Teach me master. :excited:
And remember to turn off the automatically connect to WiFi hotspots too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion