I'm nervous about getting a windows phone...

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I just have a lot of confusion and anxiety about using windows phone.

My anxiety with windows phone comes from a few different things, most if which might be petty or wrong.

The fact that windows phone isn't very popular, has the least amount of market share , and is honestly the raw end of many jokes makes me nervous of investing my time, money, and energy with them. Because what if they just close shop one day in windows phone development? What if the apps never gets updated and supported? What if devs just up and leave the platform. The thing is, it seems like all these things might be happening!

It's a perception thing too. Perhaps my opinion has been clouded by others, but it's not like Microsoft is a "cool" company. It's a company has a lot if stigma.

It just makes me think if I got a windows phone I'd be making a mistake.

But I'm excited about what microsofts doing lately, more so then ice ever been before I think. I really like there new direction and want a device to enjoy that new direction and what it brings. And I like the UI of WP a ton and how it ties with Microsoft services.

I don't know, does anyone get where coming from and can offer feedback or advice?

(Note: I should mention I currently am using a 5S. )

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Too bad we don't have "loaner" phones or a really real virtual on-line UI experience for test driving.
Pretty difficult to tip someone on the edge into going for the platform without giving a potential real user experience.

HarkAtYou

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I was worried about the app situation when I switched from apple. But for the most part its completely a non-issue. I rarely come across an app I want that isn't here, or a perfectly good alternative. And if you think about it, when the iphone came out there wasn't even an app store, and no apps at all, all things come in their own time.

I would now say I am very unlikely to ever switch back.

Apple has long since stopped being 'cool', the only people that think that now are people who couldn't afford to ever buy into them before, and these days anyone can afford to.

I certainly get a lot more comments about my phone since I switched to a 920 (and now a 1520) than I ever got with an iphone.

The only way to be cool is to be different, which used to be the way apple sold their toys, but now that everyone and their dog has one, how is that being different? :)

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You basically said it yourself (last paragraphs) windows phone is unique, as well as Microsoft.

Microsoft, as a company, is head and shoulders "cooler" than any company I see today. No other does, as a whole, what Microsoft does. what is "cool" to you about those other companies.

Xbox, windows phone 8, Windows 8.1, their online services. Software like "Kodu/ Project Spark", Bing with Bing points (best ever). The list is endless. Only windows 8 can run Android, other OS's (inclusion of osx for running windows) PC games are still majorly made for Windows .

Windows phone "may" lack in some areas, but the "entire experience" you get with using MS products is unmatchable.

Sorry that your friends "think" cool is just liking a company for their phones/tabs/apps. MS does so much more. From education, medical, science, you name it. Its laughable to think anyone would think otherwise.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I just called my girlfriend and asked if MS is cool...she said no and no, so i broke up with her. I will be calling family and friends next...

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I was worried about the app situation when I switched from apple. But for the most part its completely a non-issue. I rarely come across an app I want that isn't here, or a perfectly good alternative. And if you think about it, when the iphone came out there wasn't even an app store, and no apps at all, all things come in their own time.

Apple has long since stopped being 'cool', the only people that think that now are people who couldn't afford to ever buy into them before, and these days anyone can afford to.

I certainly get a lot more comments about my phone since I switched to a 920 (and now a 1520) than I ever got with an iphone.

The only way to be cool is to be different, which used to be the way apple sold their toys, but now that everyone and their dog has one, how is that being different? :)

One of the things I do like about iOS is that they seem to get a lot of really well polished apps for a lot if different things .And I'm nervous WP won't have that.

I still will keep my iPad because I want access to those apps and I think it's still probably the best tablet , but I don't think iphone is best for me anymore. I did have android before , a nexus 4, and I liked it. But I just don't really want to deal with all that micromanagement to get it to do what I want . It's why I liked iOS and why I'm looking at windows phone now .

davidD93

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It has low current market share because it is a newer OS. Although technically out since 2010 with WP7, there seemed to me to be no real advertising from MS, and more of a beta product (certainly here in the UK anyway) until WP8 came out in 2012, 5 years after the iPhone came out, and about 4 after Android phones became serious competitors (although I am not sure on the date on that one). Releasing a new OS after the big head start of others is always going to be a slow process - same reason the app situation is as it is. The apps will get here eventually, they are coming everyday. Some people don't seem to get these points.

Despite what some think, or want, WP will not go away. Satya Nadella has repeatedly said "cloud first, mobile first". Plus the 8.1 announcement this week will confirm how serious MS are about WP.

Popularity - Of those who diss WP, some are fanboys of another OS, some, as you mentioned, just follow the fashion of (rightly or wrongly) hating on MS (although I think this is slowly becoming less and less), and some have genuinely tried and decided it is not for them, whatever the reason. I bet most that dis on WP haven't tried or even seen one, and wouldn't admit the positives of WP (no OS is perfect, WP included).

In truth, for some, WP is just not for them and/or needs time to catch up before it is viable for them. The only real test would be to get a 520 or something, have a go (and for a decent time, not 5 minutes!), ask around here for any problems, then decide if you are ready for change. But don't worry, if you find WP is for you, you can show off why to those who might snigger etc. should you do so.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

I just called my girlfriend and asked if MS is cool...she said no and no, so i broke up with her. I will be calling family and friends next...

I just meant that as a minor thing, I'm not casing the entire question on it .

I mean , I'll even edit that part out if it's just going to derail everything.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Let me make a simple suggestion. You say you have a GS phone. Go on Craigs list or eBay and buy an inexpensive WP for that carrier. Activate it and see how you like it. If you do, buy a better model. If you don, sell it and nothing is lost.

I came from Windows phone way back and then tried Android when MS dropped their phone support. When I heard that MS was back into the Windows based phones, I bought one running WP 7. That was about 3 years ago and now I have the ICON on Verizon. Love it and don't even look back.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My biggest issue with the WP platform still centers around the apps. Not the big name apps, but rather my local news, banking, businesses do not create apps for WP. That in itself is very limiting and cripples the convenience of the entire platform. If you just want big name social media apps you are golden.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Let me make a simple suggestion. You say you have a GS phone. Go on Craigs list or eBay and buy an inexpensive WP for that carrier. Activate it and see how you like it. If you do, buy a better model. If you don, sell it and nothing is lost.

I came from Windows phone way back and then tried Android when MS dropped their phone support. When I heard that MS was back into the Windows based phones, I bought one running WP 7. That was about 3 years ago and now I have the ICON on Verizon. Love it and don't even look back.

This is great input!
(if CL is available in the users area)

I'm thinking this is one reason for the lower line Nokia WPs
Watching for the price tags on those 500 series phones to hit bottom in the coming weeks.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

I'm gonna pick up a 520 and give that a go. :)

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Apps are starting to come regularly, and more developers are either releasing WP versions shortly after the iOS and Android versions, or, as is becoming more common, releasing the WP version with the iOS and Android at the same time. The tools are making it easier for developers to do this. WP8.1 will make the app situation snowball because 1) it will more closely tie WP8.1 with Windows 8.1 meaning a lot more customers for roughly the same code, 2) many limitations in WP8 that kept certain niche and not so niche apps off the platform are being removed, and 3) developers are seeing, in repeated surveys, that the monetization rate for WP8.x apps is a good chunk higher than Android, and in the same ballpark as iOS. That means, on a per user basis, developers are going to see more money. As the base continues to grow (likely in the 50 million user range) the market quickly becomes justifiable with that level of monetization.

WP isn't going anywhere. MS NEEDS WP or they could end up losing a lot of their customer base, and that could end up eroding their enterprise business down the road. It's critical for them to at least have modest success in the mobile OS landscape, and they are getting there.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I just have a lot of confusion and anxiety about using windows phone.

My anxiety with windows phone comes from a few different things, most if which might be petty or wrong.

The fact that windows phone isn't very popular, has the least amount of market share , and is honestly the raw end of many jokes makes me nervous of investing my time, money, and energy with them. Because what if they just close shop one day in windows phone development? What if the apps never gets updated and supported? What if devs just up and leave the platform. The thing is, it seems like all these things might be happening!

It's a perception thing too. Perhaps my opinion has been clouded by others, but it's not like Microsoft is a "cool" company. It's a company has a lot if stigma.

It just makes me think if I got a windows phone I'd be making a mistake.

But I'm excited about what microsofts doing lately, more so then ice ever been before I think. I really like there new direction and want a device to enjoy that new direction and what it brings. And I like the UI of WP a ton and how it ties with Microsoft services.

I don't know, does anyone get where coming from and can offer feedback or advice?

(Note: I should mention I currently am using a 5S. )

I understand what you are saying. It is nerve racking because you do hear a lot of bloggers and 'tech people' say that MS should just give up on mobile and work on the next big thing. Or my favorite....just use Android. Life is all about taking risks and at times the biggest risks have the biggest rewards. Amazon has the Lumia 520 for $60, an opportunity to try out WP.

The app situation at least on W8.1 is pretty bad and apps that are there....mlb.tv for example are unusable. Build is this week and rumors are that new WP8.1 hardware will be announced later this month, wait and see what happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12