04-08-2014 05:12 PM
93 123 ...
tools
    I just have a lot of confusion and anxiety about using windows phone.

My anxiety with windows phone comes from a few different things, most if which might be petty or wrong.

The fact that windows phone isn't very popular, has the least amount of market share , and is honestly the raw end of many jokes makes me nervous of investing my time, money, and energy with them. Because what if they just close shop one day in windows phone development? What if the apps never gets updated and supported? What if devs just up and leave the platform. The thing is, it seems like all these things might be happening!

It's a perception thing too. Perhaps my opinion has been clouded by others, but it's not like Microsoft is a "cool" company. It's a company has a lot if stigma.

It just makes me think if I got a windows phone I'd be making a mistake.

But I'm excited about what microsofts doing lately, more so then ice ever been before I think. I really like there new direction and want a device to enjoy that new direction and what it brings. And I like the UI of WP a ton and how it ties with Microsoft services.

I don't know, does anyone get where coming from and can offer feedback or advice?

(Note: I should mention I currently am using a 5S. )
    03-31-2014 06:21 PM
    Lol!!!!
    taymur likes this.
    03-31-2014 06:24 PM
    Too bad we don't have "loaner" phones or a really real virtual on-line UI experience for test driving.
    Pretty difficult to tip someone on the edge into going for the platform without giving a potential real user experience.
    03-31-2014 06:27 PM
    I was worried about the app situation when I switched from apple. But for the most part its completely a non-issue. I rarely come across an app I want that isn't here, or a perfectly good alternative. And if you think about it, when the iphone came out there wasn't even an app store, and no apps at all, all things come in their own time.

I would now say I am very unlikely to ever switch back.

Apple has long since stopped being 'cool', the only people that think that now are people who couldn't afford to ever buy into them before, and these days anyone can afford to.

I certainly get a lot more comments about my phone since I switched to a 920 (and now a 1520) than I ever got with an iphone.

The only way to be cool is to be different, which used to be the way apple sold their toys, but now that everyone and their dog has one, how is that being different? :)
    03-31-2014 06:30 PM
    don't be nervous... you just try!! i like it and i'm very happy with. my substitute fro my L920 will be another WP FOR SURE!!!
    snowmutt likes this.
    03-31-2014 06:36 PM
    You basically said it yourself (last paragraphs) windows phone is unique, as well as Microsoft.

Microsoft, as a company, is head and shoulders "cooler" than any company I see today. No other does, as a whole, what Microsoft does. what is "cool" to you about those other companies.

Xbox, windows phone 8, Windows 8.1, their online services. Software like "Kodu/ Project Spark", Bing with Bing points (best ever). The list is endless. Only windows 8 can run Android, other OS's (inclusion of osx for running windows) PC games are still majorly made for Windows .

Windows phone "may" lack in some areas, but the "entire experience" you get with using MS products is unmatchable.

Sorry that your friends "think" cool is just liking a company for their phones/tabs/apps. MS does so much more. From education, medical, science, you name it. Its laughable to think anyone would think otherwise.
    sashlon and snowmutt like this.
    03-31-2014 06:43 PM
    I just called my girlfriend and asked if MS is cool...she said no and no, so i broke up with her. I will be calling family and friends next...
    03-31-2014 06:51 PM
    I was worried about the app situation when I switched from apple. But for the most part its completely a non-issue. I rarely come across an app I want that isn't here, or a perfectly good alternative. And if you think about it, when the iphone came out there wasn't even an app store, and no apps at all, all things come in their own time.

Apple has long since stopped being 'cool', the only people that think that now are people who couldn't afford to ever buy into them before, and these days anyone can afford to.

I certainly get a lot more comments about my phone since I switched to a 920 (and now a 1520) than I ever got with an iphone.

The only way to be cool is to be different, which used to be the way apple sold their toys, but now that everyone and their dog has one, how is that being different? :)
    One of the things I do like about iOS is that they seem to get a lot of really well polished apps for a lot if different things .And I'm nervous WP won't have that.

I still will keep my iPad because I want access to those apps and I think it's still probably the best tablet , but I don't think iphone is best for me anymore. I did have android before , a nexus 4, and I liked it. But I just don't really want to deal with all that micromanagement to get it to do what I want . It's why I liked iOS and why I'm looking at windows phone now .
    03-31-2014 06:55 PM
    It has low current market share because it is a newer OS. Although technically out since 2010 with WP7, there seemed to me to be no real advertising from MS, and more of a beta product (certainly here in the UK anyway) until WP8 came out in 2012, 5 years after the iPhone came out, and about 4 after Android phones became serious competitors (although I am not sure on the date on that one). Releasing a new OS after the big head start of others is always going to be a slow process - same reason the app situation is as it is. The apps will get here eventually, they are coming everyday. Some people don't seem to get these points.

Despite what some think, or want, WP will not go away. Satya Nadella has repeatedly said "cloud first, mobile first". Plus the 8.1 announcement this week will confirm how serious MS are about WP.

Popularity - Of those who diss WP, some are fanboys of another OS, some, as you mentioned, just follow the fashion of (rightly or wrongly) hating on MS (although I think this is slowly becoming less and less), and some have genuinely tried and decided it is not for them, whatever the reason. I bet most that dis on WP haven't tried or even seen one, and wouldn't admit the positives of WP (no OS is perfect, WP included).

In truth, for some, WP is just not for them and/or needs time to catch up before it is viable for them. The only real test would be to get a 520 or something, have a go (and for a decent time, not 5 minutes!), ask around here for any problems, then decide if you are ready for change. But don't worry, if you find WP is for you, you can show off why to those who might snigger etc. should you do so.
    03-31-2014 06:56 PM

I just called my girlfriend and asked if MS is cool...she said no and no, so i broke up with her. I will be calling family and friends next...
    I just meant that as a minor thing, I'm not casing the entire question on it .

I mean , I'll even edit that part out if it's just going to derail everything.
    03-31-2014 06:56 PM
    Always a comedian on hand!
    lol

yup-yup-yup--yep!
    03-31-2014 07:00 PM
    Let me make a simple suggestion. You say you have a GS phone. Go on Craigs list or eBay and buy an inexpensive WP for that carrier. Activate it and see how you like it. If you do, buy a better model. If you don, sell it and nothing is lost.

I came from Windows phone way back and then tried Android when MS dropped their phone support. When I heard that MS was back into the Windows based phones, I bought one running WP 7. That was about 3 years ago and now I have the ICON on Verizon. Love it and don't even look back.
    03-31-2014 07:19 PM
    My biggest issue with the WP platform still centers around the apps. Not the big name apps, but rather my local news, banking, businesses do not create apps for WP. That in itself is very limiting and cripples the convenience of the entire platform. If you just want big name social media apps you are golden.
    03-31-2014 07:29 PM
    Let me make a simple suggestion. You say you have a GS phone. Go on Craigs list or eBay and buy an inexpensive WP for that carrier. Activate it and see how you like it. If you do, buy a better model. If you don, sell it and nothing is lost.

I came from Windows phone way back and then tried Android when MS dropped their phone support. When I heard that MS was back into the Windows based phones, I bought one running WP 7. That was about 3 years ago and now I have the ICON on Verizon. Love it and don't even look back.
    This is great input!
    (if CL is available in the users area)

I'm thinking this is one reason for the lower line Nokia WPs
    Watching for the price tags on those 500 series phones to hit bottom in the coming weeks.
    snowmutt likes this.
    03-31-2014 07:30 PM
    ^
    What he said.
    03-31-2014 07:37 PM

I'm gonna pick up a 520 and give that a go. :)
    Blu3V3nom07 and snowmutt like this.
    03-31-2014 07:45 PM
    If you can, try and go for a 525, as that has 1GB RAM, and that means it won't have the gaming limitations that 512MB RAM devices have.

Sent from my Xbox One using WPCentral Forums
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    03-31-2014 07:59 PM
    Wait. You have an iPhone and you worried about being cool? Dude c'mon!
    03-31-2014 08:12 PM
    Apps are starting to come regularly, and more developers are either releasing WP versions shortly after the iOS and Android versions, or, as is becoming more common, releasing the WP version with the iOS and Android at the same time. The tools are making it easier for developers to do this. WP8.1 will make the app situation snowball because 1) it will more closely tie WP8.1 with Windows 8.1 meaning a lot more customers for roughly the same code, 2) many limitations in WP8 that kept certain niche and not so niche apps off the platform are being removed, and 3) developers are seeing, in repeated surveys, that the monetization rate for WP8.x apps is a good chunk higher than Android, and in the same ballpark as iOS. That means, on a per user basis, developers are going to see more money. As the base continues to grow (likely in the 50 million user range) the market quickly becomes justifiable with that level of monetization.

WP isn't going anywhere. MS NEEDS WP or they could end up losing a lot of their customer base, and that could end up eroding their enterprise business down the road. It's critical for them to at least have modest success in the mobile OS landscape, and they are getting there.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    03-31-2014 08:32 PM
    I just have a lot of confusion and anxiety about using windows phone.

My anxiety with windows phone comes from a few different things, most if which might be petty or wrong.

The fact that windows phone isn't very popular, has the least amount of market share , and is honestly the raw end of many jokes makes me nervous of investing my time, money, and energy with them. Because what if they just close shop one day in windows phone development? What if the apps never gets updated and supported? What if devs just up and leave the platform. The thing is, it seems like all these things might be happening!

It's a perception thing too. Perhaps my opinion has been clouded by others, but it's not like Microsoft is a "cool" company. It's a company has a lot if stigma.

It just makes me think if I got a windows phone I'd be making a mistake.

But I'm excited about what microsofts doing lately, more so then ice ever been before I think. I really like there new direction and want a device to enjoy that new direction and what it brings. And I like the UI of WP a ton and how it ties with Microsoft services.

I don't know, does anyone get where coming from and can offer feedback or advice?

(Note: I should mention I currently am using a 5S. )

I understand what you are saying. It is nerve racking because you do hear a lot of bloggers and 'tech people' say that MS should just give up on mobile and work on the next big thing. Or my favorite....just use Android. Life is all about taking risks and at times the biggest risks have the biggest rewards. Amazon has the Lumia 520 for $60, an opportunity to try out WP.

The app situation at least on W8.1 is pretty bad and apps that are there....mlb.tv for example are unusable. Build is this week and rumors are that new WP8.1 hardware will be announced later this month, wait and see what happens.
    03-31-2014 09:23 PM

I understand what you are saying. It is nerve racking because you do hear a lot of bloggers and 'tech people' say that MS should just give up on mobile and work on the next big thing. Or my favorite....just use Android. Life is all about taking risks and at times the biggest risks have the biggest rewards. Amazon has the Lumia 520 for $60, an opportunity to try out WP.

The app situation at least on W8.1 is pretty bad and apps that are there....mlb.tv for example are unusable. Build is this week and rumors are that new WP8.1 hardware will be announced later this month, wait and see what happens.
    We'll, I picked up a 520 at target today for 64.99. Looking forward to using it. I need to make sure to give it more than a few days though.

Again, here's hoping apps continue to improve.
    Cleavitt76 and snowmutt like this.
    03-31-2014 10:22 PM
    Good move. Just remember that the 520 is basically a "throw away" phone so don't base your judgments on the hardware. It's a great phone for what it is (my daily driver), but it's no flagship. I would also keep an eye on the news about the Windows Phone 8.1 release which is a major update that will be coming out any day now. I think it will be worth the effort to get it loaded on your "test phone" so you can evaluate the OS as it will be going forward. More info here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...t-exactly.html

As others have said, MS has no intention of ditching Windows Phone. WP is a significant part of Microsoft's "One" strategy. They have altered Windows, their websites, Xbox, and many of their other products to align with Windows Phone. That isn't something they are doing on a whim. It's a massive investment for MS. Anybody that tells you that Microsoft is going to walk away from Windows Phone is completely clueless.

The app situation for Windows Phone has gotten exponentially better in the past year and it is trending upwards. For every dev that jumps ship from Windows Phone (for now) there are probably a hundred that are getting on board. It hasn't happened as quickly as many of us Windows Phone users would like, but it is definitely headed in the right direction. If you have any special niche apps that you can't live without you might want to check the store and see if something equivalent is available: Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

As far as MS and their "stigma", MS has a long history and they have been a huge part of both the consumer and enterprise computing world. Any company that has been so involved in such a competitive, fast growing, and world changing industry is going to have some controversy. People tend to focus on the negative and take the positive for granted. They also tend to like to hate on the established leader which has traditionally been MS (and still is in most areas of computing). I'm not saying that MS doesn't deserve some of their reputation, but I am saying it's greatly exaggerated and their innovation is often overlooked. The thing is, Apple and Google have been leading in mobile for a while and I know quite a few people that are starting to get bored with their products and annoyed by their business practices. Eventually people are going to start to view iStuff and Google/Galaxy as the "status quo" and they will start hating on them too. That is just the way trends work. Besides, following what everyone else is doing just makes a person less interesting and more generic.

Anyway, good luck with your Windows Phone journey.
    falconrap, apfm, seanpr and 3 others like this.
    03-31-2014 10:33 PM
    WP isn't going anywhere. MS NEEDS WP or they could end up losing a lot of their customer base, and that could end up eroding their enterprise business down the road. It's critical for them to at least have modest success in the mobile OS landscape, and they are getting there.

Actually with their new focus on services and supporting all platforms with their services Microsoft doesn't really need WP. Office, Xbox live (coming), Skype, onedrive, outlook are all available on other platforms and with the small market share of WP and even the surface devices Microsoft could can all their hardware and focus solely on servicing ios and android and not feel any negative effect. This of course is their own fault but its the unfortunate reality for Microsoft and WP.
    03-31-2014 10:35 PM
    Actually with their new focus on services and supporting all platforms with their services Microsoft doesn't really need WP. Office, Xbox live (coming), Skype, onedrive, outlook are all available on other platforms and with the small market share of WP and even the surface devices Microsoft could can all their hardware and focus solely on servicing ios and android and not feel any negative effect. This of course is their own fault but its the unfortunate reality for Microsoft.
    Their focus is on devices and services, not just services so Windows Phone, Surface, and Xbox are all a big part of that strategy.

Also, the fact that their services are available on nearly all devices is not a "fault" nor is it "unfortunate". It's called diversification and it is quite intentional. For me, it's one of the biggest selling points for the MS ecosystem. They provide open and cross platform services to complement their software/devices as opposed to being locked into Apple's proprietary world or dealing with Google's anti-competitive services. Just because MS could shut down major aspects of their business strategy and still be a successful company doesn't mean that it would be wise to do so. It's also worth pointing out that Microsoft's competitors have almost no diversification. Nearly all of Apple's revenue come from the iPhone and the iPad (a big iPhone). Nearly all of Google's revenue is from advertising. That could very well turn into an "unfortunate reality" for them someday.
    03-31-2014 10:53 PM
    Good move. Just remember that the 520 is basically a "throw away" phone so don't base your judgments on the hardware. It's a great phone for what it is (my daily driver), but it's no flagship. I would also keep an eye on the news about the Windows Phone 8.1 release which is a major update that will be coming out any day now. I think it will be worth the effort to get it loaded on your "test phone" so you can evaluate the OS as it will be going forward. More info here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...t-exactly.html

As others have said, MS has no intention of ditching Windows Phone. WP is a significant part of Microsoft's "One" strategy. They have altered Windows, their websites, Xbox, and many of their other products to align with Windows Phone. That isn't something they are doing on a whim. It's a massive investment for MS. Anybody that tells you that Microsoft is going to walk away from Windows Phone is completely clueless.

The app situation for Windows Phone has gotten exponentially better in the past year and it is trending upwards. For every dev that jumps ship from Windows Phone (for now) there are probably a hundred that are getting on board. It hasn't happened as quickly as many of us Windows Phone users would like, but it is definitely headed in the right direction. If you have any special niche apps that you can't live without you might want to check the store and see if something equivalent is available: Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

As far as MS and their "stigma", MS has a long history and they have been a huge part of both the consumer and enterprise computing world. Any company that has been so involved in such a competitive, fast growing, and world changing industry is going to have some controversy. People tend to focus on the negative and take the positive for granted. They also tend to like to hate on the established leader which has traditionally been MS (and still is in most areas of computing). I'm not saying that MS doesn't deserve some of their reputation, but I am saying it's greatly exaggerated and their innovation is often overlooked. The thing is, Apple and Google have been leading in mobile for a while and I know quite a few people that are starting to get bored with their products and annoyed by their business practices. Eventually people are going to start to view iStuff and Google/Galaxy as the "status quo" and they will start hating on them too. That is just the way trends work. Besides, following what everyone else is doing just makes a person less interesting and more generic.

Anyway, good luck with your Windows Phone journey.
    so since I can't really judge performance or hardware since this is a low end phone, should I just use it to get a feel for the OS and apps?

and am I still going to easily be able to continue using my iPad and other non windows devices? Or is it going to get to s point where I'll replace the iPad with a surface or something?
    04-01-2014 12:35 AM
93 123 ...