Windows Free for Devices Under 9" is this Good or Not‏?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi All

So MS announced today at build that devices under 9 inches will be free so I wanted to ask about your opinion is this a good idea or not?

Personally I think this is a great move for MS and should attract OEM's to make more devices for the platform.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It's a shell game.

Yes from the outside looking in, it looks great. But in reality MS hopes this will promote more phones and phablets, and keep rivals out of the Surface space.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MS practically went open-source without going open-source. We're definitely going to see lots of cheaper low-end phones across different OEMs now.

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
off course it is. many here argue the bogus point that this will drop quality and that MSFT doesn't need to do this because they collect patent fees on android, and that marketshare doesn't matter. yet wrong, wrong, wrong. MFST today made the case clear: this is a numbers game and marketshare >>>>>> licensing fees for it doesn't matter how much you charge for an OS that the world ignores. they got the message and I think finally WP will turn around.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Best news for WP users and consumers yet. This is how you compete with Android. It will gain more marketshare and more apps to the platform.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a great idea, since it should get more OEMs onboard such as Sony. It also might make Samsung and HTC more interested in bringing new WP8.1 devices.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Very good news in my opinion. This is being done to attract more OEM's and keep the OEM's they've got at the moment producing more and more devices going forward. This should hopefully mean more choice for us in the near future, which is always good.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a great idea as it will attract more OEM's to make WP8 devices. My main concern is that unless they actually do something unique and interesting, then people may just continue to stick with Nokia and those devices won't take off.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a great idea as it will attract more OEM's to make WP8 devices. My main concern is that unless they actually do something unique and interesting, then people may just continue to stick with Nokia and those devices won't take off.

Which seems unlikely as Nokia work their asses off for their firmware updates and it'll only get better once they're a part of MSFT.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It may make less difference than expected in reality. Given the low sales, I would guess MS have subsidised Windows Phones one way or another - such as via the large quarterly payments to Nokia.
Once MS own Nokia (who make almost all WPs now sold), they can increase the margins on the hardware to make up for losses on the software. It's the same business model as Apple, who don't independently charge for iOS at all (but you can only get it by buying expensive hardware). Without more details, it's hard to draw any conclusions about this announcement.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It's good. In 10 years 4 billion people will have mobile devices, if MS get a 10% of market share with Windows and the Nokia X, that's 400 million consumers to target with services, a huge market.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
MS practically went open-source without going open-source. We're definitely going to see lots of cheaper low-end phones across different OEMs now.

It is totally different to going open source. Manufacturers cannot make changes, fix problems or use the software in creative new ways. Going open source means giving up a lot of control, not just a bit (perhaps in reality no) money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb