Hi All

So MS announced today at build that devices under 9 inches will be free so I wanted to ask about your opinion is this a good idea or not?

Personally I think this is a great move for MS and should attract OEM's to make more devices for the platform.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-2014 03:49 PM
    It's a shell game.

Yes from the outside looking in, it looks great. But in reality MS hopes this will promote more phones and phablets, and keep rivals out of the Surface space.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-02-2014 03:56 PM
    Good news, everyone!

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Laura Knotek and BIGPADDY like this.
    04-02-2014 04:04 PM
    MS practically went open-source without going open-source. We're definitely going to see lots of cheaper low-end phones across different OEMs now.
    04-02-2014 04:14 PM
    off course it is. many here argue the bogus point that this will drop quality and that MSFT doesn't need to do this because they collect patent fees on android, and that marketshare doesn't matter. yet wrong, wrong, wrong. MFST today made the case clear: this is a numbers game and marketshare >>>>>> licensing fees for it doesn't matter how much you charge for an OS that the world ignores. they got the message and I think finally WP will turn around.
    04-02-2014 05:06 PM
    Best news for WP users and consumers yet. This is how you compete with Android. It will gain more marketshare and more apps to the platform.
    BIGPADDY and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-02-2014 06:07 PM
    I think it's a great idea, since it should get more OEMs onboard such as Sony. It also might make Samsung and HTC more interested in bringing new WP8.1 devices.
    BIGPADDY and A895 like this.
    04-02-2014 06:12 PM
    Free quality software is never bad. The thing I like best is they aren't fragmenting features.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    04-02-2014 09:55 PM
    Very good news in my opinion. This is being done to attract more OEM's and keep the OEM's they've got at the moment producing more and more devices going forward. This should hopefully mean more choice for us in the near future, which is always good.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    04-03-2014 05:12 AM
    I think it's a great idea, since it should get more OEMs onboard such as Sony. It also might make Samsung and HTC more interested in bringing new WP8.1 devices.
    I'm hoping this will bring SONY on board as well as other things.
    dznk and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-03-2014 06:55 AM
    I think it's a great idea as it will attract more OEM's to make WP8 devices. My main concern is that unless they actually do something unique and interesting, then people may just continue to stick with Nokia and those devices won't take off.
    04-04-2014 01:42 AM
    I think it's a great idea as it will attract more OEM's to make WP8 devices. My main concern is that unless they actually do something unique and interesting, then people may just continue to stick with Nokia and those devices won't take off.
    Which seems unlikely as Nokia work their asses off for their firmware updates and it'll only get better once they're a part of MSFT.
    04-04-2014 04:57 AM
    It may make less difference than expected in reality. Given the low sales, I would guess MS have subsidised Windows Phones one way or another - such as via the large quarterly payments to Nokia.
    Once MS own Nokia (who make almost all WPs now sold), they can increase the margins on the hardware to make up for losses on the software. It's the same business model as Apple, who don't independently charge for iOS at all (but you can only get it by buying expensive hardware). Without more details, it's hard to draw any conclusions about this announcement.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-04-2014 07:40 AM
    It's good. In 10 years 4 billion people will have mobile devices, if MS get a 10% of market share with Windows and the Nokia X, that's 400 million consumers to target with services, a huge market.
    04-04-2014 10:54 PM
    MS practically went open-source without going open-source. We're definitely going to see lots of cheaper low-end phones across different OEMs now.
    It is totally different to going open source. Manufacturers cannot make changes, fix problems or use the software in creative new ways. Going open source means giving up a lot of control, not just a bit (perhaps in reality no) money.
    04-05-2014 02:26 AM