The Windows Phone App Gap--Reality Versus Perception

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I have both a Nexus 5 and Lumia 920 and an iPad. So I use all three mobile OSes though only WP8 and Android as a phone. And so far I don't see much of an app gap in the real world. Bloggers and 'journalists' talk about the app gap but have they really used these OSes in the real world?

So far, on Windows Phone, I've missed a few banking apps, a meetup app, a few other minor apps I would use once a month. But guess what? The mobile website versions are fine.

On Android, I miss a good offline navigation app. I use gps all the time and Navfree is very poor compared to Here drive. If I had to choose between missing a few banking apps and such vs a good offline navigation app, I choose the navigation app. Windows also has Mixx Radio with free offline mixes. Not sure Android or iOS has anything like this.

So Windows has more apps that I actually use on a daily basis. I welcome other people's real world experience who actually use multiple mobile OSes.

Hi,

Allow me to take the opportunity to explain to you that you are not the world. The sun does not, sadly, revolve around you.

There are more than six billion people on this planet, each of whom are different, and therefore are likely to use their phone differently. For you, offline navigation is important and I respect that. However, I travel a lot, drive rarely and in fact have never owned a car. So navigation itself is irrelevant to me, though I do use it to walk around cities or get public transit directions. For example, I just got back to my hotel from a great Saturday in Tokyo and Google Maps served me perfectly (note that Here and Bing don't have any sort of useful information for Japan). However, I often need to transfer funds to various people and so my Citibank app is extremely important to me (and the mobile site sucks balls).

So you see that different people have different priorities. QuizUp is so popular right now that three people I know in India, including my sister who has my Lumia 1020, are abandoning WP just so they can play with their friends (remember that social pressures and the feeling of being "left out" can be very decisive). This app may be useless to you, but it is important to thousands of people.

And finally, it is amusing that in this thread there are people who admit they need a second non-WP device :D

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While I will agree that the app selection on Windows Phone is very good, there's still a small app gap. However, I wouldn't say it's large enough to steer someone away from a Windows Phone device, it's also important to recognize the app gap for what it is. BTW, there's not much I hate more than when someone says "just use the browser" as an excuse ;)

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Allow me to take the opportunity to explain to you that you are not the world. The sun does not, sadly, revolve around you.

Yes, that is why this thread exists. To have a discussion with real examples on where Windows falls short and where it is better. Of course, your entire comment is totally one sided. You mention all the things Windows doesn't do well and you don't mention anything it does do better. If you look at my comments on this thread, I acknowledge Windows doesn't have all the latest games so maybe it's not a phone for you if you are a phone gamer.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
BTW, there's not much I hate more than when someone says "just use the browser" as an excuse ;)
Having an app for a website is often better but the situation is more nuanced. First, most apps are really just a website front end, written in html 5 so you're often just getting a different layout whether it was a browser or an app. Functionally, they are usually the same. Often the website is not as friendly to small screens so usability on an app is usually better. Totally understandable.

But second, many sites are making generic mobile versions of their site. Look at Cnet as an example. Their browser experience is just like an app. But I understand that a lot of people would rather click on an app than a browser bookmark. It's about perception often.

Third, it depends on how much you use an app, as I mentioned. I bank on Citibank about once a month on my phone, doing most of the work on a PC. So no big deal that an app doesn't exist for it. Now if I were someone who used Citibank every day, I could see not having an app as a big deal.

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Huge Microsoft fan here, but I am now just sick and tired of the fact many apps don't come for Windows Phone. I see this many software where you can buy a product and use it on your phone, the company only made the phones for Apple and Droid, nothing for Windows. Just like the ever so popular app "Tinder" is no where to be found for the WP. I am starting to really hate the fact that I might have to go back to using a Droid because WP is always taking a back seat to the top apps

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
And they'll also complain that a million apps isn't enough because Android has three million. :straight:

Nobody gives two sh*t about how many millions of apps WP has. Its about the top big quality apps which everyone uses and need.

USAA app on WP is about worthless compared to its counterpart for IOS and Android. I had to delete it right away after downloading it.
TD Bank doesn't even have an app for their banking system on WP or cares to make one even as they dont see WP worthy.
Tinder app, a great app for us in the younger generation, but us WP users can't get to use it because Tinder won't make one and that Rudy guy just said he hasnt even started one because Tinder wont allow him.
Sony wont even make a remote app for their top of the line Bravia 3D HDTVS. But seemingly both IOS and Droids have the app for it.

I went to go buy one of those flying helicopter toys for my little cousin, immediately saw that you need a cell phone to operate it as a controller and you have to download their app to your phone. Yep and there was no app for WP but they had one for IOS and Droid.

Viper the car alarm company makes remote starter. Saw that they actually had their app on WP for remote starting your car through your phone. Like always it hasn't been updated in a year. So anyone who uses that app on their phone, has a problem getting their car to start from their phone since the app is about worthless and Viper doesn't care one bit about updating it on WP.

Things like these are getting very irritating and it seems like MS hasn't done anything to fix their App situation. Its starting to seem that convenience over Microsoft loyalty might decide my next phone coming up soon.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I've always felt that there is a negative aspect of having a huge app store; namely, the time cost of app management. I find that even with the WP Store, I spend a ridiculous amount of time looking at, downloading, and testing, apps. On iOS and Android, it's probably only worse. (Sorry, I can't give a personal comparative perspective on all three stores). For people focused on work, and not mobile entertainment, it seems they use less apps, not more. Mark Cuban said recently he has thirteen apps on his mobile phone and I think there is a good reason for that.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
While I will agree that the app selection on Windows Phone is very good, there's still a small app gap. However, I wouldn't say it's large enough to steer someone away from a Windows Phone device, it's also important to recognize the app gap for what it is. BTW, there's not much I hate more than when someone says "just use the browser" as an excuse ;)

You know I'm with you here LOL.

But yes, the app gap exists for me. I do feel MSFT is making gains, but for my purposes, WP8 is not as effective as a daily driver because of a few specific apps.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I've always felt that there is a negative aspect of having a huge app store; namely, the time cost of app management. I find that even with the WP Store, I spend a ridiculous amount of time looking at, downloading, and testing, apps. On iOS and Android, it's probably only worse. (Sorry, I can't give a personal comparative perspective on all three stores). For people focused on work, and not mobile entertainment, it seems they use less apps, not more. Mark Cuban said recently he has thirteen apps on his mobile phone and I think there is a good reason for that.

I review apps for a living, and even I don't spend that much time looking for apps for my personal portfolio. In fact, I still use apps from my days on Palm. I find tried and true ones that work.

With regards o the Mark Cuban quote, yep, I can see that. if I haven't used an app in a week, I get rid of it.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The one app I really miss is kind of specialized, so I'm not surprised it's not available yet.

Otherwise I'm quite satisfied with the overall app selection, no other complaints.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss