The Windows Phone App Gap--Reality Versus Perception

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Mixing Android and Windows Phone ... no please NO!!!! ... I know we lack banking apps and local apps BUT you know... it'd be a disaster to not have the METRO design on apps and feel like it's Android on WPhone? eeewww...

icyrock1

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The other issue is feature parity. It sucks having the app, but lacking features standard on other platforms.

Personally, the only app I wish for is an app for my bank. The mobile site was fine til it was modified in some manner that made using a Windows Phone impossible to use the site.

Trust me, mobile bank apps suck (on all platforms. Most of the ones I've used on iOS and android haven't been updated in over a year).

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I think the biggest reason was microsofts Scroogled ads. Only one that got Scroogled in that was Microsoft. They even promoted the yuts who came up with that campaign *smh*

Nah. Apple has done more to undermine Google and its plans in recent times. I truly believe Google couldn't care less about Scroogle. If WP is a potential money maker, it will develop for it.

To be fair, I do believe Google will throw its weight around now and then, but when it comes down to it, it wants eyeballs, and as soon as WP gives them a high count source, things will change.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Nah. Apple has done more to undermine Google and its plans in recent times. I truly believe Google couldn't care less about Scroogle. If WP is a potential money maker, it will develop for it.

To be fair, I do believe Google will throw its weight around now and then, but when it comes down to it, it wants eyeballs, and as soon as WP gives them a high count source, things will change.

Very true. I think market share is a big part. Hopefully it happens soon.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Trust me, mobile bank apps suck (on all platforms. Most of the ones I've used on iOS and android haven't been updated in over a year).

Well, I never said I haven't used any. They were fine apps when I had an iPhone and Android. At least fine enough for what I needed to do (check my account balances and make transfers). Now, I can't even login due to the bank doing something to their mobile site making it impossible to use on a Windows Phone

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
@ fatclue_98: I use two different apps for scanning documents. CamScanner is on iOS, Android and Windows Phone and works flawlessly! I use this app for non-sensative information documents (coupons, grocery list, etc). The other is made by Microsoft and is called "Office Lens". I use this for my private and sensative scanning items. It scans pages using the camera and saves the files in PDF format directly to OneNote attached to your Microsoft account. Since this is connected directly to your Microsoft Account and not associated with a third party website, it is NOT visible to anyone but you, making all your documents that you scan PRIVATE! I use Office Lens a lot and absolutely love it. I can scan documents with my phone, save them as PDF format, and access them anytime on OneNote from any computer by logging into my Microsoft (Hotmail/Outlook) account. Later when you log into OneNote, you can organize all you scans into separate notebooks or folders.

Last edited:

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
After using my 928 in depth the past few days there is an app gap. It's definitely not to the extent that journalists and media makes it out to be but there is one. However it is more in the functionality dept that the apps lack not the number of apps.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
@ fatclue_98: I use two different apps for scanning documents. CamScanner is on iOS, Android and Windows Phone and works flawlessly! I use this app for non-sensative information documents (coupons, grocery list, etc). The other is made by Microsoft and is called "Office Lens". I use this for my private and sensative scanning items. It scans pages using the camera and saves the files in PDF format directly to OneNote attached to your Microsoft account. Since this is connected directly to your Microsoft Account and not associated with a third party website, it is NOT visible to anyone but you, making all your documents that you scan PRIVATE! I use Office Lens a lot and absolutely love it. I can scan documents with my phone, save them as PDF format, and access them anytime on OneNote from any computer by logging into my Microsoft (Hotmail/Outlook) account. Later when you log into OneNote, you can organize all you scans into separate notebooks or folders.

I have no doubt Office Lens does what you say it does. What I was referring to is the image quality and the ability to attach multiple PDF files on a single email. Unless 8.1 resolves this issue, it's a non-starter. I can't spend valuable time correcting badly exposed scans or finding workarounds for simple email tasks. As a consumer-centric phone, I think WP is the best all around choice. As a business tool, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
app examples of functionality not being there or etc. And if you find it a deal breaker for the platform.

1. Facebook - it lacks the ability to tag people in statuses and reply to individual comments
2. Twitter - lacks the ability to show hashtag suggestions when Tweeting VERY annoying to me
3. Fitbit - I cannot sync my fitbit using the app, I have a suspicion this one might be me
4. My Fitness Pal - lacks the ability to move items from one meal to another without a deletion and readd

Is It a deal breaker? I use my iPhone and Android much more than WP. It has nothing to do with WP being a bad OS, ios and Android are just more developed OS' s. WP is a young OS and we're comparing it's apps to its competitors who have been around for years which to be honest isn't a fair comparison.

I will post more in depth when I get to my computer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
1. Facebook - it lacks the ability to tag people in statuses and reply to individual comments
2. Twitter - lacks the ability to show hashtag suggestions when Tweeting VERY annoying to me
3. Fitbit - I cannot sync my fitbit using the app, I have a suspicion this one might be me
4. My Fitness Pal - lacks the ability to move items from one meal to another without a deletion and readd

Is It a deal breaker? I use my iPhone and Android much more than WP. It has nothing to do with WP being a bad OS, ios and Android are just more developed OS' s. WP is a young OS and we're comparing it's apps to its competitors who have been around for years which to be honest isn't a fair comparison.

I will post more in depth when I get to my computer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1

It seems you use what suits you and are still willing to give WP a go. That's a a rational approach and it's understandable. If you look at my signature you'll see what I'm typing on. What you can't see is my WM iPaq that's providing the internet connection. Real Outlook and a file manager that sees my network files are 2 of my biggest NEEDS and I'm very inflexible in that regard. VPN is supposedly coming along with a file manager, we'll see.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
ROI.
Google doesn't have feelings. It has pockets. If Google kept grudges, Apple wouldn't have Gapps.

Yes and no. Google does lots of things without consideration for ROI (basically everything except search). It's not that there's no potential payback on WP8, it's that there's no financial penalty to withhold their services. I think they're very deliberately stiffing WP, and not because of Scroogled. I agree they probably couldn't care less about that. But they do realize that by simply dragging their feet they can create a huge disincentive for people to adopt WP, the biggest threat to their dominance in mobile. They play nice with Apple because Apple has a lot of rich users, many of whom would not buy an Android phone. People always say Google only cares about getting people to use the internet. Well, a key user base for WP is people trading up from feature phones to smart phones. These are digital immigrants, so why isn't Google opening their services to these people? Because they realize that WP is a threat. Plain and simple.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It seems you use what suits you and are still willing to give WP a go. That's a a rational approach and it's understandable. If you look at my signature you'll see what I'm typing on. What you can't see is my WM iPaq that's providing the internet connection. Real Outlook and a file manager that sees my network files are 2 of my biggest NEEDS and I'm very inflexible in that regard. VPN is supposedly coming along with a file manager, we'll see.

Microsoft is an enterprise company anymore, I don't understand at all how VPN was ever left out of WP8.

Supposedly with WP8.1 we will get some extent of a file system. Not the source code or anything like android but a place to see your documents, pictures and etc. I want the ability to attach documents to an email from within the email app. That's my biggest iPhone complaint, I have to go to another app to attach an actual PDF or other document and I can't reply to the thread of emails I'm already in. It kills my productivity level. I also really really need some form on Swype, now that Apple is the only company without it I think it's just a matter of time.

I am a fan of competition. Competition always ends well for consumers. Lower prices (Moto X, Nexus 5) and better quality because companies try to out do each other. I am (try) not to be loyal to any one company, I use what works best for the job I need done. At this point WP8 can't handle the job I need done, but for somebody else it might. The best platform for my needs right now is Android and that's what I usually use but my Moto X is not working, I have a warranty replacement on the way.

I also support many many people who are not tech literate and you hear how easy the iPhone is and tech illiterate people are who should have them. My clients use Android....it's cheapest and don't have to many problems navigating it. I don't like in iOS 7 how Apple made so many menus, everything is always in another menu, not top straight forward. But you may feel different. that's the beauty of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb