The Windows Phone App Gap--Reality Versus Perception

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I miss is my nook app. Have most of my books there. Other than that, I don't have much of a problem with missing apps

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes and no. Google does lots of things without consideration for ROI (basically everything except search). It's not that there's no potential payback on WP8, it's that there's no financial penalty to withhold their services. I think they're very deliberately stiffing WP, and not because of Scroogled. I agree they probably couldn't care less about that. But they do realize that by simply dragging their feet they can create a huge disincentive for people to adopt WP, the biggest threat to their dominance in mobile. They play nice with Apple because Apple has a lot of rich users, many of whom would not buy an Android phone. People always say Google only cares about getting people to use the internet. Well, a key user base for WP is people trading up from feature phones to smart phones. These are digital immigrants, so why isn't Google opening their services to these people? Because they realize that WP is a threat. Plain and simple.

Well, the big decider will be when WP8 gains more marketshare.

WP8 isn't a threat to a Google. It's a future opportunity. There was a time Google would make apps for everyone, but as the Reader palaver shows, Google isn't even going to support non-performing Android apps just because it can.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Ya Google views Windows phone as its threat. They want supremacy in os field that's why they don't bring apps.now me has to push their service into people hand by great advertising they need to create a social network like Google plus nd hangouts.now days hangouts have become the way by which political leaders or cricketers connect to people atleast in India.only if they make their service best they will be hit.or else they will remain the distant third.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I need Square and the other app (Front Desk HQ) I use for business and that would pretty much cover things other than a few games here and there.

DC Comics, is like that app too. Especially if I pick up the 1520.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
A turn by turn navigation Google Maps app, a first party pocket app, and a first party feedly app, a full featured file manager and an app or toggle to completely turn off data would help me move to Windows Phone. I like having fine grain control of my phones storage.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
A turn by turn navigation Google Maps app, a first party pocket app, and a first party feedly app, a full featured file manager and an app or toggle to completely turn off data would help me move to Windows Phone. I like having fine grain control of my phones storage.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Nextgen reader is a pretty great feedly app. And it syncs with pocket as well.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is an enterprise company anymore, I don't understand at all how VPN was ever left out of WP8.

Supposedly with WP8.1 we will get some extent of a file system. Not the source code or anything like android but a place to see your documents, pictures and etc. I want the ability to attach documents to an email from within the email app. That's my biggest iPhone complaint, I have to go to another app to attach an actual PDF or other document and I can't reply to the thread of emails I'm already in. It kills my productivity level. I also really really need some form on Swype, now that Apple is the only company without it I think it's just a matter of time.

I am a fan of competition. Competition always ends well for consumers. Lower prices (Moto X, Nexus 5) and better quality because companies try to out do each other. I am (try) not to be loyal to any one company, I use what works best for the job I need done. At this point WP8 can't handle the job I need done, but for somebody else it might. The best platform for my needs right now is Android and that's what I usually use but my Moto X is not working, I have a warranty replacement on the way.

I also support many many people who are not tech literate and you hear how easy the iPhone is and tech illiterate people are who should have them. My clients use Android....it's cheapest and don't have to many problems navigating it. I don't like in iOS 7 how Apple made so many menus, everything is always in another menu, not top straight forward. But you may feel different. that's the beauty of options.

Is it not serving your needs because of a file manager?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think in this instance the title of this thread makes a mistake. Perception is reality to a lot of people. There are pluses and minuses to all ecosystems but in a world where the 'app' is king WP is lacking and it is a reality regardless of our rose tinted glasses.

The thing to keep in mind here is perception. If I can do all I need on my WP the of course my perception is that WP works for me and I don't notice this gap. However, if I'm a person who wants the latest trend in apps, wants the best functioning apps then WP is behind in this regard.

That's not to say that it isn't catching up, it is, but it's still a bit off. No new social media app starts off with WP, it's always a drag to get the app and when it comes out it usually lacks functions. This I believe has to do more with the OS rather than the ability to make a good app. I think the OS was too restrictive and with WP8.1 I think there will be better apps.

Lots of companies still shun making WP apps. Banks, organisations and there's no point talking about niche apps. So until this trend changes to a more positive direction we'll still hear this kind of thing.

Yes there is an app gap but that all comes down to what you use your phone for or what you might want to use it for. Keep in mind, regardless of the third party apps, people still want to hear the name brand.

One day I hope not to see threads and articles like this. I guess we'll see what happens with WP8.1 and hope this trend stops.

SteviePat

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Always an interesting subject for a thread. And multiple different views - none of them correct and none of them wrong. The main point is that you use what works for you.

Now to my 2 cents - I like to change. I've used iPhone, had android phone and fancied a change so got myself a WP8 phone. And overall - I'm extremely happy with it. Don't get me wrong - its not perfect. But it's my primary phone, I like the OS and I'm excited about 8.1 and the features it will bring. So overall I'm happy to stay with WP8 and my Surface 2 - they do what I need.

On the app question - yes there are still gaps. Let me give you a really straightforward example - my wife is due an upgrade on her mobile phone contract, so perhaps this is the time to move her to WP8. Wrong - and for a couple of very simple reasons. You can't get Candy Crush or Songpop on WP8.

For her it doesn't matter how good the OS is, how stable it is, the new features, the potential etc etc. So she won't switch and it wouldn't matter which argument was used. This is what is stopping MS getting a bigger market share, and why people complain about the app gap. Even though we (and by that I mean the type of user who looks at forums like this and takes an active interest in the OS) can see the benefits and also be pragmatic about the pros/cons, the casual buyer of a mobile phone just wants a phone they can use which has the apps or games they have gotten used to.

Not a complaint - just a fact.

Now - hurry up and get 8.1 released next week so I can enjoy :wink:

Meredith43

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Perfect example! I am trying desperately to move my partner from her ancient iPhone 4s to a Lumia 1020 (she loves the camera), but she will not budge. The Vine app on her iPhone is the one thing she just cannot give up to move to WP8. Yes, we have a Vine app, but apparently it is inferior to the one on iOS.

The interesting thing is that an upgrade is no longer a "no-brainer", sell her iPhone, rush to buy the latest from Apple process anymore. Android never even made a dent in that routine, but WP8 has made her pause a full year to see how WP8 comes along.

BTW, the news of Age of Empires WD coming this summer to WP8 may have tipped the scales over Vine!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is an enterprise company anymore, I don't understand at all how VPN was ever left out of WP8.

Supposedly with WP8.1 we will get some extent of a file system. Not the source code or anything like android but a place to see your documents, pictures and etc. I want the ability to attach documents to an email from within the email app. That's my biggest iPhone complaint, I have to go to another app to attach an actual PDF or other document and I can't reply to the thread of emails I'm already in. It kills my productivity level. I also really really need some form on Swype, now that Apple is the only company without it I think it's just a matter of time.

I am a fan of competition. Competition always ends well for consumers. Lower prices (Moto X, Nexus 5) and better quality because companies try to out do each other. I am (try) not to be loyal to any one company, I use what works best for the job I need done. At this point WP8 can't handle the job I need done, but for somebody else it might. The best platform for my needs right now is Android and that's what I usually use but my Moto X is not working, I have a warranty replacement on the way.

I also support many many people who are not tech literate and you hear how easy the iPhone is and tech illiterate people are who should have them. My clients use Android....it's cheapest and don't have to many problems navigating it. I don't like in iOS 7 how Apple made so many menus, everything is always in another menu, not top straight forward. But you may feel different. that's the beauty of options.

It sucks to have to use a 3rd party app on WP8 to attach docs to an email when Outlook on Windows Mobile was, and is, an absolute beast. Mail Plus works in that respect but it's not my first choice for an email client. It's good for attachments and that's it. I agree with you on the iOS7 UI, I posted some comments about it when it first came out. I don't care for the iPhone but since my boss pays the bill, meh. I carry my iPAQ for personal calls and for all the heavy lifting the iPhone can't do.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It sucks to have to use a 3rd party app on WP8 to attach docs to an email when Outlook on Windows Mobile was, and is, an absolute beast. Mail Plus works in that respect but it's not my first choice for an email client. It's good for attachments and that's it. I agree with you on the iOS7 UI, I posted some comments about it when it first came out. I don't care for the iPhone but since my boss pays the bill, meh. I carry my iPAQ for personal calls and for all the heavy lifting the iPhone can't do.

My favorite iOS 7 tweet was.....my phone looks like a nickelodeon commercial.

Wasn't WM around before the iPhone?

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Always an interesting subject for a thread. And multiple different views - none of them correct and none of them wrong. The main point is that you use what works for you.

Now to my 2 cents - I like to change. I've used iPhone, had android phone and fancied a change so got myself a WP8 phone. And overall - I'm extremely happy with it. Don't get me wrong - its not perfect. But it's my primary phone, I like the OS and I'm excited about 8.1 and the features it will bring. So overall I'm happy to stay with WP8 and my Surface 2 - they do what I need.

On the app question - yes there are still gaps. Let me give you a really straightforward example - my wife is due an upgrade on her mobile phone contract, so perhaps this is the time to move her to WP8. Wrong - and for a couple of very simple reasons. You can't get Candy Crush or Songpop on WP8.

For her it doesn't matter how good the OS is, how stable it is, the new features, the potential etc etc. So she won't switch and it wouldn't matter which argument was used. This is what is stopping MS getting a bigger market share, and why people complain about the app gap. Even though we (and by that I mean the type of user who looks at forums like this and takes an active interest in the OS) can see the benefits and also be pragmatic about the pros/cons, the casual buyer of a mobile phone just wants a phone they can use which has the apps or games they have gotten used to.

Not a complaint - just a fact.

Now - hurry up and get 8.1 released next week so I can enjoy :wink:

I'm not denying that there is an app gap, but that Candy Crush/Songpop example seems to ignore the fact that some people would (and do) choose WP to play Xbox games with achievements that are not available on Android and iOS. No one would say there is therefore an app gap on the part of iOS. Anyway, I get what you are saying but I think too many examples are attributed to the "app gap" because that is such an ingrained way of thinking about it. At some point it more accurately should become "I prefer what iOS (Android) offers" vs. "I prefer what WP offers."

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah there are some apps missing but I am starting to learn how to write apps in my spare time so maybe I can make apps catered to me for my needs..

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not denying that there is an app gap, but that Candy Crush/Songpop example seems to ignore the fact that some people would (and do) choose WP to play Xbox games with achievements that are not available on Android and iOS. No one would say there is therefore an app gap on the part of iOS. Anyway, I get what you are saying but I think too many examples are attributed to the "app gap" because that is such an ingrained way of thinking about it. At some point it more accurately should become "I prefer what iOS (Android) offers" vs. "I prefer what WP offers."

Even the Xbox on WP part is lacking because if I remember correctly many games lack Xbox Integration. Best one I know of is Halo Spartan Assault.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750