thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I posted this same thing on Android Central to get different perspectives.

Tonight for the first time I heard of Carrier IQ and apparently by not having heard of it I live in 1995. Depending on who you are and what platform you're on I guess depends on what you think about it. I've read it as spyware and I've read it as just 'meh'.

Based on what I have found it tracks information about how you use the phone and sends it back to the phone manufacture. Anything privacy based has the potential to be VERY debated and heated debated. Right now I am not looking for opinions I just want facts...what is it and what does it do? The research I have found comes back with very opinionated articles. I don't want opinions I want facts.

Can anybody help me please?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I saw this.....has this changed or do they still not use it? Somebody over on AC suggested WP just has their own version of it.

There really hasn't been any discussion of it since 2 years ago. It might not even exist on Android anymore. It hasn't made the news anywhere. Bing and Google searches turn up old stories from 2011, but I haven't seen anything recent.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
There really hasn't been any discussion of it since 2 years ago. It might not even exist on Android anymore. It hasn't made the news anywhere. Bing and Google searches turn up old stories from 2011, but I haven't seen anything recent.

I can tell you it's being used....this is also what made me do some research.

I am having a lot of problems with my Moto X battery life so I emailed Motorola. They asked for my IMEI and I gave it to them. Motorola responded with battery statistics from my phone saying my problem was bad signal strength. I was curious how they knew that just from my IMEI so I did research and just found Carrier IQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I can tell you it's being used....this is also what made me do some research.

I am having a lot of problems with my Moto X battery life so I emailed Motorola. They asked for my IMEI and I gave it to them. Motorola responded with battery statistics from my phone saying my problem was bad signal strength. I was curious how they knew that just from my IMEI so I did research and just found Carrier IQ.

Carrier IQ has nothing to do with manufacturers and everything to do with "Carriers". Verizon was the only carrier that said they didn't have it back in the day. No carrier uses it today either because of the blowback that happened from it. Even though carrier IQ was nothing but diagnostics so carriers could troubleshoot problems.

Motorola knew about your device because all they needed was your IMEI number. The unique identifier to your phone gives them everything. No reason to worry.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Carrier IQ has nothing to do with manufacturers and everything to do with "Carriers". Verizon was the only carrier that said they didn't have it back in the day. No carrier uses it today either because of the blowback that happened from it. Even though carrier IQ was nothing but diagnostics so carriers could troubleshoot problems.

Motorola knew about your device because all they needed was your IMEI number. The unique identifier to your phone gives them everything. No reason to worry.

Where did you see that? Everything I've read says it's still in use.

Define everything about my phone...

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Any manufacturer can access phone diagnostics with it's IMEI. Has nothing to do with carrierIQ, and carrier in carrierIQ should be a hint its nothing to do with the manufacturer. Everything I've read says Elvis is really alive and aliens are amongst us.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Don't need any, all the sources you out up are from 2011. Way too old to be relevant.

Edit: never mind its still in use. I guess people don't care anymore about it because PRISM and everything else is just as bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion