06-06-2014 10:43 PM
27 12
tools
    I posted this same thing on Android Central to get different perspectives.

Tonight for the first time I heard of Carrier IQ and apparently by not having heard of it I live in 1995. Depending on who you are and what platform you're on I guess depends on what you think about it. I've read it as spyware and I've read it as just 'meh'.

Based on what I have found it tracks information about how you use the phone and sends it back to the phone manufacture. Anything privacy based has the potential to be VERY debated and heated debated. Right now I am not looking for opinions I just want facts...what is it and what does it do? The research I have found comes back with very opinionated articles. I don't want opinions I want facts.

Can anybody help me please?
    04-03-2014 11:32 PM
    04-03-2014 11:50 PM
    Didn't the iPhone come under fire a couple of years ago over the IQ tracking feature?
    Laura Knotek and palandri like this.
    04-03-2014 11:56 PM
    Didn't the iPhone come under fire a couple of years ago over the IQ tracking feature?
    Yes, and Apple no longer supports it on current iOS. Support ended in iOS 5. Apple: We stopped supporting Carrier IQ with iOS 5 | iMore
    palandri and Guytronic like this.
    04-04-2014 12:00 AM
    Sprint had it as I recall.
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-04-2014 12:02 AM
    I saw this.....has this changed or do they still not use it? Somebody over on AC suggested WP just has their own version of it.
    04-04-2014 01:46 AM
    Does anybody not use or stop using Android solely because of this?
    04-04-2014 01:48 AM
    Does anybody not use or stop using Android solely because of this?
    I didn't for that reason.
    Android gave me other reasons to move along.
    04-04-2014 02:02 AM
    I didn't for that reason.
    Android gave me other reasons to move along.
    Why has this IQ deal not been a big deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-04-2014 02:03 AM
    I saw this.....has this changed or do they still not use it? Somebody over on AC suggested WP just has their own version of it.
    There really hasn't been any discussion of it since 2 years ago. It might not even exist on Android anymore. It hasn't made the news anywhere. Bing and Google searches turn up old stories from 2011, but I haven't seen anything recent.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-04-2014 02:05 AM
    Why has this IQ deal not been a big deal?

Old news? I haven't seen any stories recently about it. It might be gone completely.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-04-2014 02:05 AM
    There really hasn't been any discussion of it since 2 years ago. It might not even exist on Android anymore. It hasn't made the news anywhere. Bing and Google searches turn up old stories from 2011, but I haven't seen anything recent.
    I can tell you it's being used....this is also what made me do some research.

I am having a lot of problems with my Moto X battery life so I emailed Motorola. They asked for my IMEI and I gave it to them. Motorola responded with battery statistics from my phone saying my problem was bad signal strength. I was curious how they knew that just from my IMEI so I did research and just found Carrier IQ.

04-04-2014 02:08 AM
    I can tell you it's being used....this is also what made me do some research.

I am having a lot of problems with my Moto X battery life so I emailed Motorola. They asked for my IMEI and I gave it to them. Motorola responded with battery statistics from my phone saying my problem was bad signal strength. I was curious how they knew that just from my IMEI so I did research and just found Carrier IQ.

Carrier IQ has nothing to do with manufacturers and everything to do with "Carriers". Verizon was the only carrier that said they didn't have it back in the day. No carrier uses it today either because of the blowback that happened from it. Even though carrier IQ was nothing but diagnostics so carriers could troubleshoot problems.

Motorola knew about your device because all they needed was your IMEI number. The unique identifier to your phone gives them everything. No reason to worry.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-04-2014 04:10 AM
    Carrier IQ has nothing to do with manufacturers and everything to do with "Carriers". Verizon was the only carrier that said they didn't have it back in the day. No carrier uses it today either because of the blowback that happened from it. Even though carrier IQ was nothing but diagnostics so carriers could troubleshoot problems.

Motorola knew about your device because all they needed was your IMEI number. The unique identifier to your phone gives them everything. No reason to worry.

Where did you see that? Everything I've read says it's still in use.

Define everything about my phone...

04-04-2014 04:19 PM
    Any manufacturer can access phone diagnostics with it's IMEI. Has nothing to do with carrierIQ, and carrier in carrierIQ should be a hint its nothing to do with the manufacturer. Everything I've read says Elvis is really alive and aliens are amongst us.
    04-04-2014 05:15 PM
    Where did you see that? Everything I've read says it's still in use.

Define everything about my phone...

Its not in use, where did you see it still was?

04-04-2014 06:16 PM
    Its not in use, where did you see it still was?

There's tons of articles saying what it does but absolutely nothing saying it's not in use.

04-04-2014 06:52 PM
    There's tons of articles saying what it does but absolutely nothing saying it's not in use.

Sources?

04-04-2014 07:20 PM
    04-04-2014 07:28 PM
    Don't need any, all the sources you out up are from 2011. Way too old to be relevant.

Edit: never mind its still in use. I guess people don't care anymore about it because PRISM and everything else is just as bad.

thatotherdude24 likes this.
    04-04-2014 07:47 PM
    Don't need any, all the sources you out up are from 2011. Way too old to be relevant.

Nothing says it is no longer in use.....everything says it is.

It's own website says it is in use: Carrier IQ
    04-04-2014 07:51 PM
    Nothing says it is no longer in use.....everything says it is.

It's own website says it is in use: Carrier IQ
    Read my update.

04-04-2014 07:52 PM
    Carrier IQ is a diagnostic tool used by some carriers. An agent was embedded into the OS and it collected hardware related data to assist the carrier in troubleshooting customers devices and cell service. Unfortunately, while it wasn't done maliciously, the agent software was coded with little or no security in mind (sadly not uncommon). Therefore, it could theoretically be used as a vector for an attack/hack. Also, the software was logging things like GPS location (for the purpose of correlating location with cell towers/signal problems) and keystrokes, but since it probably isn't legal to collect such data without consent it was a big issue. There was a congressional hearing if I'm not mistaken.

At&t dropped it and Apple stopped including the agent in iOS after the controversy. Windows Phone never implemented it in the OS. Both Windows Phone and iOS are designed in such a way that the agent would either have to be installed by the user and permitted to "access location", etc. or it would have to be built into the OS itself by either Apple or MS. Neither OS exposes APIs that would allow a third party app to access that kind of data in any other way (in many cases the required APIs don't exist at all, like capturing keystrokes system wide). These limitations are by design. Android has no such limitations and it is apparently still in limited use by T-Mobile and Sprint on some Android devices. However, from what I understand the user can opt out in the phone settings (previously the agent was embedded within the OS with no indication to the user) and the agent software has been changed so that it doesn't collect data that would be illegal.

The bottom line is it's only a concern if you are using certain Android devices on certain carriers.
    04-04-2014 08:13 PM
    Carrier IQ is a diagnostic tool used by some carriers. An agent was embedded into the OS and it collected hardware related data to assist the carrier in troubleshooting customers devices and cell service. Unfortunately, while it wasn't done maliciously, the agent software was coded with little or no security in mind (sadly not uncommon). Therefore, it could theoretically be used as a vector for an attack/hack. Also, the software was logging things like GPS location (for the purpose of correlating location with cell towers/signal problems) and keystrokes, but since it probably isn't legal to collect such data without consent it was a big issue. There was a congressional hearing if I'm not mistaken.

At&t dropped it and Apple stopped including the agent in iOS after the controversy. Windows Phone never implemented it in the OS. Both Windows Phone and iOS are designed in such a way that the agent would either have to be installed by the user and permitted to "access location", etc. or it would have to be built into the OS itself by either Apple or MS. Neither OS exposes APIs that would allow a third party app to access that kind of data in any other way (in many cases the required APIs don't exist at all, like capturing keystrokes system wide). These limitations are by design. Android has no such limitations and it is apparently still in limited use by T-Mobile and Sprint on some Android devices. However, from what I understand the user can opt out in the phone settings (previously the agent was embedded within the OS with no indication to the user) and the agent software has been changed so that it doesn't collect data that would be illegal.

The bottom line is it's only a concern if you are using certain Android devices on certain carriers.

I've been through my Moto X up and down and have found no option to opt out.

According to the Carrier IQ website Verizon is in with them.

04-04-2014 08:37 PM
    T-Mobile uses it and it is present on the HTC One M8 and Samsung Galaxy s3 and the Samsung Galaxy Light - even their own community support forums have posts relating to getting rid of it. And it is difficult to opt out of unless you're rooted. But it's good to know that it's not present in WP8.

06-03-2014 01:47 PM
27 12