04-04-2014 12:11 PM
29 12
tools
    I must say that I was surprised at the internet's reaction when Office for iPad came out. The anti-Microsoft crowd came out of the woodwork after a long time in hiding (they've been in hibernation since Windows 8). If I had a nickel for every article that I saw that said that it would never catch on, I could buy Office 365 for life. Between Verge articles, CNET articles, half a dozen New York Time articles, it seemed like not a single person would download it, and now 12 million people use it and Word is top 5 in grossing in the app store. Good for Microsoft.
    I had the same reactions as well.

MS is doing a great a job!
    04-04-2014 09:37 AM
    I had the same reactions as well.

MS is doing a great a job!
    Off topic: You're WPC Ambassador of the month!

On topic: This is great for the Microsoft ecosystem, but I do hope they don't shift to a subscription-only model for Office.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    04-04-2014 09:52 AM
    Off topic: You're WPC Ambassador of the month!

On topic: This is great for the Microsoft ecosystem, but I do hope they don't shift to a subscription-only model for Office.
    Off Topic: Thank You!

On topic again: I think MS will keep it free keeping it as a viewer and have the subscriptions user having full features. It was due to office being free which properly got most of the downloads.
    04-04-2014 09:57 AM
    I must say that I was surprised at the internet's reaction when Office for iPad came out. The anti-Microsoft crowd came out of the woodwork after a long time in hiding (they've been in hibernation since Windows 8). If I had a nickel for every article that I saw that said that it would never catch on, I could buy Office 365 for life. Between Verge articles, CNET articles, half a dozen New York Time articles, it seemed like not a single person would download it, and now 12 million people use it and Word is top 5 in grossing in the app store. Good for Microsoft.
    Well there are many people who are on the Post Office train. But they must realize that there are some of us that simply cannot give up Office. I am in Academia and I consider myself very vanguard. I tried to use iWork and Google Docs, but it is impossible. It is too much heartache especially in terms of compatibility (document sharing etc.) and in many cases features. Simply put, there are some industries where Office is indispensable. True I have a Mac and Office, as a tablet wouldnt work well for me. But I thought that Office was one of the stronger selling points of the surface. Were it available in my country at the time I would have bought it over the MacBook Air I bought.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    04-04-2014 12:11 PM
29 12