Build sold me, but I have nothing to buy.....

mush10

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 seemed to add enough improvements and upgrades that I am ready to finally give Windows Phone a full test drive. I came away very disappointed that the US carriers will not be launching any device with 8.1. As someone who does not currently own a Windows Phone, I am not going to buy a current model for 8.1.

Anybody else in the same situation. It is not just Microsoft and Nokia, but it seems time and time again, companies build excitement and fail to capitalize. Hopefully something is announced soon.

Sent via my S4 on Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I believe the US will get new devices with WP8.1, just not immediately. I'm eligible for an upgrade myself. I'll either wait until the Icon is no longer exclusive and AT&T gets the 930, or I'll wait for the next flagship device on AT&T.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what carrier you have, but the 635 will be launching with WP8.1 in the US. And every other phone that has WP8 will be getting the update to 8.1 as well. Either through developer preview in a few days, or through their carriers in a few months. If you want to test drive 8.1, I say buy a used or refurbished Nokia 92x or 1020 for $200-$300. Or buy a $50 520. All phones will get 8.1. If you want the latest specs, the Icon and 1520 have the exact same specs and features as the 930, so you wouldn't be losing out on anything by buying a few month old phone.

mush10

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I assume the 635 is a lower end phone? I would probably want the next iteration of the 930esque over 1020, but would consider a newer 1020 I have AT&T.

Edited for device #

Last edited:

mush10

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Probably going to hold out for the next model that plays nice with AT&T. I have waited this long hopefully it won't be too much longer without some news.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Same here; it was a bit of a disappointment but considering Build was primarily about software and the Nokia devices purchase is expected to be completed this month, I suppose they decided to hold off before any new major phone announcements. I'm on AT&T. So now I'll install the developer preview on my 920 but I don't want to buy a brand new phone until WP 8.1 and the Lumia Cyan update is officially available for it. I'm hoping by then my options will include something a little smaller than a 1520.

mush10

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking of trying to find a used 925 to try out the OS while I wait.

Posted via Tapatalk from Android, iOS, Windows Phone, or BB10

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am very disappointed. I have tmobile and I want a flagship device but I don't have the funds to buy it at full price. Being on Tmobile Jump and I am upgrade (trade in) eligible. My choices are the iPhone 5s, Galaxy S5 OE the HTC M8. I might go with the S5 as there are no windows phone worth it. I have a 920 Lumia unlocked but I am missing the a tethering and visual voice mail.

Sent from LG G2 on T-Mobile. come on T-Mobile get a flagship Windows Phone!!!!!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I wish tmobile would release a flagship windows phone, so I could "Jump!" To it

mush10

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I wish tmobile would release a flagship windows phone, so I could "Jump!" To it

Looks like we are all stuck waiting a little. I was going to get the 925, but I don't want to pick anything up until 8.1 is on it. I want to try the best Windows Phone has to offer to give it a good shot.

I really hope there are some rumors of new phones for the US by then.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Looks like we are all stuck waiting a little. I was going to get the 925, but I don't want to pick anything up until 8.1 is on it. I want to try the best Windows Phone has to offer to give it a good shot.

This is the real beauty of windows phone, they become dirt cheap in a short period of time. The 920\925 phones can be purchased for next to nothing and swapped or resold easily for minimal loss if you don't like the platform.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
My choices are the iPhone 5s, Galaxy S5 OE the HTC M8. I might go with the S5 as there are no windows phone worth it. I have a 920 Lumia unlocked but I am missing the a tethering and visual voice mail.

That's not the phone issue, all WPs have 'internet sharing'. If your carrier disable it or something, don't blame the phone for it. Also, 920 is still an awesome device, it will get 8.1 and Cortana, and it will perform as smooth as always. I'm sure Nokia will release a couple of new phones in the summer, they tend to release phones a month or two apart. I'm not going to lose any words about voice mail, as it seems to be a very 'murican thing, no one in Europe uses it (you can just send a text???)
I wouldn't replace my 925 with and of those 3 phones, even if I got them for free. I'm not familiar with the iPhone, and I have no desire to, I've used android before, and I prefer WP (though S5 is not a bad phone at all), and M8 has a crappy camera.

ATIV SE is being released soon, no? That's a great phone as well (though you'll miss out on Nokia apps). And if nothing else, you can just switch carriers, at least in Slovenia all it takes to do so is bring a recent bill to the new carrier, and you get to keep the number and everything.

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

if you want to just try the most of wp8,go for lumia 520 etc...

If you want to just try the most of wp8.1,go for lumia 630 (I hope it won't be laggy,Cause i personally had a hunch of a lag,but it won't have lag as a matter of fact,520 running 8.1 was involved in the keyboard worldrecord,that shows it MS is doing it,MAYBE, even better than Apple)

If you want to try the best of WP8/8.1 fiddle with a 930/icon/1520 as apart from 930 Which surely has every new WP8.1 feature,the other both reportedly have sensor core tech of nokia and miracast...

so it is upto you...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss