Why did you decide to buy a windows phone?

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: So what made you pick a windows phone in the first place?

I started out with smartphones with the iPhone 3GS then the iPhone 4S. At first I was considering jumping onto the Note II as soon as my contract was up but then I saw the spec's for the L1520 and I quickly jumped on it. I was always a Windows person and wp 8.0/8.1 looked really cool with the live tiles and customizable start screen.

I'm really glad I didn't go that Note II route......

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

For me it's all about the cloud: MS has it right w/ synchronization across devices, for me being a desktop, a couple laptops, a surface tablet and phone. Everything is where it needs to be and no messing around.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Several things, actually. It was something fresh. The UI was new. It was the discovery process. It was rooting for the underdog. It was seeing M$ make a comeback in the mobile space. It was rooting for the consumer to NOT be monopolized by one or two phone makers/platforms.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

I like to be different & seeing as almost all my friends had Android(that I pretty much dislike now) phones plus the fact that an iPhone was way over my budget.... getting a WP was a pretty simple & obvious choice.
Also, the fact that it came from the manufacturers of the Tank(3310), made the decision all the more easier.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I was a consumer and seduced by Apples design (still think its fantastic) so went all in with Apple, as I started my own business the limitations became apparent so I switched to Google/Android, Its a mess really and I have 100% hate of everything Google and stay well clear of ALL of their products. Now all in with MS as I need Office, Windows, needed IE but no longer the case. The one massive disappointment for me is the task integration on WP. It really is basic and terrible. Hope it changes with the next version of Windows as they say they want to target enterprise more.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

I was a consumer and seduced by Apples design (still think its fantastic) so went all in with Apple, as I started my own business the limitations became apparent so I switched to Google/Android, Its a mess really and I have 100% hate of everything Google and stay well clear of ALL of their products. Now all in with MS as I need Office, Windows, needed IE but no longer the case. The one massive disappointment for me is the task integration on WP. It really is basic and terrible. Hope it changes with the next version of Windows as they say they want to target enterprise more.

The native apps are truly targeted for the consumer audience and, I think, as a means of providing some sort of tool although with hopes a Rudy will come along and make a better tool (healthy ecosystem and all that).

Across the board, they are remaking the software marketing model with software as a service (SaaS). As one who always wants newer/better/faster, I think that's a good thing. Over the years, I've shelled out a lot of money for perpetual licenses, wishing I could afford to replace them when newer versions were introduced.

On the business side, they are certainly pushing SaaS and it does make sense to skip the heavy hardware investment and expense the entire IT amount without having to amortize it. To that end, you have SharePoint, where you can set up project and team sites that work with Project and OneNote and many other tools to enhance task management and delegation.

Could they do better with task integration in WP? Maybe. I'm not sure what that would look like. It would have to be able to sync with Outlook Online and Outlook Desktop. How would you modify it? What functionality is missing for you?

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

I started out with the Iphone, and eventually moved to Android when I got tired of paying Apple prices for a phone. However, Android never satisfied me with the lag and the malware. So on a whim I bought a Nokia 521. It was cheap enough that if I hated it it wouldn't be a big deal as I'd only be out of $99, but I loved it and now I have a Nokia Lumia 635 with Windows 8.1.

Last edited:

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site

Android and iPhones are too mainstream! Wanted sth different. Found the Nokia Lumias unique and sexy. So went for it...

Simon Chu

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

I had an android phone for 6 months (it was my first smartphone, and one of the first "decent" budget android phones in the UK -- the ZTE Blade), but there were too many niggles such as poor performance etc. Then I remembered that Windows Phones had recently come out, had a play with them in the local stores, and liked the cleaner interface, the live tiles and the keyboard (I wasn't used to the android keyboards...).

The LG Optimus 7 was going for fairly cheap (about ?160 sim free) in June of 2011, and that was my first Windows phone. I haven't looked back since -- I moved to a Dell Venue Pro and then a Lumia 620, the latter of which has been in loyal service for 18 months now.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

The native apps are truly targeted for the consumer audience and, I think, as a means of providing some sort of tool although with hopes a Rudy will come along and make a better tool (healthy ecosystem and all that).

Across the board, they are remaking the software marketing model with software as a service (SaaS). As one who always wants newer/better/faster, I think that's a good thing. Over the years, I've shelled out a lot of money for perpetual licenses, wishing I could afford to replace them when newer versions were introduced.

On the business side, they are certainly pushing SaaS and it does make sense to skip the heavy hardware investment and expense the entire IT amount without having to amortize it. To that end, you have SharePoint, where you can set up project and team sites that work with Project and OneNote and many other tools to enhance task management and delegation.

Could they do better with task integration in WP? Maybe. I'm not sure what that would look like. It would have to be able to sync with Outlook Online and Outlook Desktop. How would you modify it? What functionality is missing for you?

I use Onenote extensively as a base for my GTD system (Getting Things Done by David Allen) and outlook. I have many tasks in outlook for project/goal management and the tasks are buried in the calendar app. Ive used 3r party apps like Tasks etc but its not updating correctly. I also have email on manual as I became a slave to the phone, now the phones a slave to me, wish I could update calendar and tasks without having to refresh the email manually.

I havnt used sharepoint (yet) extensively as its a small business and mix personal and business, eg office 365 personal account (5 installations) used (ahem) for business etc.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

I use Onenote extensively as a base for my GTD system (Getting Things Done by David Allen) and outlook. I have many tasks in outlook for project/goal management and the tasks are buried in the calendar app. Ive used 3r party apps like Tasks etc but its not updating correctly. I also have email on manual as I became a slave to the phone, now the phones a slave to me, wish I could update calendar and tasks without having to refresh the email manually.

I havnt used sharepoint (yet) extensively as its a small business and mix personal and business, eg office 365 personal account (5 installations) used (ahem) for business etc.

I set up multiple emails for personal and business. Only the business account syncs with my phone. I figure the personal can wait until I'm at my computer and open Outlook. You might also look at Rules for Outlook Online to see if you can filter some of the incoming so you can flip the switch on auto-sync again.

As for Office 365 for small biz vs. a Home Personal account... The cost difference is minimal ($30/yr ??) and provides a public website as well (info only, no e-tail) in the mix. You get 5 Office installations, but all for a single user log-in vs. the Home account which allows you to install on your wife's computer and phone + an account for the dog. Something I learned after I recommended the Home edition for a startup client. :p Personally running Office 365 University ($80/4 years) which only gives me 2 installs. Soooo glad my phone doesn't count as an additional install. Anyway, 365 Small Biz might be worth a look come renewal time.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I set up multiple emails for personal and business. Only the business account syncs with my phone. I figure the personal can wait until I'm at my computer and open Outlook. You might also look at Rules for Outlook Online to see if you can filter some of the incoming so you can flip the switch on auto-sync again.

As for Office 365 for small biz vs. a Home Personal account... The cost difference is minimal ($30/yr ??) and provides a public website as well (info only, no e-tail) in the mix. You get 5 Office installations, but all for a single user log-in vs. the Home account which allows you to install on your wife's computer and phone + an account for the dog. Something I learned after I recommended the Home edition for a startup client. :p Personally running Office 365 University ($80/4 years) which only gives me 2 installs. Soooo glad my phone doesn't count as an additional install. Anyway, 365 Small Biz might be worth a look come renewal time.

Yep will have a look when its time, am on the E plan with MS for exchange email, already have the hosting and website up, the reason I didn't get Office biz is the reason you mentioned, I have installed for different users :p When I need more than 5 licenses I will take a look as they are always changing the plans around. Will be very interesting to see what MS offer enterprise in 12 months time. I have a feeling they will be a runaway success with both windows and WP + stores integrated.

Mostafa_SH

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site

I bought it because of the live tiles and the camera. I originally hated android and the reason is that my dad have an android and its so laggy and force closing apps.

godse573

May 9, 2014
Visit site

It is so simple, yet so useable. I love how easy it was to use it and at the same time it is extremely advanced. Lastly, who doesn't want to stand out and be a part of something new and revolutionary?

Donna Gorman1

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

I first decided to buy a Lumina 920 because of the tiles for my husband who thinks he can hear and see but really can't do either very well, but refuses to admit it. I love him anyways, deaf and/or blind. He's refusing a miracle ear, but damn it, he loves his phone! It now doesn't take him so long to see who's calling him that they hang up before he answers. Now he can see right away who he's screening calls from.

Then, after being jealous of the phone and tiles he had, I decided to invest quite cheaply in a Lumina 520 for myself. I adore it. I can even track my where-abouts on Nokia Drive when I'm driving without using any data minutes. And mostly, because I only use the phone for shopping or emergencies, I can have a Go Phone package.

What's not to like? :smile:

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site

All my smartphones have been from business oriented companies: RIM or a Microsoft OEM. As I've come to use Microsoft services more, and given Nokia's hardware, Windows Phone has won out over BlackBerry.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I meant to mention that I also loved the Xbox integration. Here maps, and achievements.

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

I come from Windows Mobile. When I bought my first smartphone, there was only Siemens, Palm, HP and HTC that were big players, and most of them running Windows Mobile.

killinghall

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

After owning the iPhone 3GS/4/4S I simply got tired 😫 of iOS and the phone itself, as well as the jailbreaking routine. I wanted a leaner OS, and iOS kept expanding with silly features I never needed. The iPhone 5, with its horrific tallness, was the last straw that pushed me to WP.

Android OS is extremely poor in the aesthetics department, and there's no way I was gonna support some Korean company with their cheap, plasticky looking phones.

The sleek 1020 came in yellow, my favourite colour, touted a first class camera 📷 to compliment my hobby in photography.

A year on, still very happy 😊 with both software and hardware. 8.1 changed a lot of things for the better without making the OS clunky.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz