Why did you decide to buy a windows phone?

Ragav Chef

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: So what made you pick a windows phone in the first place?

i have been using nokia phone for past 10 year my first was 1100 thn 1616 thn n 73, c5 , c2, x2, n9, lumia 710 , 810 at a point of time i felt buying android phone, which made me to buy sony miro(worth less phone) i sold it in 2 months then bought lumia 720 and using it for past 9 months am so happy and i bought lumia for one thing is the brand NOKIA

drkimo

May 29, 2014
Visit site

I don't need a mobile OS with 600,000 inane game apps.... I need one that handles files I actually use every day (word, excel, etc.)... Every other OS uses 3rd party apps to handle those files - it's like putty a cheap Chevy engine in a BMW M3 - it may work, just not as well!

chataddicted

May 29, 2012
Visit site

My first phone was Omnia w. My smart phone revolution story is in the year 2007 i passed 12 th standard and admitted in a college. At that time there was no smart phone in India except blackberry. The price was beyond my reach. But i knew one day definitely i would buy one. My father gave me his reliance mobile. The price of the phone was $15/ ₹999. He gave this phone for practicing handling a cell phone in college and public vehicle.. After 2 months trial i became a Dr. In mobile phone handling. Then one day he took me to a store and bought me a Sony Eriksson w700. It was a great feature phone and i loved it's sound quality. That time Nokia features phones like 6600, n71, n76 and n91 was ruling in the Indian market. Blackberry was hardly found in anyone's hand. I was very happy with w700. I can still remember i impressed so many girls in Mah college with this phone. I stacked with that phone for 3yrs. In mid time i bought three other features phones. Motorola was among them. Then i took admission in masters. At that time the phone market of india revolving in every second... There came touch screen Android iphone nokia symbion and also somany bold and curves from blackberry. I decided to get rid of the features phone and buy one smartphone of mid range from my savings... So i make a google for smartphones. There was near about 100 sof Android. But as you know i always look for something new something eye-catching for girls... Something really really odd from others. So i selected an exceptional phone both in specs and os it was Samsung omnia w. I did not buy lumia bcz at that time very few nokia apps was available in wpmarketplace but omnia w can beat any lumia phone in specs in that price range. So omnia was my first smartphone. It was amazingly fast. And display was gorgeous. I used that phone for 2years. Then again twist in my story ms introduced windows phone 8. 7.8 for there old mango os. I upgraded to tango lost my job my girlfriend got a superb job bought a bigscreen android and i stuck on os 7.8 due to shortage of money. Wp8 started growing. New apps new features are coming on that platform and we the 7.8 user s had no luck. I was depressed with my omnia. And decided to try android for a month and exchanged my omnia with my gf's android. At first it was felt amazing..the screen was so big. There are plenty of apps which i really missed on my omnia but i get bored totally bcz it was an android with no live tile no fastness and fluidity highly buggy os. For eg i regularly used mixtape apps on my wp during bed. But the android apps 8track shutdown after playing 5songs automatically. There are somany lags on that phone. And so i decided to buy a wp8 at any cost but how??????? I dont hv job no savings then how? I exchanged my omnia w with a guy who gave me his bold9900 in exchange then i published an advertisement in olx my bold for ₹7000 /$110 itwas sold. Iget 7000buks in my pocket. Next i sold all my remaining features phone for 2000 buks i got 9000 and borrow 3000 from my girlfriend finally got enough cash for lumia 620. In the mean time i got a bbry 9300 frm my father. Thus i achieved a lumia wp8.. Its my love story for windows phone... Chataddicted

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I am a person who likes to be different. When i was looking for my first smartphone I was mostly chasing the best specs. I knew I didn't want an iPhone because, again, I wanted to be different. Then I came across the wp8 keynote. The live tiles, the colors, the customization, the metro design language; I loved ask of it. I held off buying until the new wp8 phones were coming out. I picked up an HTC 8x since it was the best phone on Verizon. It has been an awesome phone. Because of windows phone I picked up a surface pro and since then I have switched to the pro 3, which is the best computer I have ever used. I'm now all Microsoft, just last month I deleted both my Gmail accounts. Life is pretty great. Now I'm contemplating getting the Lumia icon or waiting til threshold phones since I don't know if I can part from my lovely 8x.

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

Feature phone ==> Symbian ==> Windows Mobile ==> Palm OS ==> MeeGo ==> Windows Phone

I want to have WebOS in that list too, but sadly it's one of those company strategy with "US and the rest of the world" mentality. Grey market price is ridiculously overpriced and when I'm ready to jump in it's already announced not-supported.

Obviously the next is Windows Phone. I've been using Microsoft's service and until this day never made a single Google account.
When Windows Phone (and then Windows 8) is announced, I'm loving the visual design and promise of integration across Microsoft's products. Unfortunately the Universal Apps is still a minority in the Store.

Most of all, I love the potential that Windows Phone can integrate the applications into the OS. I really love the plug-in module for chat in Meego; the chat applications are just modules that let the built in Chat application to connect to different network. I'm dreaming that the Hubs will go even further. All social network stream united in the Peoples hub, Photo editing through the Photo hub, feeds through News hub, etc.
This is my misunderstanding, and a huge let down when seeing Microsoft decided for separate chat applications in 8.1 instead of building more hubs for common tasks.

Starts with HTC Mozart, until a damned pickpocket took it out of my pocket (may he be blessed with incurable ED)
Next is a Lumia 720 that works fine and still look good despite sliding out of my shirt pocket more than I can count in one hand. Oh, and it falls on my face several times when I'm using it on the bed. Still smooth, my face, not so. Screen is good, as well as camera (although I usually use dedicated camera). It has a lot of application and alternatives, but not all.

Wont call myself a ******, it's just that "I don't love you, I just hate them more" thing against Apple and Google because of their fanboys. Although, after Steve passed away, the ooh-aah thing with Apple fanboys seems to settle down to the more bearable level so, I starts to warm up to them :p
Well, got myself an old iPhone recently for apps use. Now I can use Windows Phone without agonizing about apps or getting frustrated from putting hope and expectation on Microsoft. Just use it as it is and watch from the sideline if the platform will rise or breaks.

k_kjong

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

My first one is HTC HD7. I bought it on the first day it went on sale in the US. Love the UI and tiles of Windows Phone, and still love it on my current Lumia 925. The only gripe I have with Windows Phone is how IM works. From Windows Phone 7, 7.5, 8, until now 8.1, I never have a perfect experience with the IM clients, such as Whatsapp and Line. Often times there are delays, or I might not receive any notification when I received message. On the app front, I have all the app I need, just missing some games though. Overall, I am content with my Windows Phone.

NoPantsFaceHug

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Xbox live, I'm an achievement lover. I don't deny it. Then I fell in love with it. Started with HTC HD7 on T-Mobile, terrible service switched to AT&T Lumia 920. Ringer broke traded it at Microsoft store for 1020. Only had it for 3 months till I realized AT&T doesn't support WP. Left them for Verizon, got an ICON. Love it.

Last edited:

MrA2Z

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I am one of the early adopters of WP. I was browsing gsmarena and techradar for my new phone. It's my habit to go for something different. I bought WP only due to the UI and design. I just loved it. After that I selected Omnia 7. Usually I compare the hardware first and then look for OS but in this case I selected the OS and then looked for affordable hardware.

After nearly four years: I am still in love with this UI. People around me got iPhone and Android, I can't find any attraction in their plain designs.

jonda99

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
After using iOS for a year and Android for 3, I thought I'd check out WP. My daughter had a 900 for a while, and liked it. She did jump ship though because of app selection. I played with the 900 a bit, and loved the Live Tiles. I thought the Android widgets were suppose to work like this but never did. I picked up my 1520 this spring and now with the 8.1 update, I will probably never look back. The only thing that bugs me is the app quality. While all the apps I used on Android are on WP, the quality isn't there yet. But the WP OS is soooooo much smoother and faster than the others I doubt I could ever change back. I've always used MS products like hotmail, OneDrive, and yes I prefer IE over Chrome. The Google stuff is so unintuitive to me compared to MS. Love the WP, now I'm hoping MS doesn't screw up the hardware side that Nokia perfected.

Lokiwp

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

When I started to think of buying a smartphone I use to watch youtube videos of every phone I liked.
There are only 2 reason that I did not choose other than LUMIA :
1- I don't wanted to go for android as I was bored of it.
2- I couldn't afford Iphone.

I heard of Lumia in advertisements and just went to youtube for OS and hardware reviews and instantly fall in Love with the phone.
I didn't even wasted my time to look other phone and bought Lumia 710 but I lost it after 4 months and after spending 2 month of depression time I again started to look for better windows phone on forums and youtube and then again fall in love with Lumia 720 and bought it november 2013.
I am still using it and always love my phone.
Nokia is always best and their blend of Lumia hardware and windows phone OS made it much better phone which is getting a lot of love from everywhere.
I always get praise for my phone camera picture quality, it's looks and brother loves doing music recording as it has capability better audio using HAAC mic.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

I'm a long time BlackBerry user, and have always liked the platform for communications, personal information management and reading documents with some editing. All-in-all, a work phone.
My latest BlackBerry, a Q10, was one of them that developed the double typing issue. With no apparent fix, and no help from BlackBerry, I was ready to move on to a new platform, and WP 8 is the best out of the bunch for my needs. So far with a week and a half on a Nokia Lumia Icon, I think I've made a good choice.

Deaconclgi

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Nokia. Plain and simple. I have used Nokia phones since 2005, owned their best smartphones such as the legendary Nokia N82, N8, 808 PureView, N900 and many other devices such as the C7, E63, E73, 5300, 5310, 5230 and so forth. I even have a working Nokia 918+, from 1997!!! The battery still holds a charge.

After Elop prematurely killed Symbian, I was eagerly awaiting a more advanced NOKIA phone, I didnt care the OS. Even though I used Android, iOS and Windows Mobile devices, Nokia hardware, screens, speakers, microphones, cameras and overall build quality and complete package is unmatched so I simply followed Nokia.

T-Mobile had the Lumia 710 on sale for around $40 and the price convinced me to finally give Windows Phone a shot.

Symbian is more advanced than Windows Phone, even today, so I wasn't excited about the limitations of the new Windows Phone OS. The slick WP interface with speedy animations, potent web browser (about 200 years ahead of the Symbian web browser) and a future filled with OS updates and new applications sealed the deal for me as far as the OS.

Nokia continued their stellar hardware releases at all price points and I have never looked back to another OS for my main device.

As a writer and IT professional, I own Windows Phone, iOS, Android and Symbian devices, all in working condition, yet my SIM stays in my Windows Phone devices exclusively.

WP has limitations that I have learned to deal with but so does every operating system. The pros of Windows Phone outweigh the few cons that arise based on my needs for a smartphone OS.

I am glad that Microsoft hasn't given up on Windows Phone yet.

Samm Neiland

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

My first phone was the Lumia 710, so I actually jumped on to the Windows Phone train pretty late into 7.5 (I think Tango had come out right around that time, but anyway).

For the longest time I was sort of a Nokia purist, like... I can't even explain why. Something about the reliability of the hardware just made it something I kept coming back to, and my first phone had been a Nokia phone (back when flip phones were still the thing) so I was REALLY happy when Nokia announced they were making Windows Phones because everything about Windows Phone from a design standpoint just light up all the right light bulbs in my brain.

The simplistic UI, the use of solid colours, the choice in font, but more than anything, just how everything felt totally comprehensive and fluid. As much as I understand the design and philosophy of iOS and Android, I find them a complete pain to use. Any of the Apps inside those mobile operating systems feels completely disjointed from the system as a whole. This works okay for a computer given you need to do some very specific tasks with a computer, its a pain on mobile since I see the mobile platform only really usable for two things. Exchange of information and consumption of content.

That's where I feel like Windows Phone shines the most. It makes the whole experience of using your phone fluid and fast in a way that's both simple and visually appealing but also delivers to you information effectively and immediately without being an overload of stimuli.

alpha128

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site

I have a long history before jumping boat to Lumia 920, I was all the while Nokia ******, owned most of the N series through out my colleage and uni year, then my first "real" smart phone was the infamous Samsung Galaxy S, it was running Android 2.2 and it was horrible, back in that days I always have the "phone call slide of death", anyone called me had a chance unable to pick up due to the slide of death, then update to 2.3, my god it doesnt fix much, force to root and do this and that, it just keep getting worse, and getting slower.

The following year I bought iPhone4s, being owner of Macbook pro not getting iPhone was a big joke to my friends and family, so I have it, screen was small, everything small, doesn't like the eco system due to Android too open, sold it off after 3 months and getting HTC One X, I though HTC One X will be my next killer phone, but no I having hard time with it instead, phone arrived half dying (wifi and call signal always drop), speaker and mic very soft, screen died after 3 months, motherboard died after 8 months, screw it!

Then saw my friend using Lumia 700, omg so smooth and nice, i mean not prefect but as normal phone usage it was prefect, I dont play games much on mobile, if i playing it will be on my psp or 3ds, I just want a good phone at least able to facebook, read pdf/ebook, and office doc will be big plus. Years later I pre-order Lumia 920 and using it till now, I am happy, I even bought Lumia 525 for my mom and she love it, and it's her first smart phone.

I really love Windows phone and with 8.1, I tried to spread the love to my friends and colleagues, they always give me some reasons such no apps or games, games wise I know lacking but for apps Windows Phone have some popular apps available and they all working fine, nevertheless good works Microsoft and Nokia, do elignten us in the future release!

TL;DR: Been thru iOS and Android and fell in love to Windows Phone

kittananj

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My dumb reason to switch to Windows Phone is my broken heart.

I saw the girl that I like her (but I never tell her before) got a new boyfriend. She uses iPhone and he uses BlackBerry.

I want to use the other one that doesn't use two OS. I decided to use Windows Phone instead of Android, Symbian and MeeGo. Because of it's beautiful design and it looks cool!

First, I eyed on HTC 7 Trophy. It's very beautiful phone. But when I saw the news that it had many problems. I decided to eye on HTC 7 Surround.

It's very beautiful phone, again. But it only available for AT&T and it never come to Thailand. (in Thailand, HTC choose HD7 and 7 Mozart to sell only)

When I was deciding to choose my next phone. I saw that Microsoft and Nokia will be collaborated to deliver the Windows Phones, I choose Nokia.

When Lumia 800 announced, I was waiting for it to come to Thailand. In January, Nokia and AT&T announced Lumia 900. I moved my decision to Lumia 900.

After that my working website sent me an invitation to go to report a news in announcement event at CentralWorld. I'm ready exciting to touch it. First impression, it's really nice. Beautiful design, very fluid and it's really cool! So I decided to switch to Lumia.

Sadly, Microsoft announced that Windows Phone 7.x will be no longer supported. Along with the rumor mill said that Nokia will be announced the new phone that have a PureView camera. So I decided to wait for my next Lumia. And I finally got my first Lumia, Lumia 920.

Today, I have 4 Lumias, Lumia 920, Lumia 925, Lumia 1520 (that I'm typing) and my newest member Lumia 630.

Now, I feel that iOS is a very boring OS. And Android is not good enough for me. That's my reason why I use three Windows Phones!

Last edited:

tpitts15

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I've always had my ear to the ground for new tech. I'm particularly intrigued by companies trying to rebrand themselves or launch a completely new division to take on a new market. Microsoft's Zune had always interested me for the sole reason that nobody had one. I was bored by all the iPhones and iPods out there because they were so common, but when I saw somebody carrying around a Zune, I took notice and usually even asked to see it. The fact that they were so scarce may actually have fueled my desire, or at least my curiosity for the product. For this reason, when Microsoft announced the development of the Zune HD, I was all ears. I watched every step of the design through what leaks I could find and watched hours of hands-on videos when demo units finally started seeing the light of day. I thought the minimalist design was brilliant. My preorder of the 32 GB silver Zune HD is arguably the action that set me on the Windows Phone path I'm on today, along with one other detail.

In the summer of 2010, I had my mind made that I would cash in my severely outdated Motorola Q9h running Windows Mobile 6.5 for the white version of the newly redesigned iPhone 4. As some of you may recall, the white version, to my dismay, was delayed by Apple indefinitely (finally coming out 9 or 10 months later). This delay caused me to abandon my thoughts of jumping onboard the Apple train and I haven't looked back since. I had been paying attention to the development of Windows Phone 7 (Windows Phone 7 Series at the time) and loved that it built on the style of my Zune HD's operating system. I must admit, I felt slightly burned by Microsoft by the lack of support and app development for the Zune HD; I think they overpromised a bit much on that one. However, I noted that with the scrapping of Windows Mobile from their lineup, Microsoft would have to go all in with Windows Phone. Again, I am drawn to tech that is new and not widely familiar.

After much research, I picked out my Samsung Focus on December 26th, 2010 and was immediately captured by the operating system. In the store the day I bought the phone was my first time to interact with Windows Phone and it was everything I hoped it would be. You could argue that I had never had an iPhone or Android-running device to compare my experience to, but that was just it: everybody else had those devices and I could play with their phones any time I liked. If I wanted to play with Windows Phone, it would have to be my own phone. I could not put the phone down for a week. Normally, a new phone gives me about a day of that new phone experience during which I am locked to the device like a moth to a lamp. The Focus, with its Windows Phone OS of which I had to explore every nook and cranny, gave me an entire week. From that week on, I was as locked into Windows Phone as a sorority girl who doesn't know the difference between a jpeg and a wireless router is locked into her endless cycle of iPhones.

I could go on to describe my progression from that Focus to my current Lumia 920, but that would take a much longer narrative in that it would include my reactions to all the subsequent iterations of Windows Phone and its hardware. It will suffice for me to mention in conclusion that my loyalty to Windows Phone, though questioned by many of my comrades (though just as many of them are coming round to seeing it as a viable option), will continue for the foreseeable future and most likely into the unforeseeable future as well.

Shad0x64

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I love betas, fixing problems and learning everything about my technology. Still have my ppc6500/6600 and XP beta 2417 disc.

Last edited:

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

Love for Nokia phones. Never used another brand phone even for 24 hrs let alone owning one. And I got to admit that after being used to WP UI, I won't be able to use Android or IOS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo